LegacyGT.com

Least expensive downpipe

I am trying to figure out of it is aftermarket, the seller only said "ceramic coated downpipe" and I didn't think to ask if it was oem or aftermarket. I am trying to find out now because I am getting a pro-tune and need to. Over the weekend I will pull off the turbo heatshield to find out for sure.

Well honestly unless you actually take the time to look I dont think anyone here is gonna be able to help you without a picture or something. You should be able to crawl under the car and look and see if you dont feel like taking the heat shield off. If there's a shiny pipe down there chances are its aftermarket

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an SPT CBE, but with that exhaust would the car backfire sometimes and also smell a decent amount like gas with the stock downpipe? Or are those tell tale sings of aftermarket?

Sounds like catless aftermarket. You really should stay out of boost until the car has a tune on it. If you smell alot of gas chances are you are running pretty rich and need a tune immediately

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Sounds like catless aftermarket. You really should stay out of boost until the car has a tune on it. If you smell alot of gas chances are you are running pretty rich and need a tune immediately

Only thing that makes me think its not catless is no engine light, and passed nj emissions inspection.

Only thing that makes me think its not catless is no engine light, and passed nj emissions inspection.

Well again until you actually look there's no way we can be sure by the info you are giving. Good luck!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Without pics, it's Web MD for cars. How anal is NJ? I was stationed at JB MDL for 7 years but my cars were registered Va or Oh. Va I totally could have gutted my perrin cat and passed visual after tune. Having a Va car garaged outside of Va I still could gut and not ever test but I kinda still wan it legal. Just feels good that I could do it if I wanted to.

Yep, that's the flange for the turbo and the larger pipe is for the turbo exhaust, smaller is for the wastegate exhaust. It could be one of those shorty style ones that keeps the 2nd cat further down, since the LGT is a 2-piece downpipe stock. Possibly a Stromung, but again, those welds don't look right for that either. It's most likely a cheap brand to begin with, which doesn't mean it's all bad.

Yeah, it's a divorced aftermarket downpipe. Why did nobody mention that it would be extremely unlikely for anyone to ceramic coat the stock downpipe? As for whether catted or not, take a shot of that pipe under the car where it levels to mate to the exhaust.

He didn't take the pictures and just posted them recently, before that no one could see if it was coated.

I'm aware. He mentioned this earlier in the thread.

When I bought my car, the seller said it had a ceramic coated downpipe and I didn't think to ask if it was the stock one or not. Is there anyway it could still be the stock one or would it have to be aftermarket because it is ceramic coated?

Yeah, it's a divorced aftermarket downpipe. Why did nobody mention that it would be extremely unlikely for anyone to ceramic coat the stock downpipe? As for whether catted or not, take a shot of that pipe under the car where it levels to mate to the exhaust.

I did a couple times, a couple other users also mentioned it would be extremely unlikely to be OEM and ceramic coated.

OP - glad you figured it out. I think you will be amazed at how much better your car feels with a protune on.

How can I find out if it is catted or catless?

Look for a bulb. Catless will be a straight pipe from the turbo to the midpipe. A cat will be a bulb / wider section of the pipe. It could be right by the firewall or under the car.

The cat can be lower on the pipe.

http://www.jscspeed.com/part_pictures/invidia_wrx_downpipes.jpg

I did a couple times, a couple other users also mentioned it would be extremely unlikely to be OEM and ceramic coated.

OP - glad you figured it out. I think you will be amazed at how much better your car feels with a protune on.

Yea im very excited to see how much better/faster it feels. Now i just need to find out whether it is catted or catless.

Archived