LegacyGT.com

Rear caliper slide pins

stajerker

Hey all,

In the middle of replacing my rear rotors/pads, and just got off the calipers and took off the slide pins - however, i didnt realize they were different (one has the little rubber bushing on it) and so I dont know which pin goes on which side.

From searching, it looks like the pin with the rubber bushing on it goes in the lower part of the caliper - is this correct?

pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/07tzr2echq26ttf/AACkRDU4TxlBjNNqNjpmFpyVa

ah that diagram does help thanks!

its the little nub listed as 'a5' on the bottom slide pin!

Thanks for the help

ps: hard to take pics with hands covered in brake cleaner/grease/pb blaster.

It's even harder to post on a car forum in the same condition :lol:

I learned to take pics after tearing down the drum brakes on my 1969 Camaro. Now it's just a step I do.

The one with the rubber slide pin goes on the bottom. I've took all the rubber off all my pins, since they became worn out and caused the pins to seize. Doesn't create any issues if you do.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Sorry, didn't even notice that little rub nub was on there. Glad it doesn't matter, because I don't remember that on mine when I did my rear brakes, and I'm sure I didn't pay attention to make sure it was there when re-assembled.

Yes, other members have talked about removing that collar around the bottom of the slide pin too.

Hint, make sure you get that rubber dust boot sealed on the bracket...if you don't water will get in there and rust will form.

New brackets come from the dealer for like $80 each...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
New bracket doesn't come with sliders/ boots or hardware last I checked. I've always been told by elders the rubber is there for harmonics and dampening. If maintenance and lubed no issues if it dries out its adheres to the bracket wall and makes removal a bitch

Not so much that it dries out, it becomes very mushy over time and the actual rubber becomes softer/stickier, causing it to seize inside. All mine became like that, and I would lube them everytime I changed the pads.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived