LegacyGT.com

coolant question

If you mix the green Subaru long-life coolant with something else (like yellow Prestone or equivalent) you will loose the "long-life" benefit of the Subaru coolant, but it will be just as effective at engine temperature management.

I had Subaru's concentrated coolant (diluted to a 50/50 mix) and topped it off with some off the shelf all makes/model safe stuff. No issues.

$26 for Subaru green concentrate, $26 for peak concentrate.

Your pick. I just get the subaru one, a bottle of distilled water and the subaru conditioner.

one thing i do suggest is getting one of these:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRWWtLleVDdvfzHmzOrccK7Gj9kFT1AYlnMJhgV1cq4_gb3hg&usqp=CAY

They do a fantastic job of getting rid of air bubbles in the system.

I've always used the green Subaru Long Life coolant in my 08 Spec B, but I was wondering if there was a huge difference between that and what the stuff that's sold as "Compatable with all" is? Any real risk in using it?

Thanks.

If yours is green, it's not Long-Life. Subaru's LLCoolant is blue.

I get Peak or Prestone from Kmart for about $12.00 a bottle. Then mix it 50/50 with water and have 2 gallons.

Been doing that for many years.

I can remember when a gallon was under $5.00.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh god, I think that was told to me many, many, many years ago, like back in the early 1970's. Read the bottle, it may say.

or google it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So i googled

Seems like its more important in the summer/ hot months

To add h20

From what i just read its not really a big deal in the cold/winter months

Although it looks like i should add a lil distilled to my system

For the record tho i have yet to overheat or see any real issues from using mostly full strength

Is RO water ok? Instead of distilled? I mean any purified water should work right?

The best cooling for the system is pure water. Many racing applications use this. Now, if you live anywhere where the temp can get below freezing it should be obvious why this is a bad idea. You add anti-freeze to the water to lower the freezing point to match your climate.

Running only anti-freeze (no water) would be reserved for only the absolute coldest climates on the planet. You will get reduced cooling capacity from the system, but the ambient temp will be cold enough where it won't matter. Running only anti-freeze in traditional climates (i.e. Those with 80-90 F degree summers and winters which can drop down to -20 F) you are loosing cooling capacity on those hot days and risk overheating. Can modern cooling systems make due? Sure, but why risk overheating.

A 50/50 mix in the cooling system give the best of both worlds for the 95 percent of us with "normal" climates. It's the same concept as xW-xx weight oils. Good for both cold and hot conditions.

Just wanted to add to some of the prior comments.

I live in southern california where freezing temperatures are not a concern unless we go up to the mountains during the winter. In our moderate climate you can't run straight distilled water either. All cars come with thermostats that don't open until close to ~200F. By then plain water is already expanding as it nears boiling point. The thermostat attempts to limit the minimum temperature of the coolant while the engine is running. So the thermostat fully opens at near 200F but the radiator fans don't turn on until the temperature reaches about 212F. If the engine were running only distilled water, the water would start to boil before the fans could cool it and you would end up boiling over.

A 50/50 mix raises the boiling point of the coolant/water mix to about 260F, which would prevent boiling over. 70% coolant raises the boiling point to about 270F. Per Prestone, using a higher concentration of coolant/antifreeze actually starts to decrease the heat transfer properties of the mix.

You should only used distilled water in the cooling system because distilled water has had all the minerals removed. Tap water or purified water have minerals that would leave deposits in your cooling system. Check the bottom of a tea kettle that has been used to boil water for a few years and you'll see what these deposits look like.

As far as what coolant to use.. I use a 50/50 pre-mixed long life green coolant from Prestone that is supposedly compatible with any other color coolant. I haven't had any issues. And although I didnt like the idea, I also add the "subaru coolant conditioner" if i'm having to drain and fill the system. Its pretty much proven that the "conditioner" is a stop leak product. My reasoning for using it is that subaru must know of a weakness that they dont admit too. Maybe its for possible leaks at the head gaskets or due to all the coolant hose connections that these turbo engines have. Who knows.

The best cooling for the system is pure water. Many racing applications use this. Now, if you live anywhere where the temp can get below freezing it should be obvious why this is a bad idea. You add anti-freeze to the water to lower the freezing point to match your climate.

This isn't completely true. You need to add something like waterwetter to get some corrosion protection.

Archived