LegacyGT.com

EJ255 replacement options

Anybody know a fair mechanic near 26101 that would have any idea how to under take this task? My mechanic friend and I are pretty convinced we can do a swap in/swap out job, but building one up from damn near scratch... Me thinks my little red wagon is destined for craigslist...

Thanks for the props. Don't let the prospect of a complete rebuild intimidate too much if you have just a little inclination to do it, especially if you have a mechanic friend that can help. Really, it's not that difficult once you've done your research and watched the vids provided in my build thread - that really helped me A LOT. Not to mention the help you can get here, which I turned to throughout my build as well - there are lots of people here that know these cars and have been through the process themselves who can answer what seems like project stopping questions you'll come across. if you can get your head around the amount of time and $ it will take you to pull it off going in, then IMO you've won the battle. That's one thing a lot of people either seem to think - it will take less time (like I did, I thought I'd have a running car in a couple of weeks - it took 3 mos) or just don't think about the time aspect going in. My other car was a bicycle :eek:

The most difficult thing for me in my rebuild was mostly taken care of by the machine shop. If you can find a decent machine shop that knows these engines, they will take care of the crucial fitment part provided you provide them with your parts and get the engine halves/heads inspected to see what you're up against before purchasing pistons and fitment cylinder bore/hone. The rest is much akin to building a jig-saw puzzle which takes time/patience.

IMO a rebuild would be so much better than a swap for sooooo many reasons. If you're swap has 100K on it, what's the point?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a little update, I got a little more back from my taxes than I had anticipated, so I'm going to go the beater route. That way, I can save up and do it right or get it closer to payoff and cut my losses. We'll have to see how the wind blows on that one. Either way, I really appreciate the input, suggestions, and even the arguments (I needed a laugh!)! Thanks again!

I'd find someone willing to trade the LGT shell for a running car.

This. Even if you succeed in swapping an n/a motor into an LGT you will lose all residual value in the vehicle, all of it, even if you can get it running for the budget you have, which probably won't happen either. Flip the GT to someone who does want to put the time and effort into making it right, while you sputter off into the sunset in whatever beater you can trade for it or buy with the proceeds. Do not spend more money making an even bigger mess out of the GT than it is already.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived