LegacyGT.com

which out of these cars are worth going to look.

dtgodmage

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with Boxkita, but I would still push you to looking at private sale ads and take it in for an inspection at a mechanic. Unless the dealer is giving you a fantastic deal, the private sale will be cheaper, and the person you buy it from might know more information on it (if you ask). Dealers buy at auctions (or take in trades), fix what they can see is wrong only, and sell it. The only exception to this rule would be if they offered a warranty with the car, be it a 3 month or 3 year, but that's something else you would have to look over for what's covered, and what's not. Buying any car older than 10 years old has it's risk regardless of where or who it's bought from.

i figured that 89 k one was right on the cusp of you are better off doing the head and timing belt now rather then later.

asfar as the 2nd car goes. i really do like the outback sedan with the h6 but i was curious as if the transmisson was the the achilie heels as its the same transmisson as the svk just newer no?

anywho this is the red gt i went and see and test drove that has a 2.2 swap in it they put it up on the lift for me showed me few things about the 2.2 swap what not.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4918321962.html was prettty hard not to say lets do this

then there is this h6 sedan that is literally 1 mile from me. its 6500 but they recently droped the price and it does have 144 and since its the h6 it should be better then the one above with 188 k no?

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4900308059.html

both those cars are great. i kinda would perfer to go with the legacy gt with the 2.2 but the outback sedan looks clean on its own and its bit more rare.

the place witht he red gt has a pretty god reputation here as some of the cars i see for sale are built and say that summit did all there engine work or engine swap so i'm curious if they would be the way to go as i only see them ever sell subaru

yeah that's why i really wonder if i should nab up the 2.2 swapped legacy. i just worry because most the add's i see say its got the 2.2 l swap with 6 month warranty when i was down there the red gt was all i looked at. kinda set on getting an auto altought i hear the trasmissons are bad. The white h6 is so close to me and i orignaly figured thats what i was going to get. but as far as i hear the transmission isn't like the svx i going to be torn between these too. i'm just going to continue to save and keep looking. but that red gt and that h6 are my top two choices if i was forced to buy right now.

yeah that's kind of what i gathered. i've found a few legacy gt's with 2.2's but all auto. I'm getting the hang of the 5 speed. But let's just say i did get any subaru with the auto trans is there a specfic one i should avoid or they all about the same in terms of relability because i know that svx trans mission is awful. would a 4.44 swap i heard about in svx's be doable in a say the h6 sedans? aside from full bown conversion whichi know id be better off selling and rebuying a manual in that event. what would be the transmisson options for say either 2.2 l auto or a 3.0 h6 auto

Stop saying swap. Just stop. You're nowhere near being able to do that. Swap is synonymous with unreliable.

Pretty much ALL of the 4EATs Subaru has made since 1990 are not stellar by any stretch of the imagination.

Get a 5sp if you can.

well i was just saying in the event of me owning the auto it going out what my options were in terms of interchangeability as i hear alot of wrx sti parts can fit almost on any subaru made vehicle so i was just curious if the auto transmissions had such options.

well i was just saying in the event of me owning the auto it going out what my options were in terms of interchangeability as i hear alot of wrx sti parts can fit almost on any subaru made vehicle so i was just curious if the auto transmissions had such options.

Depending on year and model, your options might be limited. Save yourself the headache and learn to drive stick.

What's with the svx? only crazy people with lots of money or a machine shop buy them. YOu have neither.

The engine size is not relevant as you have an auto.

If your cars are dying in a year, it's not because the car's specs are bad (engine size, transmission). Move on from that concept.

Your only criteria is whether you can get a 1 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and you can afford to own the car for a year. If it fails, are you going to buy another car or rebuild it? If rebuild, what will you drive in the meantime?

Until you jump up to say, the '05 GTs with the 5EAT, consider any other Subaru AT to be unreliable and will eventually break under any kind of spirited driving. Or, even just driving.

You are joking right...oh wait you really believe this the 4eat is a perfectly capable trans. Consider that the fxt was equipped with the 4eat all the way until 2012 or so when the cvt came out.

You are joking right...oh wait you really believe this the 4eat is a perfectly capable trans. Consider that the fxt was equipped with the 4eat all the way until 2012 or so when the cvt came out.

The FXT's 4EAT was nice -- I drove it. Thought it was pretty cool, actually. Aside from that one, though, I have not had good experiences (nor has anyone else, really) with Subaru's 4EAT. So, based on that, I wouldn't recommend it.

The 5EAT, properly cared for, is a perfectly hardy trans, even if a bit lacking in certain areas.

And please explain the differences between the fxt trans and all the other 4eat that were put in subarus? Because from my experience the 4eat was a great trans when properly cared for in an n/a subie and I am pretty sure there were millions more that were just as good as the one I had.

To the OP don't be scared from the 4eat under stock power they can last a very very long time even under more than stock power they can last with a good aux cooler and synthetic fluid. There is a reason they were so widely used in the Subie lineup and it is not because they were horrible.

The svx tran was not as strong as the newer 4eat is so technically you could make it work but you still end up with an engine that isn't better than the newer 3.0 and probably a weight penalty on the eg33. And then you would need to wire in a tcu from a 4eat equipped car...which means money and know how although I believe nasioc or rs25 has a wiring guru that sells harnesses for swaps that could be used. But then their is that swap thing and reliability thing.

To the OP. Avoid any car with a swap. They can possibly have just as many, if not, more headaches than you can even imagine if it isn't done right :eek:. Don't care if it has a warranty. Get a car that is stock, not a car with a swap that can possibly be a nightmare. If anything, if you're worried about the 4eat, learn to drive a manual car properly. Since the honda is a 5 spd, and imo, are pretty easy to learn to drive manual with, keep the civic until you can drive a manual like its second nature. Then get your license, buy the car you want, whether its a subaru or some other car, and you should be good as long as you maintain the car.

More i think about it a sport outback might be my best option. Or an l i.m really thinking a 2.2 would be best. The h6 i love the look but the gas mileage and premium gas might do me in the end as il be driving to all gas buisness and compairing them in a fuel survey with my job. I really did like the 2.2 gt legacy i drove but like you guys said save up whilebibget my lisence drive the honda for now buy a subaru in the winter around tax season within rhe next year. Ibfound a 01 rs with 50 k auto and a 02 wrx wagon with 150 for 5 but they both are waaay tonfar. I been seeing a few 2.5 rs 98 01 for 3 to 8k but 2.5 and head gasket. I guess ul read up on some sports and see if the 2.2 models are any cool.

Don't get too caught up in the 2.2 2.5 debate in the best of conditions neither motor is a barn stormer. But both can be reliable a sohc 2.5 with regular coolant changes and subaru coolant conditioner should last a very long time. The conditioner should keep gasket issues at bay. The dohc 2.5 was the more problematic one and was only used for a couple years something like 98 to 02ish. It's an easy check though. Just look for one cam or two. And you can see gasket leak on the sohc by checking the mating surface of the head and block from underneath the car. The dohc motors leaked internally though that is why it's best to avoid them.

ok so which models came with the 2.5 sohc. I really dont see alot of 98 01 sports for sale anywhere near me theres a few with 200k and a 2 k price tag but i'd feel alot better buying something with lower miles. much as i can learn the better i'm going to be. so i do appreciate all advice given.

Haha. Guess il expand my research i was set on a gt limited the 05 and 06 look great but im okay with a 2.2 what year did the out back sport stop using 2.2. I like the wing the wagon hatch gets but otherwise ibhate the hatch same way i hate my 90 dx hatch

Archived