LegacyGT.com

something broke

Phillip J. Fry

as title says.

was running great with stage 2 ots. i switched back over to PIA tune. was running great.

went to do a test run from 25-60 and it struggle then at 4500rpm or so it had regular boost. tried it again and it didnt do anything. struggled to pull and felt it off and on. dash lights come on.

it actually let me try a pull. from 4500rpm ran fine. below that was slow. tried a 4th and it choked out. heard a knocking from inside.

was 1 mile from home and it drove home. idles at 750. picks up speed to 35 but shakes.

code actually cleared itself then came back on. says misfire cyl 1. i have full oil and full coolant. now im with a smell and a knock that somehow disappeared. injector tic sounds louder though.

made it through 85000 very hard driven miles. will get it towed from the garage tomorrow.

if its rebuild will do only stock stuff. i dont think the subaru was really made for modding.

split intercooler tabs. cracked radiator. i replaced the inlet for preventative. torn throttle body hose. leaky bpv. the car is garaged for its entire life. maybe spent 7 days total since ive had it for 8+ years outside.

anyways. its been fun. never got stuck. will see what it is.

You sure it's not just a vacuum leak? Try a non-split TMIC and repair/replace the rad, then see where you stand.

How loud is the knocking? Is it RPM consistent?

not consistant at all. it actually went away as i was recording it. sounds like something is loose more than broken.

ooh...i replaced everything as it goes. i even do preventative parts. avo tmic at first sign of splitting. got the rad replaced the day or so after i saw it leaking. got the hose replaced when i saw boost leak on the gauge. ive been on top of it since ive owned it. i am the original and only owner.

air filter every 5k. oil every 5k or less due to my short drives i have fuel dilution. redline/amsoil fuel cleaner every 5 k. basically have always ran amsoil 5-30 signature for about 80k of the 85k it has.

about 83000 miles of gas was from chevron mukilteo. always 92. this tank i have barryman b12 in it.

have one step colder plugs after a tune for preventative although the ones in there were fine.

there is nothing mechanically wrong until today. nothing electrical either.

actually. i had what i thought was bad gas but the b12 cured it. if thats what broke it. so be it.

got it uploaded https://youtu.be/JnWF9PgeP78

update...

will be getting it towed to carter.

i was doing a visual and started pulling the airbox out and i saw what i think is the coil pack out and laying against the side of the car and can see the grey tube going into somewhere perhaps where it is supposed to be.

my intermittent tap/knock is most likely the coil pack tapping the side of the car or engine.

i do not do vehicle mechanics and know nothing about this. this would explain why car was running great then suddenly not. and why im not working on it. haha.

hope this is it.

now to get ready for tow.

How about you plug the coil pack back in and see how it runs? It could be that it just blew the coilpack out.

Why Carter and not AWDAuto or an actual shop?

it was a pain pulling that airbox out when you have 1 12mm socket and its a deep one. had to use a crescent wrench to tighten the coil pack down.

lets say carter for i know they have every REAL oem part. i was fearing the engine was broken. and carter will give loaners that dont have 160k miles. at awd auto ive argued with the front counter guy about parts before. he said the oem uppipe does not have a flex joint unless we misunderstood each other. they were SUPER helpful chasing down my cobb uppipe leaks. went through 2 pipes and simply cut the shield off the stocker and been fine ever since.

when the first shop installed the uppipe it squeeled and they said turbo bearings. i was like...um. it wasnt like that yesterday.

long story short no one is perfect. id rather let a subaru dealer handle a catastrophe.

the coil pack was completely out of place and was tapping the side making it sound like knock. there are rub marks on the gray casing of coil pack now.

ive idled it and warmed it up a little. normal idle. revs very smooth to 3k.

yes. my crescent wrench usage is not perfect but i have plans for an oil change and will let them tighten it down properly for i do NOT have a short 12mm socket. i figured tight is 1000 percent better than loose or off.

codes are still there but i can clear them when i drive out later.

will let you know if anything else is up. will put a load on it later today.

thanks man.

now this makes me think i dont have bad gas from chevron. possibly was just a bad spark.

And, FWIW, the OEM catless pipes also have flex sections, it's just underneath that bulge that looks like a cat. ;)

i have an 07.

i tried the cobb uppipe because after the downpipe install the stock uppipe heatshield was tinging on the downpipe. was noisy.

if i had to do it over id buy a good quality flex uppipe.

now i consider a wrap but so far its been ok.

it runs smoother than ever. 0 hesitation off throttle. pulls very smoothly. im unsure how long the coil pack has been loose or coming out.

seems mileage is immediately back up too.

1 bad thing. got the oil change and they said some bronze was in the oil. i had it changed at pia for tune. they daid nothing iirc. went to my normal place and changed it again soon after to amsoil. they said nothing then. maybe 2-3k miles later said normal shop that changed it last said some bronze is in there.

ive heard no clanking at startup or anything. my theory is that the 1 cylinder has baan half way working or at least juuuust enough not to throw codes and the others picked up the slack. im thinking due to that a bearing? may have received a load its not supposed to have.

i suspect now number 1 is working well now damage should stop. probably depends on the tolerance at this point. but i have no noises. they said i have no knock etc. i hear nothing but a smooth startup.

otoh my warm up is going faster than before.

hate this. i had the plugs exchanged for 1 step colder and after that the coil pack falls out. doing preventative causes another issue??

currently its driving smoother than ever. sounds quieter too. filled up with business costco gas today as i suspect chevron may be poor quality these days. hope it goes ok. im tuned with chevron.

in short. car is running great thus far. feels much better. smooth.

send a sample into black stone if you're that worried.

You'll know if you have brass.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/d4896fb7f9a7e24792e8d55af7704663.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

send a sample into black stone if you're that worried.

You'll know if you have brass.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/d4896fb7f9a7e24792e8d55af7704663.jpg

i dont know what i am looking at exactly.

the shop mentioned noise but i do not have strange startup noises and they said i do not have knock.

im not too worried at this point. im assuming if it looks like what you are showing i will probably hear it?

car is running fine and smooth.

fwiw this has scared me and i will not be chasing a new turbo at this time. sure i can do it. but if the engine goes soon thats another 5k. im not interested in spending 8k for 35 more hp. just not wort it.

This is an oil pan that has experienced a low condition due to customer negligence and the resulting spun bearing.

Gold is brass, bearing material, as well as other metals present at 80x the normal level.

It's hard to read through your situation but I would not be throwing money at parts just because you think they are broken.

If the car drives, and seems to run normal, keep driving it. If an issue arises leave it to the professionals at your shop or dealership of choice. To much Mis information is spread on the InterwebZ with the result being a scared to death member that there car needs a new SB. As seems to be the answer to all of misstrisses diagnostics.

If you have metal in your pan the engine will not last long there after.

Seems like your issue worked itself out so just enjoy the car

oh. yeah. i hear what you are saying.

in short...i was doing some pulls and had a failure. engine code said misfire in cyl 1. i heard some tapping immediately. the next day i did a visual and found coil pack 1 hanging out.

put it back and tightened the bolt and its been smooth ever since. it must have been falling out for some time as it hasnt felt this smooth in a while and mileage is back up. boost is more consistant and i dont smell turbo stink when i am randomly in boost anymore.

judging by the silent engine and smooth driving im thinking its all ok for now.

only money thrown was for an oil change. yes, they scared me as im naturally obsessive.

Did I read correct in that a shop did your tune up? or it was your accident? Either way, glad you got it sorted.

My recommendation for Blackstone still stands. It's a nice synopsis on the partial health of your motor. $25 for the analysis, ~2.34 in postage.

Did I read correct in that a shop did your tune up? or it was your accident? Either way, glad you got it sorted.

My recommendation for Blackstone still stands. It's a nice synopsis on the partial health of your motor. $25 for the analysis, ~2.34 in postage.

yes. a shop changed my plugs over to 1 step colder before winter and i dont put many miles on the car.

the ony wrenching ive done to the legacy is that the subaru factory left a tmic bolt half installed, hid install kit many years ago, a shop (not sure whom really) left the bolt loose on my engine shroud and now this coil pack at cyl 1.

i dont think air filter counts. hehe.

ive put together tons of stuff for work in the past and it does irritate me that small things like this happen but ive seen similar errors many times from basic human error.

people get side tracked or their head isnt quite there that day etc etc. it happens. yes, ive worked in a production environment before, and repair and R&D. ive seen it all.

it does irk me though. this is a small puzzle. this meaning a car. i mean, when the only thing to do is to change the plugs i would not expect an error. as ststaed, its human error. i will be talking to the shop in the next day or do to make sure the plug is ok. im certain the car wasnt burning fuel correctly judging by the erratic boost and turbo stink and loss of power. im sure over time the plug isnt at its best. remember...you may ask how did i not notice. my work is 1/2 mile from home. i driver very very short distances and im in the car for a short time. had very few symptoms to look at.

i did have a rad replaced between these times but no way would i think that they would loosen a pack nor have a reason to touch it.

i will consider it at next oil change. right now ignorance is bliss. hehe. i dont want to obsess over a possible bearing issue. i will relax until next change or strange noises start happening. thanks for the advice though.

quick update.

checked boost today and im hitting 17-17.5. seems pretty consistent. tuned for 17. hitting 17 in first and second. hehe. before the pack fell out i was getting sporatic boost from 15.5-17 and even with just 1 pull the turbo got hot. could smell it inside the cabin. now even after beating on it i smell nothing.

the other day i pulled the cover off and ziptied the bpv hose a bit better than it was. i was able to pull it off even with a zip tie on it. im not sure if a hair of boost was escaping or not but took the safe way and rezipped it with a wider tie. little better now.

a simple coil pack started all of this.

quick update.

checked boost today and im hitting 17-17.5. seems pretty consistent. tuned for 17. hitting 17 in first and second. hehe. before the pack fell out i was getting sporatic boost from 15.5-17 and even with just 1 pull the turbo got hot. could smell it inside the cabin. now even after beating on it i smell nothing.

the other day i pulled the cover off and ziptied the bpv hose a bit better than it was. i was able to pull it off even with a zip tie on it. im not sure if a hair of boost was escaping or not but took the safe way and rezipped it with a wider tie. little better now.

a simple coil pack started all of this.

This is why we always suggest moving a coilpack (easiest) or an injector (easier) to diagnose a misfire in any cylinder before we hand out #ynansb (hardest).

This is why we always suggest moving a coilpack (easiest) or an injector (easier) to diagnose a misfire in any cylinder before we hand out #ynansb (hardest).

had random misfires here and there. never permanent. codes never stayed. even had it tuned and they said nothing. afaik not a glitch on the dyno. car has 252awhp at 6020 rpm. car automatically shifts at 6200 in 3rd. i basically have peak hp at redline. it was not dropping off.

with the random misfire i took it in to my normal shop and they found nothing.

even when the coil pack was coming out on apr 1 the misfire code disappeared. the code didnt stay until the pack was 100% out. ha.

been 100% good since ive reinstalled it. afaik no misfires and no codes.

sometimes it seems like shops break one thing when you go in for something else. think oive had them all make mistakes. even with past cars.

had a recall done once and i found a screwdriver in my engine bay. stereo shop left a file in my car.

in short...there are waaaaay too many human errors being done. i really hate it.

• 2 months later...

another update...

after the pack came loose after i tightened it there was a weird vibration at 2800 rpm. sometimes 3200.

threw in some octane booster recently and the car had misfires.

there was also a slight groaning noise coming from the coil pack 1 area as if it was coming loose. car didnt feel as strong as it should be.

i thought many things...one day the car idled with some steam i didnt think should have been there. possible fuel? air filter smelled like gas during the times the coil pack was loose. gas mileage was reduced as well. the turbo getting hot trying to make boost when the pack was loose to me means fuel wasnt burning effeciently.

took all this into account and thought...hey, maybe the plug is fuel fouled.

went to PIA on friday and got them all changed. on the way there the mileage was better. hot 27mpg without even trying. i think the octane booster may have been cleaning something.

oh...it was the lucas bottle which claims 30 points, aka 3 octane ratings higher. i fill up with chevron 92. same station i dyno tuned on.

back to point...car is driving better than ever. feels lighter on its feet. the strange 2800/3200 vibration is gone. seems quieter. mileage is back up. when i push it from 20-25mph the car stays in second and just pulls to redline. it used to drop to first. its driving very well now. pulling to redline with ease and not dropping off.

pia did say they looked ok though but all the things i am finding says it wasnt THAT ok.

wanted to pass along my findings in hopes it will help someone else in the future.

hasnt felt this alive in a while.

stop at pacific raceways and fill up the tank for 100/110 octane then run it hard. Should clear up any issues with bad fuel

im curious just how adaptive the ecu can be. i suspect it continues to adapt even after a tune but since im not a tuner there is no proof. just speculation. should the car produce a hair more power? i live in mukilteo. dont want to use 1/2 tank of gas to buy a full tank of 100. maybe paine field has pump somewhere so i can get some.

what say you about ecu adapting?

can try another station. maybe costco or somewhere else. at 3/4 tank now so it may be a week or so.

got some basic parameters datalogged last couple of days. trying to upload now.

Archived