LegacyGT.com

Most Reliable Turbo

Yes. I think the JmP 16g with supporting mods will do 340whp.

This guy here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2007-lgt-b-mild-wild-248876.html?t=248876

...did 356whp/393wtq on a "IHI VF52 Big 16G by Socal Porting."

I had my own BNR 16g originally PnP'ed by SoCal porting. It has now gone to JmP for a more aggressive CHRA with billet bits instead of cast bits (also 11-blade). If that's not similar to a "VF52 Big 16G" I'm not sure what is.

That guy is basically running stock headers also. Make me a bit scared to see what my car might finally do with KillerB ELHs :eek: I'll probably end up going to IAG for the tune as well now that Cryo is out of the game. That or Mike @ TA.

I don't know man, that'd have to be a pretty generous correction factor. I think the guy in the link you posted is using 93, and is a great deal lower in elevation.

If he is in colorado like me, I only made 275 whp on 91 with an 18g; granted it was using a dyno that generally reads about 10-15% lower than dynojets in the area, thatd still be a stretch for a 16g even with e85. The air is so crazy thin up here I rarely over boost and I'm catless. Just don't want him to be disappointed if he doesn't see those numbers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bottom line, answer to this thread is NOT BNR. Pretty much anycompany that uses Chinese housings to build these custom turbo's, are absolute crap with zero quality control as well as "fudging" things to make incorrectly bent wastegate arms work (not properly, just work). Stay away!!!

• 11 months later...
Hmm. Did BNR go down in quality? I've run my BNR16g (one of the first) for ~65k miles now, without any issues.. Now I see two comments (albeit a little older) that BNR is to be avoided?

Did you know that BW, Honeywell and Holset all have their housings made in the same plant in Wuxi? Did you know they make many of the aftermarket housings also? The issues with housings is mostly in design, not quality of casting or machining. And, the housings have nothing to do with the guts. I hate Chinese ebay turbos as much as anyone else, but it's the guts that fail. Note several top aftermarket brands have also sold hideous turbine housings.

I do prefer the older BNR LGT-fitment turbos because they use that IHI P18 housing. That has a throat of around 7.5cm2, which IMO is a really good compromise for a street driven car. The MHI clones in the market now either offer the too-small 7cm2 housings that have good geometry and the too-large 8cm2 ones that don't. The 7cm2 housings are usually copied from original MHI parts. MHI never offered an 8cm2 TD05 housing so at best they are copies of old HKS items and at worst just some attempt at scaling up a 7cm2 design from a company that probably doesn't even have a flow bench, let alone a test rig for hot gas.

Say what you will about what Bryan is putting into his turbos, but he is a real stand-up guy when you have problems. Absolutely first-tier customer service. You don't hear me say that about many people.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yeah i have had zero issues with my bnr tdo6 20g

Only clocked about 8 k

And most of that has been wategate pressure only

When i did turn the boost up

It was gnarly

Blew my headgaskets and now im about to start my first rebuild/piston install

If i do go another route turbo wise

Id prob grab a ceramic bb blouch

As far as reliability , that seems to have been covered above

By jmp, far, max and tris

These guys def kno whats up

Im sure youll make a wise decision