LegacyGT.com

What to do...

I'm trying to decide what to do. I have two cars, I love to autocross and one of them is essentially a purpose built track slut. This may not sound like much of a problem to most people, and I realize that it's very nice to be in this situation, but still I have a problem.

My nearly dedicated track slut is a '97 Saturn SC2. While it remains street legal it is in no way street practical. With out going into to many details, it's modified to the limit of the SCCA's '04 STS class regulations plus I've put it on a "supermodel" diet since it was kicked out of STS class for '05 (due to installing rear disk brakes). My problem is that I have "The Bug" and there's nothing left to do to the car with out getting into SERIOUS money or re-doing stuff that I've already done, which would also be very expensive. I'm really questioning the logic behind continuing to build this car. It's FWD and there is NO aftermarket for it. I love the looks, the color and the ergonomics of the car. I also really like having something different from anyone else and this was the first car that I purchased entirely on my own so I have an emotional attachment to the car.

I'd rather keep the LGT pretty much stock, modifying it only up to the limits of SCCA's D-Stock class. I'd also like to keep it as a daily driver only; seeing as how my LGT is 9 months old and already has over 26K miles. I also really like having a 2 car fleet.

What could I do with my SC2, and what should I replace it with? I really like the Miata, but they're pretty darn common.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

does it have to be late model?? A prepped '91 CRX Si makes a very fun car to drive (four wheel disc brakes).

Mine was a street car, but I had plans to make it a track car before I sold it to buy my LGT:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/862a.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/737b.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/75ca.jpg

If going for a late model, it would be hard to beat a used standard Mini Cooper. '03Indigo' has one he uses for track days.

does it have to be late model?? A prepped '91 CRX Si makes a very fun car to drive (four wheel disc brakes).

If going for a late model, it would be hard to beat a used standard Mini Cooper. '03Indigo' has one he uses for track days.

The '91 Civic Si and CRX Si are the current "spec" cars in STS class. Check out the standings from Topeka last year all but one of the top ten cars were one of these. While I appreciate them I'm kinda shying away from FWD if I replace the X-wing (my SC2). I'm also not going to pay more than $5K (USD) on a "new" car; that way I'd be able to just write a check for it, not have to finance it and start dumping large sums of money into it.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

What could I do with my SC2, and what should I replace it with? I really like the Miata, but they're pretty darn common.

Buy a previous generation Impreza 2.5rs and mod it up. AWD, handles great, reasonably light, not too expensive.

They're out there with high miles...

After owning my LGT I really like the idea of an older 2.5RS; I've just nerver seen them for under $5K and been in any kind of decent condition, but I havn't seen everything yet.

EL4NFZT7

After owning my LGT I really like the idea of an older 2.5RS; I've just nerver seen them for under $5K and been in any kind of decent condition, but I havn't seen everything yet.

Yeah, I was in the same boat looking for a second car. The Subarus just hold their value too well!

Yeah, I was in the same boat looking for a second car. The Subarus just hold their value too well!

No crap about the retained value thing. So what did you end up deciding on, or decide to do?

EL4NFZT7

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?advanced=&bkms=1127148506240&certified=&isp=y&search=y&lang=en&search_type=both&make=SUB&model=IMPREZ&start_year=1996&end_year=2001&min_price=&max_price=&distance=200&address=44060&x=64&y=11

I realize most of these are not quite what you're looking for, but they're out there - you just have to search for them.

Also check out 1993+ v-8 Mustangs and Camaro/Firebirds. They make reasonably good track cars as well.

How about an old school MR2? I sold one a while back that my brother owned. It was a 86 with 42K original miles and sold it for $2500. Are those allowed? they are nice cars with rear mounted engines and the nice 4AGE or the 4AGEZ if you can find a supercharged one.

X

---

Archived