LegacyGT.com

coolant leak...level low

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, its just a sniffer that they wave over the radiator with the engine running. Your helping to pay for the cost of the tester. The test takes a minute or so.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

a reputable shop for subies around here suggested that if it IS a headgasket issue but it is only subtle enough to make bubbles with NO other symptoms, it would probably still pass the HC sniffer test.

They suggest i try 2 new OEM radiator caps before going crazy

your thoughts?

I replaced both caps on my 05 in the Fall of 2012, just because they were that old. Less then $20 bucks...

The bubbles are HC, if they are present while the car is running the sniffer will pick up the HC. We use different sniffers here at work while testing for O2 and H2 leaks. They will pick up a very small amount.

Has the coolant system been properly burped ? Do you hear water flowing behind the dash board on start up ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I replaced both caps on my 05 in the Fall of 2012, just because they were that old. Less then $20 bucks...

The bubbles are HC, if they are present while the car is running the sniffer will pick up the HC. We use different sniffers here at work while testing for O2 and H2 leaks. They will pick up a very small amount.

Has the coolant system been properly burped ? Do you hear water flowing behind the dash board on start up ?

i do not hear water flowing behind the dash...what does that mean?

the coolant should have been properly burped by the dealer upon radiator replacement, but once i saw the bubbles in the overflow tank i burped it myself for a good hour. although i didn't jack up the right side of the car, i saw no more bubbles surfacing @ the coolant tank by the turbo after that hour so i stopped burping it.

i still see bubbles at idle, at operating temp... so i scheduled a HC sniffer test for next Wednesday at 12:30, i'll keep you guys posted. hopefully it isn't a headgasket issue. if it is, i have been quoted $2,500 from a dealer to fix it and he'll throw in timing belt/water pump while it's there. decent price?

Interesting new development...the bubbles are gone! I've checked yesterday and today, with the car at idle , at operating temp. Even after driving it around and stomping the gas, still no bubbles afterwards. Oil is a good color, coolant is still darker than normal but satisfactory, and coolant level doesn't fluctuate more than it should w/ engine temp. I'm not going to speak too soon and say its fine but I'll keep my eye on it for a while and if I still show zero symptoms by Wednesday I'll cancel the HC test

Raced a VW R32 from a stop all the way to about 90mph. Not the best idea i know but hey, they wanted to race! Checked coolant level after and it was far above full, not overflowing but a good 3-4 inches above full. Parked the car for the night And checked again in the morning, before starting the car...still far above full

Thank you all for the advice, especially MrTris. Sucks that only 2 months in I have to blow so much $$. On the bright side, my tax return will absorb most of the cost. I am going to start a new thread since I have some critical questions at this point, and this thread has deviated far from a simple coolant leak (hope that is ok moderators)

new thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/50k-orig-miles-and-head-gasket-issues-237210.html?p=5063779#post5063779

Archived