LegacyGT.com

Hitch will burn up turbo

waterdish

Hi Guys, I was trying to look through all the Hitch Threads and make sense of it all. I want to tow a small boat motor and trailer or a 4wheeler stuff like that. I decided to call up my dealer and ask them if they had a hitch for my car... He looked and said no there isn't one... Then he told me my car isn't setup for towing... I said, like what wiring? he said no that it won't have enough power (guess thought i had 2.5i) I said well I have the turbo version of the car and he said OH NO! Thats even WORSE, "THAT WILL BURN UP THE TURBO"... thought you guys might like that one... HAHA! Still don't know what to do as far as a hitch goes and wiring haha

Also would they void my warranty cause of a hitch???

While Im here. anyone got a straight forward solution to this?

Dave

My parent's used to tow a small trailer with their Boneville SSEi which is supercharged. It'd be fine, but you'd want to change your oil right afterwards; it'd be black.

Sorry, that's all I have to contribute.

I apologize in advance, I do not have anything real to contribute here, personally, as I do not tow. :(

However:

One of our local Scooby enthusiasts reported that on his WRX, he sees about 300 deg. F. lower EGTs when he tows in 5th gear.

This, though, is in direct opposition to conventional wisdom that, at least at reasonable highway speeds (his cited speeds were under 75 mph.), 4th gear should be used, provided that you have a 5MT transmission, in order to insure that you do not lug the engine.

Certainly, he does not keep the car in 5th if conditions would make it so that he must lug in order to get the car+trailer, say, up a hill - but this lower EGT phenomenon (1200 deg. F. using 4th gear for highway cruising versus 1400 to 1500 deg. F. when 5th gear is used), present at highway cruising speeds, puzzles him.

Your input is appreciated.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah, Keefe, the only thing I worry about is the tranny (well, clutch actually). I have a lake house w/ a PWC (~1,000 w/ trailer) and a 17' bowrider (~2,400 w/ trailer). I can just FEEL the clutch's pain as I slip it when I start from a stop...especially out of the water and up the boat ramp. Did the PWC as it's running like crap (it's bogging and flooding (gas, not water)) and it went fine. Hope the boat goes as well in about a month...

I said well I have the turbo version of the car and he said OH NO! Thats even WORSE, "THAT WILL BURN UP THE TURBO"... thought you guys might like that one... HAHA!

Oh brother. *slaps forehead*

I suppose that's why the UPS truck I used to drive had a turbo diesel in it :rolleyes:. The biggest truck used for local deliveries too I might add. Oh and if I'm not mistaken many tractor trailers are turbo'ed.

On a side note my Dad's dealer told him the exact same thing about his Turbo LeBaron :p. I think these guys all go to the same service managers training course.

One of our local Scooby enthusiasts reported that on his WRX, he sees about 300 deg. F. lower EGTs when he tows in 5th gear.

This, though, is in direct opposition to conventional wisdom that, at least at reasonable highway speeds (his cited speeds were under 75 mph.), 4th gear should be used, provided that you have a 5MT transmission, in order to insure that you do not lug the engine.

That's because Subaru's 5th gears aren't much of an overdrive. We're revvin' like a Honda at interstate speeds so it's just like being in 4th gear on a "normal" 5spd.

• 1 year later...

So i'm looking to get an LGT wagon with manual transmission, and i would like to be able to tow a motorcycle or two, a jet ski, or a couple snowmobiles. Heaviest load would probably be the snowmobiles. They're 500-600 lbs each, and the trailer is probably around 700-900 lbs. That'd be 2100 at the heavy end. Well within the 2,700 lb rating.

My concern is the same as has been mentioned before: excessively long periods of time on boost. Will that cause dangerous heat conditions? I'm sure it'll be tough on the clutch too, but i dont see myself doing it frequently enough for that to be a major concern. Just one long, hot pull is all it could take to do some heat damage to the engine/turbo though.

Have any of you posters, or thread author done much towing since the last post? Experiences?

One other thing, I'm assuming the transmission coolers are for the auto transmissions, or does that apply to manuals as well?

Yeah, tranny coolers are only for auto's, it's just an extra' step to keeping it cool, with the 5mt you don't really need to worry about it...

One of my buddies has an OBXT with a hitch, from the dealer, so i don't see why they wouldn't make them for the LGT... wierd

IIRC, the legacy wagon and OB wagon has a different rear structural arrangement than the sedan. If the dealer looks up the accessories for the wagon, he will find the Subaru OEM hitch.

I have read on this forum that people have installed hitches on sedans anyway.

As everyone here has posted, I don't believe it has anything to do with the turbo.

• 4 years later...
If we aren't supposed to tow anything, then why are there mounting points for a hitch and a plug for a wiring harness???

What a dolt your dealer is.

Off topic, but my local dealer is worse. They insisted they had to remove the intercooler to refill the transmission.

Archived