LegacyGT.com

2.5 block with 2.2 sohc heads?

EJ251 heads/EJ25D V2 block - 9.3:1 w/EJ25D head gaskets, but I just did the math with your head gaskets and the end number came out to 10.2:1, so you gained a pinch over EJ251 power. However, the EJ25D pistons come up over the deck around 0.3mm or so, so using the 0.6mm head gaskets for the STi as you are doing now provides a risk of piston kiss. Also, the 97-99 25D heads are 46.6cc, not 46.2.

EJ251 heads/EJ25D V2 block - 9.3:1 w/EJ25D head gaskets, but I just did the math with your head gaskets and the end number came out to 10.2:1, so you gained a pinch over EJ251 power. However, the EJ25D pistons come up over the deck around 0.3mm or so, so using the 0.6mm head gaskets for the STi as you are doing now provides a risk of piston kiss. Also, the 97-99 25D heads are 46.6cc, not 46.2.

I did the main bearings hoping to not have piston kiss. Engine had been overheated as well. I'm also running the phase II injectors, dunno if that matters. Don't actually know the difference between the two.

edit: First time I did head gaskets on the EJ25D, I used a FelPro gasket that was a little thinner, not knowing much about piston slap, and I think I got piston slap bad enough that it broke a piston. Only lasted 150 miles. Still haven't taken that engine apart though. I went with Beck Arnley the 2nd time, with the Phase II heads, and have put thousands of miles on that one.

edit2: I looked up the Beck Arnley gaskets and they're 0.062", not .6mm. 1.58mm. So I probably did lose a little over the Phase I EJ25D from that.

Yeah, your compression ratio is 8.74:1 with those head gaskets, so that engine is pretty much begging for boost at this point. Also, if you went the route of '96 EJ25D head swap and used the IM to go with them, you'd have retained the ability to use either the 420A coil or the MSD 8239 to open up for plasma discharge (MSD DIS-2), but your setup seems engineered to be easily reversible back to the old style if you wanted to do that.

EJ251 injectors should be the same CC output as the EJ25D: 280.

Really

Does the wiring and ecu match up to the ej25d head manifold wire connections??

What engines were the ej25d heads from?? Are they the DOHC heads??

Cheers

Any EJ25D will run any EJ22E or EJ22T, and any EJ22E/EJ22T computer will run any EJ25D. The EJ25D heads are indeed DOHC.

Yeah, your compression ratio is 8.74:1 with those head gaskets, so that engine is pretty much begging for boost at this point. Also, if you went the route of '96 EJ25D head swap and used the IM to go with them, you'd have retained the ability to use either the 420A coil or the MSD 8239 to open up for plasma discharge (MSD DIS-2), but your setup seems engineered to be easily reversible back to the old style if you wanted to do that.

EJ251 injectors should be the same CC output as the EJ25D: 280.

Well that's interesting then :) If I were keeping the car I'd seriously considering it, as I have a Garrett turbo sitting around doing nothing. Sadly, I'd rather work on my 86 BMW 325 :cool: Maybe if I can sell the car to an enthusiast he/she can have a good time with it.

Archived