LegacyGT.com

how to get best trade in value when ordering Subaru

LEG

So my Legacy 3.6 is almost here. When I ordered it, they wouldn't give me a hard price on my trade until the new car arrived and I was ready to turn in my car. I feel like they are going to screw me on my trade since I already signed to order the new car. They gave me a ballpark of 9k, when every only value shows 10-12.

How do you get the best value on your trade in when you order comes in and you have already signed the purchase and put in the deposit? Can you walk away if they aren't willing to give you good value on your trade?? What have you guys done?

Thanks

Clean the car so the dealer can see they don't have to invest much in the car before they can put it on their lot.

Take it to somewhere like Carmax to get a written offer that you can use for bargaining.

Ask your friends & family if they would like to buy it off you. The last time I was lowballed on a trade, I sold the car to my nephew.

I recently bought a VW for my wife. I filled out the dealer online trade evaluation and it came back as 5k trade in. I knew NADA showed 5900 as a trade in and Craigslist had a bunch of the same model advertised for 7-9k. I went to the dealer with her Toyota all cleaned and they came up with a bs excuse why they could only give me 4k. (They even agreed it was in excellent shaped for the year.). I bought vw and passed on the trade, I was going to take 5k just to not have the hassle. I put is on Craigslist and the first person who saw it gave us 6500.

Anyways if your Altima is in good shape (and not an excessive amount of miles) and you think you can get more from a private sale, it might be worth it.

Archived