LegacyGT.com

Rear Differential Leak

• Moderators

Found some gear oil on the garage floor the other day. Crawled under today and it's definitely the rear diff. Doesn't look like an axle issue, and the front of the diff is dry. The back of the diff is a mess of fluid residue. Looks like it might be somehow sloshing gear oil out of the top of the diff :confused:

Any ideas? Going to try and snug up the bolts that hold the back cover on, but I'm not sure how many I'll be able to get to. It it possible to drop the diff for service without removing the axles?

It's too cold for this crap even with a garage! :spin:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/1EC12D47-6133-4170-9957-BDA0BE8ED271_zps1l6zgerg.jpg

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/F586AB43-28F6-4B98-8622-333F473E86D4_zpsrpxjrqqq.jpg

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

There is a breather up on top of the diff cover.

th?id=HN.608053394028822792&pid=15.1&P=0th?id=HN.607988660287049518&pid=15.1&P=0

The cover gasket need to be installed correctly & the breather clear.

Clogged breather will allow pressure to build up in the diff. & the gear oil will find a way out.

Too much gear oil will &/or very hard driving could allow leakage out of the breather.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Moderators

Gear oil hasn't been touched since the whole 6mt swap went in back in 12/2013, so I'm guessing it's not overfilled. Kind of hard to overfill a rear diff anyway.

Looks like I'll get to drop the rear diff at some point I guess.

• Moderators

The crud just wipes away with a rag. It's just gear oil and dirt, really.

I pulled the filler bolt and the diff is still quite full, so I'm not terribly worried. It seems like it's a small amount of oil that getting misted all over the diff and making a mess. Will keep an eye on it for sure since a new diff costs more than a shortblock :lol:

That's deff caused by a clogged breather. Its more common that the oil pushes out the axle seals but yours seems to be from the back. Either way you can reach up there and clean it off with a soft wire brush and try and spin the cap of it. I'm sure it won't spin. After rust and all that hey are a bitch to try and do in the CSR but replacing the breatherwillsolve your problem. It will only get worse with time.it being clogged is building pressure inside as stated above and its finding its easiest way out.

• Moderators
Roger that. I just need to figure out if this can be done on the car or if the whole diff needs to come out. At this point im thinking new breather and new rear gasket. If I can get to those parts, great. If not, I'm guessing the whole diff will need to be removed for service.

Well being that you live in VA you may get lucky with a set of stubby wrenches... But up here in NY where I live here would be no point to attempt in car. Too must rust and stuff from all the salt and the breather would never come out. Need to get "hands on" with it. Don't be surprised if you end up dropping the diff out. You an do it without removing axles kinda drop it one side at a time and "swoop" it out. Lol. Replacing he breather and rear gasket is exactly what I'd do.

Archived