LegacyGT.com

shell gasoline - worth the extra $$ ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

might be a stupid question...

but its said not to run race gas (like the 110 i can get up the street) with a cat.

im planning on running 1 cat, thats a catted dp. so heres my question:

1. would it be ok to run such a fuel with a catted dp only exhaust?

2. if my tune is for 93, i wouldnt be able to run the 110 anyways, right?

sorry if this has already been answered, i couldve searched...but figured id ask while reading and all of us talking bout gas.

You can run an octane that's higher than what your engine is tuned for, but you will not gain anything(basically a waste of money).

110 is bad for your cat if its leaded. Then again so are oils that are high in ZDDP.

I used to run 93 V-Power but now just run any decent 93(mainly Exxon) and just use fuel system cleaner that I get on sale every time I change my oil. Only gas I would kind of go out of my way to use would be ethanol-free, but the only one thats convenient is 89 octane.

You can run an octane that's higher than what your engine is tuned for, but you will not gain anything(basically a waste of money).

110 is bad for your cat if its leaded. Then again so are oils that are high in ZDDP.

Leaded fuel is also bad for your valvetrain, not to mention your health and the environment. There is no need for leaded fuel.

The extra octane does nothing to help performance. but if you engine is running hotter than normal like when you are racing it. the extra octane gives u a little blanket of safety against knock/ predetination. So is it a waste when racing or driving hard no.

The extra octane does nothing to help performance. but if you engine is running hotter than normal like when you are racing it. the extra octane gives u a little blanket of safety against knock/ predetination. So is it a waste when racing or driving hard no.

You'll realize the need for octane when running a high compression ratio and aggressive spark timing for more power - as in a race car engine that is completely non-streetable.

FWIW i have had the best luck overall with chevron, but i have found one shell station that seems to run the best in my car. I have also had some shell that ran like crap. Mobile was so incredibly bad my car almost didn't run. I have also had some Fred Meyer gas for a few tanks that ran great. I seems to come down to the station/volume/freshness whatever.

I have been using Shell 93 since i got the car in October, and the car loves it, along with Rotella T6. Averaging 25mpg, mostly highway driving. Ill be getting tuned next month, along with timing belt/oil pickup upgrade, and will probably use Shell 93 exclusively. Car has around 97k miles at moment. I think its the best for my engine, so i will pay whatever the cost to keep good quality fuel running in there

It must be better because they say it is.

Really, in my 45 years of driving, I have bought all brands of gas, I really couldn't tell the difference.

IMO it more how you treat your car. I don't let mine warm up, I start it and drive it. I also drive lots on miles, no short trips. Just came back from a 5 hour trip (one way) up VT and across the top of NH to Sugarloaf Maine to ski for a week then back to VT. I could only get 91 in NH and ME. The wagon's dash 23.7 mpg before I got back to town in VT and filled it with 14 gallons of 93.

I normally run Gulf or Sunoco and sometimes Shell here in VT. Up in NH I think it was Irving that I put in ad couple times just to keep the tank topped off before heading into the back roads of ME.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You'll realize the need for octane when running a high compression ratio and aggressive spark timing for more power - as in a race car engine that is completely non-streetable.

You are missing the point. when u race your car. Putting in higher octane than your tuned for will help avoid predetination. That's what higher octanes do. No it will not give u more power. If your gas is a little old or not quite 93 this will help avoid blowing your motor. it's just another safety piece. Not to add power. Completely useless while driving around town.

You are missing the point. when u race your car. Putting in higher octane than your tuned for will help avoid predetination. That's what higher octanes do. No it will not give u more power. If your gas is a little old or not quite 93 this will help avoid blowing your motor. it's just another safety piece. Not to add power. Completely useless while driving around town.

You have just enough knowledge to be dangerous but not enough to understand why and consequently I hope no one here follows your advise.

You have just enough knowledge to be dangerous but not enough to understand why and consequently I hope no one here follows your advise.

Now, now, Mr whopping 30 posts. . He's only mistaken in that, yes, technically, higher octane gas gives you more power via advanced iginition timing. Is it as big of a deal on the street? That depends more on the driver, really.

Archived