LegacyGT.com

Let's play a game of "Where's that oil leak?!"

I went out the other day and splurged on some Motul X-Cess 5w40. Hell, I even got a Tokyo Roki oil filter for my wagon, because I just care that darn much. :roll eyes:

Well, upon scooting myself beneath the red streak, I noticed WAY too much oil just making itself at home on my undercarriage. The oil pan is caked in dry deposits, the filter was dripping ,and the steering rack, subframe crossmember, and rear passenger side of my oil pan are wet/very slowly dripping with oil. My consumption is very low at the moment, and I get maybe two small drips overnight. I am, however, concerned. The motor has many a mile upon it, so I'm thinking it's very possible to need cam seals and an oil cooler gasket up front. But the rear, thats the one I can't find. The head gaskets from what I can see underneath the motor are fine. So is the valve cover gasket. Turbo oil return line was replaced not three months ago. I can smell oil when I stint near the passenger side of the wagon, but never in the cabin, even with the air on vent mode.

I'm still pretty new to these motors, so who here knows of common leaking areas in the rear/passenger side-ish area of the motor? Would this be evident of a rear main seal or oil separator plate leak? I'm frustrated. :spin:

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

If you say there's no leak at the valve cover gaskets and there's oil at your filter, it could be the oil cooler o-ring that seals between block and cooler. I've noticed that a leak at the power steering pump will make its way down the front of the engine and to the oil filter as well. If the oil isn't red then I'd say its the cooler o-ring.(orange o-ring)

If you say there's no leak at the valve cover gaskets and there's oil at your filter, it could be the oil cooler o-ring that seals between block and cooler. I've noticed that a leak at the power steering pump will make its way down the front of the engine and to the oil filter as well. If the oil isn't red then I'd say its the cooler o-ring.(orange o-ring)

I've got one laying around, just trying to wait until it warms up before I go and service it... My real concern though is that leak at the rear of the motor. That wasn't there a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

I went out the other day and splurged on some Motul X-Cess 5w40. Hell, I even got a Tokyo Roki oil filter for my wagon, because I just care that darn much. :roll eyes:

Well, upon scooting myself beneath the red streak, I noticed WAY too much oil just making itself at home on my undercarriage. The oil pan is caked in dry deposits, the filter was dripping ,and the steering rack, subframe crossmember, and rear passenger side of my oil pan are wet/very slowly dripping with oil. My consumption is very low at the moment, and I get maybe two small drips overnight. I am, however, concerned. The motor has many a mile upon it, so I'm thinking it's very possible to need cam seals and an oil cooler gasket up front. But the rear, thats the one I can't find. The head gaskets from what I can see underneath the motor are fine. So is the valve cover gasket. Turbo oil return line was replaced not three months ago. I can smell oil when I stint near the passenger side of the wagon, but never in the cabin, even with the air on vent mode.

I'm still pretty new to these motors, so who here knows of common leaking areas in the rear/passenger side-ish area of the motor? Would this be evident of a rear main seal or oil separator plate leak? I'm frustrated. :spin:

Replaced with new or used in better shape than what you originally had?

Oh, no. Everything I do is either OEM or better. I replaced the rubber line with a brand new OEM one, with clamps for extra security. At that point, I actually replaced all of the turbo lines/hoses etc. just due to mileage

Do you have a set of jack stands and a good flash light....get the hint?

The passenger side valve cover is a known issue with these cars. Also lately the oil cooler o-ring.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do you have a set of jack stands and a good flash light....get the hint?

The passenger side valve cover is a known issue with these cars. Also lately the oil cooler o-ring.

Oh, I do, but In my post I've already discussed all that. :)

Valve covers are dry, oil cooler is leaking, I know that for sure but thats not the source of this leak. I've been under there with a good light, when I changed my oil, that's how I found the leak! I just cannot see the area above the crossmember/subframe. That's why I'm asking for what's common to leak back there.

I'm never one to not look at what's going on and make a post. I spent two hours trying to track down the leak with the wagon up on ramps and the undercover off before I consider myself stumped. I wouldn't be asking here if it was something simple. ;)

FWIW, My power steering rack was leaking. At the seal where the steering column enters the rack.

The back of the passenger side VC is the normal leak.

Have you lowered the bottom engine cover yet ?

Put a piece of clean cardboard under the car when you get home, in the morning you should be able to see the general area where the drip is coming from.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think I may have found it. There's a large rubber hose near the center of the case halves, on the top of the engine, and I can see a large oil stain starting there, running along the passenger head, and down the bottom. A bad breather tube perhaps?

I think I may have found it. There's a large rubber hose near the center of the case halves, on the top of the engine, and I can see a large oil stain starting there, running along the passenger head, and down the bottom. A bad breather tube perhaps?

Sounds like PCV, then. When was the last time that was replaced? It's a $30 part, so, it's not terribly expensive, but, the labor sucks, mostly because of its location and those goddamn special clamps for it.

If that doesn't fix your issue, I would be concerned about overfilling the oil, which can account for the increased crankcase pressure, which is where the oil is coming from, on the top of the block, out of the breather near the bellhousing/trans access hole. If crankcase pressure is a consistent issue, you may have some blow-by. Run your motor with the oil cap off. If you see little puffs of smoke coming out, you've got a ringland issue and #ynansb.

Well, I have every reason to believe that PCV has 194,000 miles on it. The breather to it is most likely hardened, and filled with gunk, so I can see that needing replacement I saw where it was today on the block, and I'm really dreading replacing it....

I did overfill it once, at my first oil change I did to it about three months ago, for about 200 miles. I blame the spawn of the devil dipstick for that one. Never have I had to develop a technique to read a dipstick properly!

I actually ran it a few days ago with the filler off, pressure came out, but no smoke. Same thing my motorcycle does when the filler cap is off. So I think I'm steering clear of #ynansb...

...for now.

Archived