LegacyGT.com

Header recommendations

Bochim

I think my stock manifold has developed a small hole or crack. So I will probably go with an aftermarket header. Currently everything from my manifold back is aftermarket w/o converters. 16g turbo. Also the car will be getting re-tuned again soon anyway.

Equal or Unequal??? I want fast spool and more power. Keeping the Subaru sound would be a plus, but is a non issue if the gains are there. (And how much of a gain vs the other?)

What kind/brand? Your recommendations / opinions / 2 cents, are greatly appreciated.

Had gt spec uel love the sound hate the performance, had gt spec ElH got offered amazing $$$ for them for what I paid so I sold. Then found Perrin ElH set with approx 30k from original owner do another hard 30k on my car before cracking at the center section merge. Currently running I think agency ElH that are garbage and likely to crack soon. Bought used very cheap for me to get by.

Ideallly saving for Full Race ElH with Ewg up. To accommodate my current setup

Definitely EL. Leave the sound of slow in your past. The Tomei EL header I put on the car when I had a 16G was worth about 20whp at peak and more at lower revs. Had it on 60,000km or so now and it still hasn't cracked. Great value for money.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Looks like Ill be getting the EL.

I see a lot of 3 bolt flange headers come with their own up pipe. my up pipe now does not have the temp sensor port, and i have wired in a resistor to the plug, not sure if I still have the sensor...

I could just plug the new one.

Has anyone done any kind of test to see if having/not having that sensor actually hooked up and working gives any kind of gain or loss?

Also, any difference in the Tomei and gtspec el? Noone has the gtspec and Iv read a few things on here saying they are exactly the same?

The only one I would consider is the KillerB Holy Header. Nothing else compares IMO. The Full Race stuff is also nice, but only if you're going with a much larger/rotated turbo setup.

Does the Full Race have larger primaries? I was under the impression these both are stock(ish) sizing?

http://killerbmotorsport.net/exhaust-products/performance-headers/el-4-1-performance-holy-header-2-bolt.html - $1249

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo-manifolds/subaru-wrx-sti-ej20-ej25-prostock-2-bolt-1-5scroll-lower-turbo-manifold.html - $1182

I thought about the Killer B, but didn't like that sharp bend right after the collector. Every installed pic showed the pipe blued up there, so I assumed it was a choke point of heat. The Full Race isn't 321 stainless, but it's 316H stainless and is lifetime warrantied against cracks and is a thick wall stainless so it theoretically should retain heat very well? I didn't realize the primaries even of the 1.5 scroll were larger, that could be a problem.

• Moderators

If you get them ceramic coated, does the use of 321 stainless matter much?

I have the Invidia 1.5 scroll with a 16g. I love/hate the one-piece design (no flange at the UP), but it is what it is. I think they are considered "big tube" headers, so probably a bit much for the 16g and I know for a fact that my setup is definitely maxing the current 16g, but that's ok. I'm sure the big tube headers add a bit more lag, but with the 16g it's still plenty quick to spool up.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The KillerB collector flows really well, and despite the bend, the whole assembly has very short and efficient routing, and it allows for quick spool on the street compared to many other headers. From a heat retention standpoint the KB 321 vs the Full Race is about the same, but the Full Race does it with wall thickness so the header is heavier.

The Full Race stuff is awesome, but my car is a street car with some track use, and when I looked at the FR in person it just looked like it was built around it's name "Full Race," which, despite racecar, isn't really the main purpose of my car. You cannot go wrong with either though.

Archived