LegacyGT.com

Breaks squeal after driving for awhile and goes away when I apply brake

06lgtspecb

I'm having some issues with my 06 lgt brakes. This has been a intermittent problem for about 3000 miles, but it seems to be more persistent in the last 500 miles. The first time the problem came on I was taking a road trip and about 150 mile in the brakes started to squeal and lasted the remainder of the trip, about 100 miles. Then on the way home they were fine the whole drive, and didn't act up again for about 2 months. Currently the problem is once I drive the car for about 8 to 10 minutes the brakes on the driver side ( I think front brake ) will begin to squeal for the remainder of the trip. Once I apply the brakes the squeal is gone until I let off the brakes again.

Here's a few things I've tried so far or have noticed.

-The squeal seems to come on sooner if I hit any water.

-I checked the front pads and rotors and they seem to have a lot of life left in them, but I replaced the front pads anyway. Old ones were worn evenly.

-When I replaced the front pads anyways and made sure to grease slide pins and all blots and anywhere the pads had contact.t

-I put the car up on ramps and spun the tires to listen to each one for a noise but they all sounds the same.

-Like I mentioned this only starts to happen after about 8 minutes of driving and once I apply the brakes the noise goes away until I let off the brakes.

I know I'm due for a brake fluid change and hope that gets rid of the issue at hand but I haven't had a helper to bleed them yet. The fluid was last changed 36k ago.

This is all I've done so far so I wanted to see what you guys would advise to try next. Or maybe someone has had this exact issue on here. Thanks in advance!

Why don't you swap the pads from side to side, see if that helps.

Did you use the red glue to hold the shims in place.

Try removing the shims.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I could try switching the pads and see what that does, but I did just replace the pads with new ones yesterday so this is the second set of pads that have had the issue.

For the shims I didn't glue them at all, they were already fastened to the pad from the factory so I just used copper anti seize where they touch the calipers.

You may have a caliper that is sticking a little bit. Sounds like the brake pad is contacting the rotor when your foot isn't on the brake. Sound goes away during braking because you are applying more pressure and the brake pad is in full contact doing it's job, but when you come off the brake pedal, the caliper isn't fully letting go. I had to have one replaced for this reason.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/brake_calipers.htm

You may have a caliper that is sticking a little bit. Sounds like the brake pad is contacting the rotor when your foot isn't on the brake. Sound goes away during braking because you are applying more pressure and the brake pad is in full contact doing it's job, but when you come off the brake pedal, the caliper isn't fully letting go. I had to have one replaced for this reason.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/brake_calipers.htm

That's where I'm leaning. Usually the sign is uneven pad wear but I don't have that. Although the caliper pistons were very rusty and I just don't see what's doing it otherwise. Plus like yourself this seems very common in the legacy.

Check the caliper pins and make sure they are greased and that the caliper can move as intended. If it's sticking, could be causing your issue.

I checked the pins and they were in great shape so I just re greased them. I also checked the pin boots for tears and they were fine.

Where's a good place to pick up a new caliper? or is it easy enough to just put new pistons in the old calipers? or even worth the time rebuilding vs. cost to just replace?

Thanks for the input guys!

So just to verify, you applied grease to the shaded areas shown in the attached picture? Just wanted to double check before you replace the caliper.

I would also double check that the clips are centered over the rotor, and not too far towards the engine or outside of the car.

The link below sort of illustrates what I mean in post #9, except his problem was with the middle of the clip, where I'm thinkin maybe the inner edges making contact with the rotor.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/25737-new-brake-pads-loud-squeal.html

clip.jpg.b0088c4b1b8df6aedeb7a9b29ca8bcd0.jpg

Apexi, I did miss one spot on your illustration, just the very top grease point on the pic so it would be the point that rests on the pads shims. I'll have to recheck the clip positions this weekend and see if that might be the issue.

• 5 months later...

Did this ever get answered? This started happening to my 08 2.5i a few miles ago. Mine start after I drive for a while then start using the brakes I notice the front passenger caliper start to squeal its almost like that caliper is dragging the shim into the rotor and causing the squeal. If i apply the brakes it goes away if i let off that front passenger will start to squeal then quiet down.

Any help would be great!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived