LegacyGT.com

My poor 99 obw

Originally Posted by Nickup1

Anyone have a preference on injector cleaner? And how often to run it? I'm getting a p0304 code hoping its something simple...

So it turns out it wasn't something simple. I'm at 165k for milage. Took the car to PIA in Tacoma and they tried everything. Spark plugs, plug wires, different injectors, they did a compression test and from what they found it looks like it's something deeper in the motor. They said they could pull the heads but it's likely other parts of the motor are tired and I will spend more working on fixing up this motor than just replacing the engine. Their suspicion is that there is something up with one of the valves and that it could let go at any time. Anyone have any thoughts?

Side note: the Steve and the guys at PIA are awesome! They didn't charge me for the hours they put into finding out my motor is effed.

Sent from a Samsung iPhone

• 3 weeks later...
Pull the intake and exhaust manifolds and go to town with a pick/toothbrush carb cleaner/whatever else. My car burns oil and when I did my headgaskets the machine shop found valves not sealing was just carbon buildup. With care you might be able to get it manually or at least visually inspect the valves for problems ie a dropped valve guide or etc. Mine was also on cyl # 4.

You can try idling it and running water through the throttle body with a fine mist sprayer and gently keeping the rpms up. Water burns carbon and it might clean up your valves enough to do what Tr00b mentions only an easier way. Start it, let it idle, spray light mists of water into the throttle body controlling rpm with your hand and continue to mist the water in. You might be surprised as to how well it will do.

There used to be water injection systems years ago for cars that used a water bag under the hood and the vacuum of the engine would pick up the water mist and it kept the valves and combustion chambers clean and it did work.

Good luck.

Pull the intake and exhaust manifolds and go to town with a pick/toothbrush carb cleaner/whatever else. My car burns oil and when I did my headgaskets the machine shop found valves not sealing was just carbon buildup. With care you might be able to get it manually or at least visually inspect the valves for problems ie a dropped valve guide or etc. Mine was also on cyl # 4.

My car use too smoke after highway drives and I had a feeling my valve guide seals were leaking. I threw in blue devil engine oil stop leak. and after 2 weeks it never smoked again this was like 6 months ago. I'm not all for stop leaks that just thicken your oil. but this stuff is like water and repairs your seals. I just took her on a 1000 mile trip no issue. I didn't have a trouble code but blue devil worked wonders for me. $20. if anything a junkyard complete head is real cheap.

Archived