LegacyGT.com

08-09 Legacy GT vs 3.0R

LRs281

Hey guys. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death and I've read quite a few that I have come across but still am not sure which direction to go. I have driven both cars but haven't had the chance to push them or drive them for extended periods of time (typical short round about with the salesman in the car).

Normal driving around the city 30-40mph the cars felt relatively alike. I was able to get on the GT quickly but not with everything it had. The 3.0 felt a little stronger with normal acceleration and the GT had a nice kick when the turbo was pushed a little extra. I'm not sure how the 3.0 would feel if pushed harder like the GT though.

My plans for the car are a reliable daily driver with the occasional fun romp here and there. I have read mixed reviews on the reliability of both motors but from what I gather the GT will more than likely start to crap out around 120k in stock/ish form while the 3.0 will go for a good 200k. Are those numbers generally the norm?

If I get the 3.0 it will remain stock, while the GT would possibly get a stage 1 upgrade and that's it. I have a another car that is the modding toy so a stage 1 is as far as I would take it and there is a good possibility it too would just remain stock. My questions on this subject are what is the typical costs for going stage 1 on the GT, how big of a difference is it, and how does it affect the reliability and lifespan of the car? (Main car I would have fun against is a stock 2015 forester xt and only very rarely)

Both cars have roughly 55k-60k miles and the carfax reports look pretty good as far as oil changes are concerned. Prices are right about the same at $17,000 which seems kind of high for a 6-7 year old car even with lower mileage. I've seen 2010's for $16,000 albeit base cloth versions.

What's the typical going rate for these cars? Blue book is around $16,000 but is the actual market selling at bb considering the age and prices of the 2010+? Also for the cars being similar in price and mileage, is one a better deal over the other? (The 3.0 is better equipped suspension wise and initially cost more. Neither have navigation which I thought came standard on 3.0's)

I'm coming from a 94 impreza wagon (aka. Little tank) that refuses to die with over 200k on it. I believe the car is fwd biased (not sure on the split) but it has never been stuck and goes through snow like a dream, and that's with cheapo all season $40-$50 tires that are probably 7-8 years old. How does it compare to something like the 40/60 rear biased split (iirc) of the GT and 3.0? I would thing the rear biased split would be a little more prone to sliding around or losing traction going up a steep snowy hill.

Thanks for any insight in advance. I've always liked the 09 body style vs the newer ones so I'm getting as much info about them before buying one opposed the something newer.

My plans for the car are a reliable daily driver with the occasional fun romp here and there

3.0R easy choice, they both get shitty MPG compared to other sedans in that segment but the EZ30D will outlast 2 or more EJ255s. Change the oil, do maintenance and enjoy multi-thousand mile stretches without issue :)

3.0R easy choice, they both get shitty MPG compared to other sedans in that segment but the EZ30D will outlast 2 or more EJ255s. Change the oil, do maintenance and enjoy multi-thousand mile stretches without issue :)

This. If you don't want to have to fuss with it, get the 30R.

Thanks guys. I've always loved the body style and wanted a 2.5GT for a while. I didn't realize the 3.0R existed until recently. Just weighing the pro's/con's of the car I want vs the car I should get (fun factor/reliability/use of the car)

I have one of each. I may end up getting rid of my GT to get another 3.0R. The reliability and smooth ride from the 3.0R is hard to beat.

But if you're into tuning, performance driving, and working on your own cars, then the GT may be your best choice.

I have an 09 3.0R non-limited trim. I bought it with around 50k for like $18k through CarMax. I have yet to see another in SoCal. Don't let the "only LGT can be tuned and fun" lies spread haha. Raptor Superchargers offer goodies for the 3.0. I am planning on getting the intake and headers in the next few weeks with a custom tune. The 3.0 is a solid car. The only downfall is the lack of a MT. Rallitek makes an insert which takes the slop out of shifting. I bought my 3.0 for the same reason to save money and have a solid platform to have fun with. It's a great car and if you throw a little money into it you will have a blast driving it! As others have said the EZ30 is a fantastic motor. Trust me you will love the 3.0. :wub: BUY IT!!!! :eek: Shoot me a PM if you have any questions more than happy to help!

I don't mind working on my own car but at times, I don't have time to spend working on them. I like the fact that a simple stage one set up on the GT will get some great gains for under $500 im guessing. I've been turned off of the GT in a way after the normal cencus is 120-130k miles and it's fairly certain the motors going.

I took a 3.0R out again and it feels good down low but it lacks the punch at highway speeds. I also tried the paddle shifters and I'm not sure if it matters what drive setting you're in but 35mph in intelligent mode felt quick while sport# from 15-20mph felt incredibly faster. Its a comfortable car with a good punch of the start and reliabily is where it pulls ahead for me. If the GT had the same or similar reliabilty I would be leaning that way. Both cars are great but I'm still leaning towards the 3.0 for reliability.

Thanks for the input/opinions this far guys

3.0R without navi is gonna be the non limited with KYB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, the GT and 3.0R non-limited have the same suspensions.

LRs281, any chance you can show a link to the 3.0R you are looking at? That will resolve all confusion with this. Most non-limited 09s I see are cloth interior.

PS you're toy car must be a mustang, right?

Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound System, iPod/MP3 Input, Multi-CD Changer, 18in Aluminum Wheels, MP3 Player, Keyless Entry.

Car has the perforated leather seats and also the turn signals on the side mirrors.

I'll put the link up when I'm closer to picking it up. (I've been looking for a bit for a low mileage 09 and I'd hate to have it swiped haha)

And yes my other car is a mustang which has one thing I wish the legacy did.....fold down rear seats. Only thing I don't like about the 09 body style

And yes my other car is a mustang which has one thing I wish the legacy did.....fold down rear seats. Only thing I don't like about the 09 body style

The '06-'09 Legacy's all have fold-down rear seats. It's only the '05 that doesn't.

Which wheels did the 3.0R have? The 7-spoke (18" OE on 3.0R Limited) or 6-spoke (actually 17" but OE on the '09 non-limited and the GT models)? (Attached pics). The options you listed seem pretty strange, so I was just curious if the dealer mismarked it. Does the 3.0R have dual-zone climate control with the electronics display for the temperatures? Or the manual temp knobs?

(I'm home sick today, so I'm pretty bored!)

GT_wheel.jpg.58ceae369302285474362da5dfd61f93.jpg

limited-rim.jpg.316cabff2c922dccffedf4569a8e1071.jpg

The '06-'09 Legacy's all have fold-down rear seats. It's only the '05 that doesn't.

Which wheels did the 3.0R have? The 7-spoke (18" OE on 3.0R Limited) or 6-spoke (actually 17" but OE on the '09 non-limited and the GT models)? (Attached pics). The options you listed seem pretty strange, so I was just curious if the dealer mismarked it. Does the 3.0R have dual-zone climate control with the electronics display for the temperatures? Or the manual temp knobs?

(I'm home sick today, so I'm pretty bored!)

05 Wagons have fold down seats. :wub:

But honestly, if you already have another car that is a modding toy, I wouldn't buy a LGT. The 3.0R is a peppy, smooth, reliable daily. Where the GT is a surging, jerky, and failure prone angry car.

But I love my GT, I just wish the feeling was mutual. :rolleyes:

I learned something new today. The '08 3.0R Limited came with Nav as standard equipment. 09s 3.0R Limited had Nav as optional (http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2009.html). You definitely are looking at a 3.0R Limited if it has the turn signals in the side mirrors.

You're lucky that 3.0R Limited doesn't have Nav, because it's awful! 10 year old technology. The screen is only really useful for hooking up an aftermarket rear-backup camera. Otherwise, the space is better suited for a sunglass cubby.

The wheels are the seven spoke. Part numbers for the shocks/struts are: shocks 20365aj06a, and struts 20310aj10a and 20310aj11a

Edit: I searched online but can't figure out if they're the KYB or Bilsteins. They show up as a Subaru manufacturer part

I have an 09 3.0R limited. I love it. Only option mine doesn't have is the navigation, but I am ok with that since I use my phone. Not sure if anyone mentioned it here, but the 09 Legacys have the Harmon Kardon audio, while the 08s do not.

The wheels are the seven spoke. Part numbers for the shocks/struts are: shocks 20365aj06a, and struts 20310aj10a and 20310aj11a

Edit: I searched online but can't figure out if they're the KYB or Bilsteins. They show up as a Subaru manufacturer part

You have the bright yellow Bilsteins.

So the carfax came out clear with no accidents or anything but I ran an autocheck on my own and it came up with 1 accident where the vehicle was hit from the front and was towed away. Car has been service by the same dealer it was bought from its whole life with about an 8 month span of no servicing after the accident date. The accident was mid 2010. When asked, the dealer said they had no idea about the damage and their service department didn't red flag anything during their pre-sale inspection. He did mention again that they have the clean carfax.

I'm going to try and get the police report and pictures of the accident by calling the police dept that handle the accident. If it's more than a flat tire and scratched paint im going to pass on it. The car looks mint in the pictures but if it's was a bad wreck, the insides could be a hidden mess

Anyone know any other ways I could track down more info about the damage sustained from the accident?

Just a word of caution: If the car was repaired well, then you don't have much to fear. If it had front end damage, it probably wasn't enough to set off the airbags. If a fender was bent up and jammed into the wheel and a headlight cracked, it could be no big deal.

A visual inspection with a trained eye, or perhaps just letting a body shop inspect the vehicle will tell you if it was repaired right. You can see a lot of the front end parts pretty easily. If the car was great in every other way, you might be prematurely dismissing it. However, I certainly do understand your hesitation!

I do like the car best of the ones I've come across. Only problem is it's a ways away from where I live but it's near a family member that I was planning on visiting in the close future so inspecting the car takes a little more planning than just a quick day trip. I haven't heard back from the dealer after I told him I wasn't interested without knowing more about the accidents severity. There was no urge to even offer to try finding info on it. All I got was an "I don't know what to tell you, we have a clean carfax.

Archived