LegacyGT.com

Poor Legacy Review...

LegacyLover

Hello everyone,

I was considering purchasing either 2006 Legacy Gt. Limited or a 06 AWD Passat. After seeing the user reviews on Edmunds.com however the passat seems to be the obvious choice with a 9.7 and the Legacy with a mere 7.8

I stumble upon this website however and decided to ask what you all think, because I personally liked the Legacy better. I have pretty good reviews about the legacy, saying its not quite in the same catagory as BMW and Audis and Mercedes but its close, especially considering the price.

My only concerns about the legacy however (forgive me if these have already been answered in another post) are:

1. The legacy I drove seemed to have a bit of turbo lag off the line...granted it was a demo with 5000 miles and could have been slightly...abused. I was wondering if any of you experience the turbo lag and what (if anything) you did to improve it.

2. Around some turns you can feel the backend slightly well...not sliding but it doesnt seem to be "griping" the road very well. Would some new tires resolve this problem perhaps?

3. The dealer doesnt seem to know when they will be available with nav so I am wondering if anyone knows where I could find an aftermarket one that would fit in that little compartment where it would normally go.

All in all the Legacy seems to be a great car and a blast to drive. I only had some minor concerns and wanted to ask you guys why you thought the review to be so low on edmunds.

Thanks for your time

Ummmmm....just checked and 2005 Legacy Consumer rating is a 9.2.

Anywho - Yes, there's a touch of lag...then a burst of power (hey, all turbo's have it). Yes, the handling can be improved. It rolls just a bit and the stock tires are for crap (if you like aggressive driving). But, those are easy and moderately priced upgrades on can take care of later. However, I found that after having owned a WRX for 3 years, I welcomed the serenity and ride 'quality' of the Leg. Finally, retro fitting a NAV would be a pita - and I believe that '06 models have it as an avail option.

No experience here with the new VW.

First off, welcome to the board.

Fuel mileage might be one of those issues, which brings the rating down a little. Tires are DEFINATELY one of the poor qualities of this car, and many members have moved on to bigger, and better. They WILL help, in the end...as the potenza's REALLY suck!

As for tightening up the rear, yes, I agree, and have since moved on to a bigger front and rear swaybar combo. Definately improves things. New springs will only enhance the feeling of the 'floaty' suspension. However, Subaru has a Legacy Spec B. (limited to 500 produced here), that has the Bilstein Suspension, aluminum/aluminium suspension bits, nav. 5 speed MT with tire pressure monitoring system, etc. Don't know the final pricing on it yet, but that would be a nice car...alongside the red leather interior. Might want to wait for the '06s to come out...as most will be offered with Navi.

'06's are available now...but in limited quantities...so if you prefer to order one, that might be a good thing...or just wait till some more show up at the lots...I am sure that by Oct./Nov. there will be more available.

If you want a wagon, with 5 speed MT, you have to act quick...cause there will be NONE for '06. Just another thought.

As for the passat, well, I don't have any first hand experience, but I would never buy a VW...electrical gremlins...etc. Plus, I don't really like the new styling.

Anyway, good luck...and don't let the mod bug bite too hard...if you do decide to get the LGT. See ya!

My first point to address is the difference between a typical Subaru Owner and a typical VW Owner. This came up in a discussion with a friend of mine who is an admitted "VW Person."

The "VW People" aren't car people. They are instead people hung up on an image of dependability, practicality, quality, and comfort. VW People LOVE their cars, but they USUALLY aren't car enthusiasts. They're sold on an image. VW People also frequently are crazy about Apple products and similar brands that convey an image of sensability, comfort and maybe even "quirkiness." Yet, for some reason, friends who have owned VW's and had a horrible ownership experience seem to go back and buy another because they say "That was just a bad year for that car" or "They've gotten better" or, my personal favorite "I plan to take better care of this one."

Subaru people share some common traits in that we like things that are quirky, often get associated with a lifestyle (outdoorsy folks), and like practicality in our cars. From there, we part paths. Subaru owners are also particularly picky. We're known for knowing more about the cars than the dealerships (and I used to work in one ... there's a LOT of truth to this). We are willing to go to great lengths to get the dealer to fix things that aren't perfect, and we complain about nit-picky items. We also aren't concerned enough about defending our cars to over-rate them. Finally, we are often shopping the Subaru against cars like Audi and BMW, versus a VW owner who might be more frequently shopping against Nissan or Mazda. I don't know why these factors are this way, but this has been my observation.

If you want to look at quality, check out long term dependability for the VW - they're among the worst, and also check out resale. There's a reason the VW brand has such low resale.

Ok, so turbo lag ... yup, there is lag. One thing you can do is buy an AccessPORT from Cobb Tuning, which will help a bit, but really, it's not too much of a problem. Once you hit about 2500 rpm, there's plenty of go. If you drove an Automatic, you might have experienced a little more lag.

Tires would definitely be an improvement as the Subaru community generally hates the OEM RE92 rubber at the corners.

Nav - Look around in the "Interior/Audio" forum for more info on that - It isn't really clear what the full story is on Navigation in the Legacy.

A 9.2 really? Here it shows 7.8 for me:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/pricerange/25k35k/sedan/index.html?typeindex=T&tid=edmunds.n.typeindex.content.num3.0.*

However, I found out only 1 person has rated it. You all need to go bring that rating up! =).

Anyways thanks for the great feedback guys, I think I have pretty much made up my mind, even from the few comments posted here.

Thanks much

First off, there is one review on that page, and it is not even for a LGT, it's for a 2.5i. Second, if you look under "consumer reviews" you will find 200 of them for the 2005 LGT (automatic!) and a rating of 9.2. Third, buying by someone else's subjective "rating" is a sure way to get what someone else wants. Statistically valid ratings for reliability and problem areas such as those in Consumer Reports are OK. Your judgment trumps a lot of the subjectivity. One fellow recently got rid of his LGT because he hated the seats, and it's an unfortunate part of having cars that there are compromises in them. If just one of those compromises drives you crazy, all the ratings in the world won't help you.

Hello everyone,

I was considering purchasing either 2006 Legacy Gt. Limited or a 06 AWD Passat. After seeing the user reviews on Edmunds.com however the passat seems to be the obvious choice with a 9.7 and the Legacy with a mere 7.8

I stumble upon this website however and decided to ask what you all think, because I personally liked the Legacy better. I have pretty good reviews about the legacy, saying its not quite in the same catagory as BMW and Audis and Mercedes but its close, especially considering the price.

My only concerns about the legacy however (forgive me if these have already been answered in another post) are:

1. The legacy I drove seemed to have a bit of turbo lag off the line...granted it was a demo with 5000 miles and could have been slightly...abused. I was wondering if any of you experience the turbo lag and what (if anything) you did to improve it.

2. Around some turns you can feel the backend slightly well...not sliding but it doesnt seem to be "griping" the road very well. Would some new tires resolve this problem perhaps?

3. The dealer doesnt seem to know when they will be available with nav so I am wondering if anyone knows where I could find an aftermarket one that would fit in that little compartment where it would normally go.

All in all the Legacy seems to be a great car and a blast to drive. I only had some minor concerns and wanted to ask you guys why you thought the review to be so low on edmunds.

Thanks for your time

The 7.8 on edmunds.com is for the 2006 Legacy 2.5i. Thats the only 2006 review they have in edmunds.com. As others said, the reviews from 2005 would be more appropriate if you were considering a LTD GT. I am sure VW Passat is a very good car, but may be comapring VW to GT instead 2.5i might be more appropriate.

Review: I just bought this car a few days ago and it is really a joy to own! The selling points for me were the 30 mpg along with the AWD. The handling is great and the Yokohama tires along with the 17" rims are very sharp. The 4 cylinder 168 hp engine is surprisingly quick and I like the available sport mode. At just over $23k it is a great buy. The only negative aspect is that the rear legroom is minimal.

Favorite Features: All wheel drive, 30 mpg, sport mode.

Suggested Improvements: Improve rear legroom

that's one review and it's a consumer review...no editorial review listed yet.

He seemed to love the car other than the rear seat room. He didn't seem like he knew how to use the point system.

There is a reasons why Volkswagen sales are in the toliet. And one of those reasons is declining product quality and reliablility.

I've driven the new Jetta and it doesn't hold a candle to the WRX. I can Imagine the passat will be much the same to the legacy.

*edit

That guy is missing some horsies if it's a 2006. He should have 173 this year right?

You guys who have bought 2006 leggys need to get on edmunds and offset the guy who didn't know how to use the point system

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

However, Subaru has a Legacy Spec B. (limited to 500 produced here), that has the Bilstein Suspension, aluminum/aluminium suspension bits, nav. 5 speed MT with tire pressure monitoring system, etc.

is this a hard fact? I read that they won't be offering a model with manual tranny and navigation....not trying to doubt you or anything

Might want to wait for the '06s to come out...as most will be offered with Navi.

and again, I read and heard from the dealer that navi models will only be automatics...

can anyone else confirm?

If you can read this, you're following too close.

Click Me

is this a hard fact? I read that they won't be offering a model with manual tranny and navigation....not trying to doubt you or anything

and again, I read and heard from the dealer that navi models will only be automatics...

can anyone else confirm?

The spec B will be the ONLY Model with Nav and a manual...it's a done deal. It will be kind of spendy. $33k - $35k

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks B4....only 500 made? wonder if theres a list and they're all already sold or whatever....seems like SOA should know to offer more than 500 of them here in the states

I imagine not many people know about them. They are numbered, 5mt, 18" wheels, radio buttons on the steering wheel, Nav, Mp3 compatibility, Bilstein suspension, TPS, and probably some other things i'm forgetting.

They are supposed to be out soon IIRC. October I believe. I'd ask your dealer if he's getting one.

At 500 that Means not every Dealership will be getting one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Odds are the one you test drove had underinflated tires. Especially with the stock RE92's, the car doesn't perform well at all when they're underinflated.

Heck, when I went to one dealer I was about to test drive one LGT but then I pointed to the salesperson that it had a flat!! Needless to say I test drove a different one.

Most of the forum regulars here will tell you that the car will perform significantly better with correctly inflated tires, or even better, different tires altogether.

And as for VW... well personally I would never buy another German car again unless I struck it rich. Way too much maintenance headaches (leased an Audi TT for four years).

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

The Passat is a great car. The V6 is the only way to go as the turbo is going to require a LOT more money to maintain. My 1.8t cost me $6,000 from 85,000 to 100,000 miles, but was trouble-free until 65,000 miles.

The Passat is noticably larger inside and handles almost as well as a BMW. There are a bunch of silly little annoying things about the Legacy (no DIN radio replacement, silly passenger airbag light, and that frequently silly climate control) that you won't have to deal with in the Passat. It's very well thought out.

As far as VW people not being "car people;" HA HA HA HA HA!!! There are rallies all over the country for VW enthusiasts. There are a ton of old VWs on the road and people are working on them all over the place. Look around for VW parts and accessories and compare that to Subaru. There are 4x more VW stuff available. I bought my Subie for reliability and economy. I bought the VW because I WANTED it.

Yes, VW has QC issues. I wouldn't buy any Mexican made VWs. They're a mess. The Passat is German made, and because of that, with the falling dollar, you're going to pay a premium just because of the currency exchage. Remember that when you're buying parts in 3-4 years and you'll understand why that special VW hose costs $300.

Stay away from the VW unless you want to go broke with repair bills. The cars are so rediculously complicated that there are far more opportunities for breaking. I had a 2001.5 Passat Wagon 1.8T that was beautiful but was a maintenance headache from the start. That's why I'm in a Scoobie now.

But as for VW drivers not being "car people", you need to check out the VWVortex forum. I think it's a toss up of who has the biggest car geeks.

Hello everyone,

I was considering purchasing either 2006 Legacy Gt. Limited or a 06 AWD Passat. After seeing the user reviews on Edmunds.com however the passat seems to be the obvious choice with a 9.7 and the Legacy with a mere 7.8.......ll in all the Legacy seems to be a great car and a blast to drive. I only had some minor concerns and wanted to ask you guys why you thought the review to be so low on edmunds.

Thanks for your time

Welcome to LGT. And now to the point. Both the Passat and Jetta are girls cars. The Legacy is a mans car. So if you are a female great, get a passat. If you are a man that wants to be a woman, get a passat.

Just my not so humble opinion :D

I've heard the seat complaints before but maybe only bigger guys have a problem.. I'm 5'10, 165.. I have no problems at all...

In the end, you really have to check it out yourself and test drive it.. ALL CARS, no matter what the model or nameplate is, have some shortcomings in some area... but in the end, when you get in a quality car that you feel good about buying, most things you thought were going to bother you just melt away and a week later, you can't remember what they were,lol..

Just know that there is a reason why the Legacy GT has its own forums filled with tons of loyal and happy owners, if you can find a Passat forums with the same type of satisfaction on display, go for it, but I doubt you will,lol...

Oh, BTW, If you see my first thread, I just picked up my '06 GT and NO NAV WAS OFFERED...Just the empty, lonely space at the top of the center stack... :mad:

I owned a 1998 Passat with a 1.8t and it was perfectly reliable for the 70,000 miles I put on it. Great car. It wasn't particularly quick or great handling (very mushy actually), but it was dependable and comfortable.

When I was shopping for my wagon, I flirted briefly with a Passat wagon (05), but ultimately there was absolutely no comparison in terms of performance and I really didn't want to buy a car that was essentially the same thing I had bought in 1998.

I recently looked at a 2006 Passat at the VW dealer and was left underwhelmed. The interior quality was pitiful. The slide out drawer thingies in the dash had lots of play and are guaranteed rattle points. The sunglass holder was already broken because it used cheap plastic gear dampers (like a Chrysler) and the fit and finish were very sub par for a $30,000 car. The LGT interior is much nicer (simpler, but nicer).

And I don't think you can even compare a 2.0t Passat to an LGT in terms of performance. But, everyone has diffferent priorities.

The Passat is noticably larger inside and handles almost as well as a BMW.

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though - if you took away the body roll, ponderous feedback through the steering wheel, and gave it RWD then yeah...it would be almost as good a BMW.

Archived