LegacyGT.com

Dont buy the fog light kit!

I wouldn't buy the Subaru fog light kit to begin with, if I didn't have a Limited that came with HID and OEM glass lens fogs, I would get and install these (or at least as a substitute for the Subaru version, buy their harness and switch, and the Morimoto fog lights):

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/subaru-morimoto-xb-led.html

If you do a low beam HID retrofit, you don't even need fogs, the HID output is up to the task.

Are the fogs in that kit the base version (plastic lens) or the glass lens version?

Edited by upstater

Fogs without the SRF (Steering Responsive Fogs) are plastic, and glass with SRF.

The Morimoto's are incredible, almost equally as bright as the factory HID.

I highly recommend the Morimoto XBs, they throw a ton of light!!

I have no idea. I was asking about the switch for someone else on the FB page. He was asking about the kit, but I directed him to install some Morimoto fogs and piece together the rest of the kit.

EDIT: Upstater, those morimoto ones don't work with our cars even though they're the "subaru" ones. Our cars need the "Type T" ones. It's funny because in compatible vehicles, it lists a bunch of Toyotas and at the very bottom is our car.

I have no idea. I was asking about the switch for someone else on the FB page. He was asking about the kit, but I directed him to install some Morimoto fogs and piece together the rest of the kit.

EDIT: Upstater, those morimoto ones don't work with our cars even though they're the "subaru" ones. Our cars need the "Type T" ones. It's funny because in compatible vehicles, it lists a bunch of Toyotas and at the very bottom is our car.

Fact...I found this out the hard way

I wouldn't buy the Subaru fog light kit to begin with, if I didn't have a Limited that came with HID and OEM glass lens fogs, I would get and install these (or at least as a substitute for the Subaru version, buy their harness and switch, and the Morimoto fog lights):

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/subaru-morimoto-xb-led.html

If you do a low beam HID retrofit, you don't even need fogs, the HID output is up to the task.

Are the fogs in that kit the base version (plastic lens) or the glass lens version?

The glass lens fogs don't even compare to the output of the LED projector replacements. Not to mention the beam pattern is even wider than my RX350 projectors. Like by a lot, so wide in fact that our fog surround trim actually limits it. Great for lighting up ditches and spotting critters at night. The only downside is that the lenses are plastic so Lamin-X or clear bra is a must.

Correct. Or from Diode Dynamics they're Type B lol.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/catalog/product/view/id/22211/s/luxeon-led-fog-lamps-type-b/category/1293/

• 8 months later...
Title should have read, "If you're cheap like me. ."

Better than being dumb and paying more than you have to for said parts :lol:

btw, if you live ANYWHERE were it is cold and you get a lot of snow LED lights are a big fat fail, they do not produce enough heat to keep your lamps clear like Xenon and Halogen do

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

• 3 weeks later...
Where can we get a kit for the fogs since I have a '15 Premium with no slot to put the bulbs in?!

Where? From any Subaru dealer. The necessary trim pieces are included. The wiring harnesses are already in place from the factory.

See: H451SAL000 - Legacy Fog Light Kit - Installation Guide

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
Wait I'm confused. I have a 2015 Leg Premium and I'm going to get the factory for surrounds and the morimoto fogs but what type do i get, type b/s/x/t???

Same exact situation here. I also have a '15 Legacy Premium. Can someone who has gone through this already post a link to the correct Morimoto lamps? Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Edit: If you want the Morimoto, you want the Type T for Toyota as it's the correct one for our generation. If you want the DiodeDynamics one, it's the Luxeon Type B. Edited by JRu17

I was able to piece together this kit and instead of using the factory lamps I went with the retrofitsource Morimoto Type T LED lamps. Everywhere I ordered from seemed to be having a sale as the LED fogs were about 145 and the other parts were about 37 coming to 182. 30 bucks more than the first post although with LEDs and having to local pick up the other parts from the dealership saved $15-20 in shipping. I'll be putting them in hopefully shortly after everything comes.

Will I need this adapter harness

https://www.diodedynamics.com/h16-male-to-h11-female-adapter.html

The glass lens fogs don't even compare to the output of the LED projector replacements. Not to mention the beam pattern is even wider than my RX350 projectors. Like by a lot, so wide in fact that our fog surround trim actually limits it. Great for lighting up ditches and spotting critters at night. The only downside is that the lenses are plastic so Lamin-X or clear bra is a must.

I saw people were saying the Lamin-X kit was too small so I ordered the ones for the BugEye and I'll trim em

I should have ordered them with the lights because they would have been cheaper but all in all everything came to a little under 200 if you want the lamin-x protector film

Edited by JRu17

• 2 weeks later...
So I ordered the Type T for Toyota and I'm holding the fog light up to the surround and the surround is much smaller than the fog light. Is this supposed to be like this? I noticed there are two Toyota ones, oval and round

I just put laminx on one side... due to the curvature of the lens, it's a serious pain in the ass to get the film on right. It wants to wrinkle and bubble, I spent about an hour of fitting and cutting and blow drying and it looks like shit but it'll protect the lens

Just put film on the other lens. Was able to do this one in about a half hour. Also looks like shit but as long as it protects the lens and doesnt mess with the output or make weird spots in the lights I dont care. I'll be installing them into the car today or tomorrow

• 1 year later...
So I finally get around to putting the fogs in and am realizing I bought the SRF steering responsive fog light switch and I need the Regular switch NOT the SRF. That's probably why it's so cheap, where can I find the regular switch, I'm only finding the SR one

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, so I bought the morimoto fogs back in 2019 and due to financial circumstances I finally got them installed. One works and one doesnt so I contacted theretrofitsource and two years later they still have great customer service! They're sending me a new light and he saw in the picture I sent I had a lamin-x film on the fog light so he threw in another one free of charge! I highly recommend these guys