LegacyGT.com

which out of these cars are worth going to look.

dtgodmage

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"i don't have my lisence i have just never had to learn how to drive. i have driven but not around traffic just back roads or really late."

^^^^ you stated this in your Original post, and to be quite honest with you, between your two threads I'm confused as ***K,

you seem to be jumping around with talk about sti swaps with a RS in one breath then to 2 other legacy generations in another.

Just slow down a little bit, you were given some sound advice, figure out the generation you want to go with, and research the piss out of what's for sale in your area.

If you can find someone that has knowledge of Subaru's, take them with you, check out a car, and go from there.

If you are riding Dirty, Johnny Law will catch up with you.... it's not a question of if, it's a matter when. This all becomes pointless when that happens.

Good luck

Driving dirty is BAD BAD BAD news MKAY. You don't even need to have an accident to get serious trouble

1. NO insurance = SR-22 in most states and possible DL suspension. Then getting insurance will be like going 15 rounds with Big Bob from Harold and Kumar... I sincerely hope you like the taste of mayo...

2. NO DL pretty much you go straight to jail as for insurance, see my comment above... 15 rounds with Big Bob

3. If you do get into an accident you are TOTALLY screwed as you will most likely have to deal with heavy penalties and fines above what you would get from above...in addition to 30 rounds with Big Bob...you will most likely never eat mayo again. edit: this is in addition to the civil judgments you will face as people try to get money that you will owe them.

If you are on a learner's permit you cannot drive solo until you have passed the test and procured a DL.

A Honda Civic is a fine car to drive while you are learning to drive and after you have your DL and are gaining experience because if you total it, it's not that big of a loss. More importantly it is a very forgiving car if you make a rookie mistake...

I get paid 9.50 an hour not the best in the world but out off the 1000 to 1200 i make a month i only use maybe 450 650 depending. Ive done the home work with insurance and say 150 a moth id be able to aford the car payment and insurance in one check with enough to have some leeway. My mom has copd and i noticed how hard and winded she gets turning the wheel shes fine in a friends car with power steering i. The last 2 weeks i enrolled in driving schhool and been driving 6 8 hours a day then going to work. Im getting along 5 with the 5 speed. And i have a friend who just got out of mechanic school and i know he buys broken cars fixes them and flips them but hes never touched a subbie and i know there are alot of good youtube videos bit i get confused with allbthe 2.5s and 2.2s and h4 h6 stuff. Sorry this has been a mess. I have always wanted to learn how work on a car. But i want something i cam say do the headgasket and timing around tax season id totally be ok with that. Ive had 4 cars every time i seriously started to learn id get rod knock a bad clutch or engine goes. So now im trying to learn as much as i can and from what ive gathered is my best bet is a vdc h6 3.0 i hate the wagon and id perfer to get thr sedan which one up the street from me 6500 144 k and if y guys can confirm this more then likely will last a year im ok for that. Also like the legacy sus another rare model but no turbon so reliability is higher correct.

Ok, first and foremost, answer this question: do you have a license :confused:?!?!?

And to answer your question: you had a talon tsi, which pretty much a turbo'd mitsubishi eclipse with awd…however, generally, when considering reliability: na>forced induction. na stands for naturally aspirated, and forced induction is just a fancy term for a car that is either turbocharged or supercharged, and yes they're different. Main difference between them is a turbocharger runs off exhaust gases and a supercharger runs off the engine drive belts or chains (whichever one they have, usually its a belt).

Second: In my honest opinion, this is not the car for you. If you nor your friend don't know how to work on subies, then trying to do gaskets and such will probably be a nightmare for the both of you…oil changes and other basic maintenance should be easy, but gaskets and such will be much more difficult, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

My suggestion: buy a honda or toyota and put snows on it for the winter if you're afraid of the snow. You'll get better gas mileage than a subie and the best part is you'll be good in the snow with the snow tires on the honda or toyota. Also, hondas and toyotas are much easier for learning how to work on than a subie will be, and your mechanic friend will probably have a much easier time fixing one of those than a subie.

Not trying to be mean or rude, just telling you the truth and trying to help you make a smart decision.

I get paid 9.50 an hour not the best in the world but out off the 1000 to 1200 i make a month i only use maybe 450 650 depending. Ive done the home work with insurance and say 150 a moth id be able to aford the car payment and insurance in one check with enough to have some leeway. My mom has copd and i noticed how hard and winded she gets turning the wheel shes fine in a friends car with power steering i. The last 2 weeks i enrolled in driving schhool and been driving 6 8 hours a day then going to work. Im getting along 5 with the 5 speed. And i have a friend who just got out of mechanic school and i know he buys broken cars fixes them and flips them but hes never touched a subbie and i know there are alot of good youtube videos bit i get confused with allbthe 2.5s and 2.2s and h4 h6 stuff. Sorry this has been a mess. I have always wanted to learn how work on a car. But i want something i cam say do the headgasket and timing around tax season id totally be ok with that. Ive had 4 cars every time i seriously started to learn id get rod knock a bad clutch or engine goes. So now im trying to learn as much as i can and from what ive gathered is my best bet is a vdc h6 3.0 i hate the wagon and id perfer to get thr sedan which one up the street from me 6500 144 k and if y guys can confirm this more then likely will last a year im ok for that. Also like the legacy sus another rare model but no turbon so reliability is higher correct.

Not sure what you're looking for here. You've had 4 cars, which have lasted less than a year. now you want to buy a turbo subaru. Cars don't spontaneously die, they fail from poor maintenance from bad mechanics, cheap parts or no money. A turbo subaru fails because, well, turbo. In the hands of a neophyte, such as yourself, it will fail within a year; because your other 4 cars have and because turbo.

A turbo subaru is not for everyone. An old turbo subaru is definitely not for everyone. People who buy them generally refer to the experience as a "labor of love" or a "money pit".

However, you are 100% convinced that a turbo subaru is the best car for you. Giving your history, I'd buy the cheapest one you can find. Then you & your mechanic buddy can use the $7000 to keep it running. At year's end, you'll either have a running car and want to sell or you'll have a dead car and want to sell it. Either way, you'll have learned something.

So even a decently maintenance vdc h6 will more then likely fail at 150k. No one gets it i dont care if its turbo infact i know how bad a 4 cylinder turbo can sink you that talon made me weary and i try to learn what i should look for thst can be fatal. Like i said i dont want w honda i dont want fwd or i want awd thats why im asking which models dont have a turbo

So even a decently maintenance vdc h6 will more then likely fail at 150k. No one gets it i dont care if its turbo infact i know how bad a 4 cylinder turbo can sink you that talon made me weary and i try to learn what i should look for thst can be fatal. Like i said i dont want w honda i dont want fwd or i want awd thats why im asking which models dont have a turbo

Seriously, do you have a license:confused::confused::confused:, because if you don't, keep the civic. Don't care how much you hate driving it. Keep it till you get your license, then find a subie you like. It's a cheap car you can beat on and not worry too much about if something happens to it. And to be honest, just because you have awd, doesn't mean anything. Once you hit a real good patch of ice, your done pretty much. End of story. It's not just about the car, its about the tires as well because tires are the only things that keep your car in contact with the road!!, and yes there are also a bunch of factors and awd is nice to have, but as the saying goes "you have to pay to play." Also, even if its not a turbo, something can randomly break within a month or two, whether you can afford to get it fixed or not. This goes for any car. So lets think about this for a second, a fwd car is a.) more affordable b.) usually easier to fix, unless you buy a german car, in which case I will tell you to run away from and to never look back, and c.) can be good in the snow if you put good tires on it. I drove a fwd car in the snow. You just need to be cautious, and not drive like an idiot :rolleyes:…However, if you are truly committed to buying a subaru, you are better off buying an impreza, legacy, or outback. Also, don't be too picky on either sedan or wagon. If you find a clean h6 wagon, take it. Be warned, if you realize you can't afford to fix/maintain the car, we warned you. But seriously answer the question highlighted in blue on top and I can give you a far easier answer, because right now :iam: to whether you can legally drive or not…and that is a serious issue...

Like i said ive logged 72 hours in 2 weeks with local police so no i dont hsve a lisence and i dont drive unless mom or friend is with me il probably do another 28 and test. The school thinks im ready to test now but im trying to really feel ready i still get nervous in traffic and never touched a highway. I hear good things about the h6 3.0 and that with 91 and regulsr maintenance they are solid subbies almost on par with 2.2 l blocks the two subbies my current situation could handle.

Like i said ive logged 72 hours in 2 weeks with local police so no i dont hsve a lisence and i dont drive unless mom or friend is with me il probably do another 28 and test. The school thinks im ready to test now but im trying to really feel ready i still get nervous in traffic and never touched a highway. I hear good things about the h6 3.0 and that with 91 and regulsr maintenance they are solid subbies almost on par with 2.2 l blocks the two subbies my current situation could handle.

look man,you "you have to crawl before you walk",seriously,right now u should be concentrating on getting your drivers license as your primary goal,because if u drive without a valid drivers license,u are putting yourself,your family and everyone around u in danger if u get into a car accident,the police will rip u a new one and when the insurance company finds out "U" were the driver,there not going to cover a dime on your insurance claim and then you are responsible for any damages that you caused,then you and your family will have to pay big $$$ if u caused the accident(and even if u didn't caused the accident,you might be held responsible for it).

Then say bye bye to your civic,money and owning a subaru for a little while and say hello to financial burden!

Now what i think everyone is trying to tell u is,get your DL first and then buy your subaru! like we say in the army "Its not that ******* hard" lol

but again that's just my .2 cents......

For the 3000 time im 28 i lost 3 friends to street racing i will not drive unless i have a lisenced friver willing to go with me. I hsve the luxury of living 1 minute walking distance to work. But in the mean time why can i not learn about the car i plan on owning you guys are doing anything but being helpful all ive been asking about what subaru within my budget and needs best suit me and so far from me reading a about or a impreza with 2.2l engine or any subaru with this swap have a better chance and being a moderately inexpensive car that suits what ibwant. I dont care about speed turbos or all that dumb shit maybe one day when my financial situation better suits me and with more wrench work doing that wrx swap we all dream of will be possible. But i just want to know what things i should look at when i do decide to buy a car that no detail goes unnoticed. My civic ive done the exhaust headers and all the maitence since owning it. Only thing i didnt do was the full suspension replacement few months ago when all the springs and struts broke and the car would not drive. Cost alot but it had to be done. But i just want to know what to look out for when buying a impreza sport or legacy bean or l or what ever is the most reliable models are.

Lol street racing scene. Anyway if you are very concerned for your mother why don't you get a 4wd suv or something? You could get a nice little rav4 and your mom would be wonderfully happy that you thought so much of her comfort. There will be no need to swap engines for more power and street cred and you will be able to get a job with a 1 minutes to work that is a promotion away. The newer hyundai are really reliable and come with 100 mile warrenty. My brothers 2002 elantra has 218k miles on origional trans and engine. For a 28 year old with so much tragedy on your hand engine swaps and street racing scenes seems like a silly thing to put before your mother who only loves you very much. Please take our good advice and get a car your mother would find comfortable in her final years.

If you are set on a Subaru, read through the forums listed below the one you posted in (there is one for every Generation of Subaru Legacy/Outback) and check out NASIOC.com as well. There are 1000's of threads about the different gens and their respective engines. There are also so many different variables based on what you said you want to buy. Read until your heart's content. We all did before we asked questions, and it makes the experience that much better here. Personally, I read tons of threads before I even became a member here, there's a lot of knowledge from actual Subaru Techs and real people who have had to discover things through working through them.

Good luck, and as everyone else said, get that license before buying another car...

For the 3000 time im 28 i lost 3 friends to street racing i will not drive unless i have a lisenced friver willing to go with me. I hsve the luxury of living 1 minute walking distance to work. But in the mean time why can i not learn about the car i plan on owning you guys are doing anything but being helpful all ive been asking about what subaru within my budget and needs best suit me and so far from me reading a about or a impreza with 2.2l engine or any subaru with this swap have a better chance and being a moderately inexpensive car that suits what ibwant. I dont care about speed turbos or all that dumb shit maybe one day when my financial situation better suits me and with more wrench work doing that wrx swap we all dream of will be possible. But i just want to know what things i should look at when i do decide to buy a car that no detail goes unnoticed. My civic ive done the exhaust headers and all the maitence since owning it. Only thing i didnt do was the full suspension replacement few months ago when all the springs and struts broke and the car would not drive. Cost alot but it had to be done. But i just want to know what to look out for when buying a impreza sport or legacy bean or l or what ever is the most reliable models are.

got u,u need info on your next subaru,use this link http://legacygt.com/forums/search.php?, it has tons of information about what u want,just look and see,good luck man!:)

Overall the h6 3.0 is more reliable than the 2.5 but it also is a little harder to work on because of the 3 plugs on each side as opposed to two. If your friend has any automotive know how then you should be fine working on a Subie they are some of the easiest cars I have ever worked on with the right information which is easy enough to find. Either here subaruforester.org outback.org or just plain old youtube. Their is tons of good information to help you out. Have you considered a forester at all? They are the roomier of the older subie's and built on the impreza platform and the people on that forum are very helpful.

Also fyi basically you will deal with a handful of engines: 2.2, 2.5 dohc, 2.5 sohc, 2.5 turbo which is also dohc, 3.0 h6. The sohc is generally more reliable than the dohc although with proper maintenance the turbo is a much better engine. The 2.2 probably has the most going for it since it has all the good of the sohc and none of the bad like gasket failures. The h6 is generally pretty trouble free and has a chain instead of a belt so no timing belt worries. And gaskets seem to stay sealed better.

What about svxs are those engines good snd reliable they are older and cheaper then anything out of the subaru line. I think i read the tranny sre bsd in them but surely something else would fit. I really dony know what to search as some things i still dont get and i dont get slot of time to just mess about. My mom wont be driving anymore once i get my lisence so a rough ride wont matter. Im just trying to learn i hsve considered automotive school or at least lesrn body work or painting would be kind of cool

Most stuff you can learn on your own or by doing there is even a how to on subaruforester.org that shows how to do the headgaskets without removing the engine. The main thing to remember is subarus are mostly built on similar platforms and the engines and trans are basically all the same throughout the lineup. So it's not so much which Subie.

Thats what i figured what could swap into any options. So far im considering and l wagon or sport or the h6 sedans or an sus. I went and seen a gt limted with a 2.2 l swap they took me in lifted explained things was never treated like that at a dealer ever. But im going to do my homework i just dont really know what bto ask or search

A swap is something I would avoid, generally that is going to involve modifying the wiring harness which if not done correctly can cause a lot of issues later on. Look for something as stock as possible.

Not exciting I know, but if reliable is what you want then stock is also what you want.

Structure your priorities First!!!!! you have a car, now focus on getting your license and banking more money if you must have a Subie.

Read until your eyes hurt, then read and research some more.

I'm sure if you start from the beginning of this thread, which now consists of 40+ posts you will find That you have been given some pretty solid advice, and that you questions have been answered multiple times.

It appears that you don't like the answer that you have been given.Don't know what else you want the guys on here to do.

This thread is redundant at this point. Sell the Honda and buy a moped.;)

I was just curious because i see all kinds auto trans for sale and if they fit in a svx i figured having that car has the eg33 and thats a cook swap into something in the future and since i would of owned it for awhile id know it better. Thanks guys il just type in stuff or just read into the generations i like with the 2.2 and h6 thid board seems more popular and active sorry for being annoying just trying to learn

I was just curious because i see all kinds auto trans for sale and if they fit in a svx i figured having that car has the eg33 and thats a cook swap into something in the future and since i would of owned it for awhile id know it better. Thanks guys il just type in stuff or just read into the generations i like with the 2.2 and h6 thid board seems more popular and active sorry for being annoying just trying to learn

Alright, so you're still technically learning how to drive.

First and foremost: Get your license!!!!! Once you do that, you'll have a bit more cash on hand, then buy a subie. I recommend buying an older subie such as a forester, impreza, or legacy with either an h6 or 2.2 sohc. I recommend the h6 since it is chain driven and it will have a bit more of a kick to her ;). Listen, I understand where you're coming from. I had to work my butt off to get the car I wanted, an 05 lgt, mainly because a wrx was far too much on insurance for me :p. But still, I bought it, knowing what I was getting into. Also, knowing the owner does help a bit :lol:. I understand that you want to buy the car you want. In the end, its your decision and I can't control that, but what I can and am doing is trying to give you some advice on what should be your biggest priority first. Read the third gen forums and stickies. So much info there I can't even begin to explain. In your current situation, I wouldn't be looking into doing swaps until you get a good job and a decent amount of cash in the bank. It's not the motor that will be a pain to install, but the wiring/harnesses and such will be the biggest issues you'll run into. If anything, buy a wrx in good condition once you get a good job if you want a turbo'd car again.

Archived