LegacyGT.com

Help, BNR 16G and oiling questions

So little backstory, I bought an 05 LGT a couple months ago, blown engine. I installed a new longblock car is up and running fine only put about 40 miles on the new (used longblock 78K on it) engine and was waiting for the CEL to come up.....got the CEL for PO011 and PO021 which are the OCV's from what I've read on here. I'm not driving the car at all till I get these couple of issues sorted out. Now my first question is are these an actual sensor, I would assume so since they threw a CEL?

Second, I'm not happy with the VF40 and I know these turbo's are an issue. Just in general I'm not into the IHI's. I'm looking to purchase the BNR 16G turbo and install it. I'm not planning on running higher then the stock boost settings at all I just want to get this engine to last and be reliable. I know oiling is an issue on these newer EJ25's. So I'm wondering if you guys think just removing the oil filter screen junk in the banjo bolt and using the stock hardline would be sufficient to run the BNR 16G? If not what about a just a stainless steel braided line for it? I have one on my 91SS and I'm pretty happy with it. Just trying to get some feedback. I saw the IPT oil kit but I feel like it's a bit overkill for this setup.

Lastly I know these oil pickups can fail and I'm planning on installing a Killer B oil pick up on it, and possibly an oilpan. I already removed the stock catted uppipe and replaced it with an STI one I had laying around. I have not removed the oil screen in the turbo oil feed banjo bolt or the other one on the passenger side......yet.

And just because someone's going to hit me with it anyway.....#YNANSB

Thanks in advance.

-Jay

At the bare minimum, with the 16G, I would think you'd need a new higher flowing banjo bolt @ the turbo. You could maybe drill out the restriction on the factory bolt. When you order your EVO16G ask Bryan what he thinks. At least you don't have to pull your intake manifold to get to that little filter. Last I knew, the IP&T line is required for the warranty. Also, some credit cards double warranties; worth looking into.

So little backstory, I bought an 05 LGT a couple months ago, blown engine. I installed a new longblock car is up and running fine only put about 40 miles on the new (used longblock 78K on it) engine and was waiting for the CEL to come up.....got the CEL for PO011 and PO021 which are the OCV's from what I've read on here. I'm not driving the car at all till I get these couple of issues sorted out. Now my first question is are these an actual sensor, I would assume so since they threw a CEL?

Second, I'm not happy with the VF40 and I know these turbo's are an issue. Just in general I'm not into the IHI's. I'm looking to purchase the BNR 16G turbo and install it. I'm not planning on running higher then the stock boost settings at all I just want to get this engine to last and be reliable. I know oiling is an issue on these newer EJ25's. So I'm wondering if you guys think just removing the oil filter screen junk in the banjo bolt and using the stock hardline would be sufficient to run the BNR 16G? If not what about a just a stainless steel braided line for it? I have one on my 91SS and I'm pretty happy with it. Just trying to get some feedback. I saw the IPT oil kit but I feel like it's a bit overkill for this setup.

Lastly I know these oil pickups can fail and I'm planning on installing a Killer B oil pick up on it, and possibly an oilpan. I already removed the stock catted uppipe and replaced it with an STI one I had laying around. I have not removed the oil screen in the turbo oil feed banjo bolt or the other one on the passenger side......yet.

And just because someone's going to hit me with it anyway.....#YNANSB

Thanks in advance.

-Jay

So, if I might ask, since you're familiar with my hashtag, why wasn't JmP Turbos top-of-mind?

Are you aware of the benefits of his rebuilt VF40s? All are rebuilt with upgraded journal bearings and packed with teflon-impregnated grease to prevent dry starts; gone are the worries of the journal bearing failing on you.

And then, there's the Custom VF40, which is what I run, and, it's pretty awesome. Upgraded journal bearings, improved thrust plates, plus an 11-blade billet wheel capable of pushing 22psi, mounted to an inconel shaft and dual-plane balanced (superior to VSR!) before being carefully assembled by a JmP himself, a skilled craftsman of custom turbochargers. ;)

I don't know about you, but my spool is quick. I'm on power well before 3k and pulls hard to about 5500; I just upgraded my TMIC to a Perrin unit, and my 0-60 times have definitely improved. My acceleration is tits and my top-end is still decent. All around, it's a great turbo for daily driving.

Send a PM to JmP6889928 and ask about the Custom40, I think you'll be happiest with it, over a BNR.

I don't like all of this filtering stuff right before the turbo i feel like its a waste and more of a possible chance of destroying stuff then saving it.

So right now my list is:

-Replace both OCV's

-Install Killer B oil pickup

-Buy BNR 16G turbo

-Flat irons tuning SS braided oil feed

-Remove filter from both banjo bolts

Anything else i should tackle or be worried about while doing these?

The TD05 is much tougher all-round vs. the sorry little VF-40. Bryan is very generous with warranty claims but will not cover two common screw-ups. One is using Mobil1 and the other is using the skinny stock oil line.

If you want to step up to better hardware you have to support it.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I don't like all of this filtering stuff right before the turbo i feel like its a waste and more of a possible chance of destroying stuff then saving it.

So right now my list is:

-Replace both OCV's

-Install Killer B oil pickup

-Buy BNR 16G turbo

-Flat irons tuning SS braided oil feed

-Remove filter from both banjo bolts

Anything else i should tackle or be worried about while doing these?

If I was you and wasn't planning on turning up the boost I'd stick with one of JmP'S vf40s because if u decide down the road to tune it, you'll have a reliable turbo and if u want to stay stock (like I assume you are going for) you wouldn't need a tune after a turbo install.

FYI I was speaking with a tuner the other day and was informed that bnrs 16g will max out your stock injectors at 5k rpm. Seems to me if u want reliability it'd be better to stick to a custom or rebuilt vf40...the one designed for the car

FYI I was speaking with a tuner the other day and was informed that bnrs 16g will max out your stock injectors at 5k rpm.

Only if you have a dying fuel pump and/or you're shooting for a AFR in the 9s. Otherwise, this is incorrect.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I've tuned over a dozen FXTs and WRXs on 16G turbos and stock injectors since 2008. My own car ran on that setup for 60,000km. I think my expertise in this surpasses your 2nd-hand info by rather a large margin.

Lol I was just messing with u . Although I was hoping you'd go into further detail as to why. The way it was explained to me, the newer actuators for the bnrs (older ones had problems with sticking apparently) are set pretty close to 1 bar and on a 16g u will see your idcs max around 5k and even earlier on a larger turbo like an 18g. (The one I ended up purchasing because I wanted some top end).... the conversation started when I asked abut a breal in tune for my fresh block and 18g , the tuner replied that he didn't feel comfortable tuning it until I had my 740cc dws installed.

Archived