LegacyGT.com

coolant leak...level low

If they did indeed flush your system, that might be what it is. Can you strain it off the top and see if it comes back?

thank you for your reply. i don't have any kind of suction system but I'm sure i can MacGyver something together and try it out. i'll do this and get back to you

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some kinda net? Old pantyhose?

Get a clean bucket or separate container that will hold the contents of your overflow reservoir. Use your makeshift screen to filter the flow and catch all the gunk, then pour the clean stuff back. Analyze the gunk and report back here.

Popped the overflow tank off and ran the fluid through a strainer...found nothing in the strainer. Had the fluid from the car in a clean clear glass and compared to new coolant from the jug in a clear glass, only difference was the coolant from my car was darker blue and not as see through.

However, earlier I peeked into my overflow tank while car was idling (@ full operating temp) and saw BUBBLES....scary. they were occasional bubbles, just a few every 20 seconds

Should I be concerned with HG issues? No temp spikes, no white clouds from exhaust, no exhaust smell in overflow tank. Maybe they just didn't burp the air out all the way?

Yeah, for now, it's safe to assume it hasn't been fully burped. If your coolant level rises rapidly in the reservoir and coincides with overheating, then yes, it's time to consider HG work.

So if coolant level rises rapidly as car goes from cold to operating temp?

I had a radiator go in my car a few years ago. Thankfully I got the aftermarket warranty and it was covered at the dealer. One giant crack developed on the top plastic tank. I ended on a hilly side of the parking lot for shade and the coolant finally ran to where I could see it leak.

So if coolant level rises rapidly as car goes from cold to operating temp?

As coolant heats, it expands, that's why the reservoir is there. The level changes as the load changes. If the reservoir overflows, then freak out. Until then, relax and drive your car.

As coolant heats, it expands, that's why the reservoir is there. The level changes as the load changes. If the reservoir overflows, then freak out. Until then, relax and drive your car.

Shouldn't I go back to the dealer and have them burp the car properly?

just verifying this is still the best way to do this:

"Originally Posted by rao View Post

Here i s how to avoid the problem next time:

1. Fill the radiator to the top and put on the round cap. Once it has been filled DO NOT OPEN THAT CAP AGAIN.

2. Fill the overflow up to the MIN mark.

3. Fill the tank by the turbo and leave the cap OFF.

4. Start the car, heat on max, AC off (so the fan stays off) let it IDLE until the fans turn on, which means that the thermostat is open.

5. Add coolant to top off the tank by the turbo then put the cap on and you are DONE

6. Keep an eye on the tank by the turbo for the next few days and add coolant i f necessary.

7. Also keep an eye on the over flow tank when the engine is cold and add coolant if it is below the MIN line

This works every time and is easy."

I jack up the right front corner when doing that.

You may squeeze the hoses too.

Carry a gallon of coolant with you for a few day's.

When the car cools off, check the level in the overflow tank and the radiator after its cooled.

Report back.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Followed the instructions carefully and ran the vehicle for about an hour by the time I was done. Just to be safe I checked the coolant color in the tank next to the turbo and the radiator, both were a satisfactory blue. No gunk on either cap or near the top of either tank. A few tiny bubbles came out at first, then many when I squeezed the big main hose coming out of the radiator. Every time I squeezed the main hose I saw lots of bubbles, after a while the only bubbles coming out were from squeezing that hose. Drove the car for a bit (smoking heavily from spilled coolant lol) and checked the overflow tank while idling at operating temp and still have bubbles. Shall I try again?

In your shoes, the next step for me would be to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant. I'm not gonna pretend like I know a lot about doing this test, but I would call around and see if you can find a shop who can do this for you and how much it cost since I have no idea. That should help figure out if the bubbles are combustion chamber gases passing into the coolant past a bad head gasket, or if it's air still in the system from the coolant flush.

I jack up the right front corner when doing that.

You may squeeze the hoses too.

Carry a gallon of coolant with you for a few day's.

When the car cools off, check the level in the overflow tank and the radiator after its cooled.

Report back.

Passenger side?

In your shoes, the next step for me would be to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant. I'm not gonna pretend like I know a lot about doing this test, but I would call around and see if you can find a shop who can do this for you and how much it cost since I have no idea. That should help figure out if the bubbles are combustion chamber gases passing into the coolant past a bad head gasket, or if it's air still in the system from the coolant flush.

I'll try and see how much $$ that will run around here

Speaking with a local lgt owner here he says if I just had my radiator replaced it can take weeks for all the air to purge out, especially given the 30 degree daily temp fluctuations we've had here in CO...your thoughts?

dealer said the same thing...don't really trust them but i'm going to give it 1-2 weeks, and if i still see bubbles after.... i will go for hydrocarbon testing

coolant level in all 3 tanks is constant since doing the burping 2 days ago, i've driven 70-100 miles since then

still no additional HG symptoms other than bubbles

Sounds like you might have all the air out.

Good Luck, Keep checking.

i am still seeing bubbles, but i'm going to let it fizzle out over the next 2 weeks before spending a fortune on hyrdocarbon testing for HG problems

Archived