LegacyGT.com

Help/advice needed - Engine seized, need to replace

Yesterday while driving home on the highway, the check engine light abruptly came on and the car went into limp mode. I shifted into neutral to attempt to get off the road without running the engine in gear any longer, however about ten to 15 seconds later the engine cut off and wouldn't start again. Yada Yada Yada, cylinder 2 misfire fire code - the piston is broken and the engine is dead at 108,000 miles.

The timing belt was done at 97,000. Oil changes like clockwork. No oil leaks/burnoff between changes. It just ******* went. The turbo is intact and there were no symptoms prior to the incident, as the car was running normally.

What would be the best option at this point regarding replacing the engine and where to look for another one, and what specifically would I be looking for that would work in a 2008? Is it even worth it cost wise, as compared to parting out the car and just moving on? Sorry, I have no idea what do at this point. Would rebuilding be a better choice? Thanks for any tips.

• 1 month later...

Update - So, after finally getting the car to Andrewtech in Maryland, here is what actually happened: about a month prior, I had to avoid a deer and ended up running up on an embankment on the side of the road (2 lane, country highway in WV). The bumper cracked, but it looked like that was all that happened to me and when I got an estimate. I have a skid plate, so the bottom was protected nicely. I was planning on replacing the bumper with a body shop back in my hometown I used before when I was home around Easter weekend.

However, apparently a coolant hose cracked slightly, so slightly that no one noticed. Since it was low near the bottom of the radiator, it never dripped on anything hot to make steam. Also strangely, the thermostat failed to ever report any overheating. So, during a several hundred mile snowboarding trip, the hose crack leaked enough coolant (the level was OK prior to departure, since I always check oil and coolant levels before setting out on a big trip) that the engine overheated, and the block cracked.

http://img.pandawhale.com/89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif

So, with the exception of salvageable heads and turbo (they say it is fine shape), the entire block assembly is being replaced, and I'm adding a high flow downpipe to take this thing somewhere between stage 1 and 2 while everything is out and it's getting a dyno tune, anyway. Might as well.

With all the oiling andd ringland issues these cars have it's almost refreshing to have the engine die this way. Sorry for your loss though.

Yeah, the financial hit sucks. I'm trying to embrace the thin silver lining of essentially having a brand new engine that will be faster and better than the one before. I just wish it was a decision I made intentionally!

Yeah, the financial hit sucks. I'm trying to embrace the thin silver lining of essentially having a brand new engine that will be faster and better than the one before. I just wish it was a decision I made intentionally!

Very, very few people make that decision intentionally unless they're building a racecar.

Very, very few people make that decision intentionally unless they're building a racecar.

I meant the upgrading/tuning part, hahaha. Yes, obviously not the replace-the-engine part!

Any chance you can get your insurance to cover this? Not sure if they'd do so but it appears to be the result of an accident you had. Might want to speak with your agent and discuss it with them.

Mechanical damage, discovered after the fact, is rarely covered as a proximate cause.

I guess I'm the very very few. I replaced my short block while the engine was still running good, just using oil, but not at a great rate.

:)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mechanical damage, discovered after the fact, is rarely covered as a proximate cause.

Yeah, and I don't think adding a $5500 at-fault accident (if you try to avoid a deer, it's an at-fault accident...you're actually better off, insurance wise, just hitting the damn thing) to my insurance record would be worth the insane premium hike that would surely follow. It'd probably be a wash in the long run. My rates right now are low.

Not until he decides to tackle the project himself.

I unfortunately don't have the space, tools, etc. to build an engine. Late-20s apartment life in the DC area doesn't allow for such luxury. I can swing fluid changes and brake pad/rotor swaps in the parking lot, but not much more than that.

Archived