LegacyGT.com

Thoroughly disappointing highway MPG: the norm or exception?

Running 40PSI F and 38PSI R - checked at every fuel stop! Stock wheels running my winter tires: 225/50/17.

With the economy tune, I'm ridiculously gentle on the throttle. Never go in to boost, never drop into 4th for a pass. I also want to mention that this was strictly highway, my overnight stop (15 hours day one + 17 hours day two) was right off the exit. The ONLY other times I stopped was for gas.

Are your winter tires snow tires? That could be why, snow tires aren't the best for good MPG.

I also heard that economy tune actually can hurt your gas mileage (depending on your driving style), due to lack of power when needed to accelerate thus have to throttle in for longer time.

My 08 Spec.B gets 14 in the streets and 16 on the highway. Not sure why considering it got a new shortblock 20k miles ago. Maybe it's time to go StgII to help it breathe easier.

That's not right, I would say it sounds like you have an issue someplace. Compression and leakdown pass?

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Are your winter tires snow tires? That could be why, snow tires aren't the best for good MPG.

I also heard that economy tune actually can hurt your gas mileage (depending on your driving style), due to lack of power when needed to accelerate thus have to throttle in for longer time.

That's not right, I would say it sounds like you have an issue someplace. Compression and leakdown pass?

Compression test three weeks ago came back 148-152 on all cylinders. Have a slight boost leak (1lb/min) but not sure what else is causing it. Running AS tires at 34 psi, took my rack off too.

It's all about how you apply that right foot as well.

I have a mix of driving and any stop and go means easy on the go and drive like your breaks don't work you'll be better off.

People "including myself" have to always keep in mind once you apply the breaks you have effectively wasted the energy you used to get to that speed in the first place.

I cringe watching people ass to tail on the grades using their breaks going up a hill, really?!?

Just driving ahead of the situation and easing up on the throttle is all that is needed to get some better results.

It's likely our short commute and warm up times are kicking it down further than usual.

Just did an air filter, plugs, pcv valve, cleaned the MAF sensor, and new tires.

Driving nearly the exact same route and miles, I'm getting the exact same mpg as before, of 21.

Last summer I was easily 25mpg mixed driving without even trying, and 27+ all highway.

My car is seriously sucking it down this winter....

No idea what else it could be other than the cold.

Tire pressures, cold starts eating more fuel, and colder fluids creating more friction.

Number 1 improvement for highway for me has been increasing tire pressures to 40+ psi cold, second is cold starts for city driving, reducing the amount of cold starts I do over a week, increases my mileage a good bit.

Driving the car nicely yields me around 16.5mpg city in the cold, driving the car like a rental yields me 15.5mpg. Driving most of my city miles in 3 days instead of 7 days yields me a 2mpg improvement ontop of that.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Really now. That's a massive improvement.

more like 16mpg highway is a huge outlier. stock(summer/winter tires), stg 1(summer/winter tires), stg2(winter tires), has always yielded 22+ highway mpg for me

Really now. That's a massive improvement.

I'm going off of what the computer calculated, haven't tested a full tank yet, but I went down the same 50-mile stretch of highway, resetting the trip computer before both times. The car definitely handles a lot better and the acceleration is a lot smoother, quieter while idle and cruising.

There's 40% more air pressure in the tires, and according to Cobb 10% more hp/tq. I'll try out economy map sometime soon and see how that works out.

• 2 weeks later...
Your MAF sensor can have a lot to do with mileage if it is mis-calibrating the conditions. You really should get a CEL if it is bad but it is also easy to pull and clean just to make sure that it is in top condition.

I cleaned my MAF sensor when I swapped in my new VF40. Between that and the lack of boost leaks, my MPG (according to the trip computer) has been a solid 20.7 on 80% town driving. TC was calculating 17.8 before, but it always aims high. Guessing I'll be at around 19 this tank.

Archived