LegacyGT.com

Dyno results from STI intake swap and DB 20g install

mycotopian

yeah, I know. but I thought the STi TMIC is a squeeze (you have to trim the hood scoop splitter and all), and it seemd doubtful that some of the STi's other/bigger TMICs would fit at all. anyway, this is good news. anyone know a handy place to compare the spearco unit with the STi's?
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

yeah, I know. but I thought the STi TMIC is a squeeze (you have to trim the hood scoop splitter and all), and it seemd doubtful that some of the STi's other/bigger TMICs would fit at all. anyway, this is good news. anyone know a handy place to compare the spearco unit with the STi's?

I don't know if theres any trimming needed. But I know the spearco is on the thicker side, like close to 4 1/2 inches.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I would definitely like to see some pictures of the Spearco installed. Even with the Version 7 STi TMIC (bigger than the USDM STi TMIC) it hits the A/C line and the bracket for the tranny mount(dog bone). I also had to cut most of the splitter off in order for it not to hit.

-Matt

One question answered: the Spearco STI TMIC fits under the Legacy hood. Excellent! Harman just tuned an STI w/ SZ49 and that TMIC to ~380 w/91 and over 400 w/ alky injection...

One question left... Fuel mods? I'm assuming fuel pump and injectors to support those #'s?

Nice work. Not to poo poo on the raw numbers, but from what I've seen, the dyno at XS is one of the highest reading dynos around, much higher than the one at Harman Motive. If I'm reading it right, the baseline run was 235.4hp/ 266.9tq. It notes Blitz, which I'm assuming is an intake or something of the sort. If those numbers were achieved without any sort of a tune, that is hugely out of line for the baseline numbers.

Mytocopian, if I'm mistaken, I apologize. Let us know what your setup was for the baseline run. Regardless, those are still some solid gains for the mods.

One question answered: the Spearco STI TMIC fits under the Legacy hood. Excellent! Harman just tuned an STI w/ SZ49 and that TMIC to ~380 w/91 and over 400 w/ alky injection...

The 380 run was actually on 100 octane. I've been following the thread on NASIOC. The 400+ run was with alky in addition to the 100 octane. Still impressive nonetheless.

is that a custom spearco?

It is an Easy Street IC that uses a Spearco Core. I had my fabricator do some custom mounts for it. I also completely removed the stock splitter and misc other hood junk to make room for this.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/mycotopian/EngineCompartment.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/mycotopian/CustomTMICScoop.jpg

If I'm reading it right, the baseline run was 235.4hp/ 266.9tq. It notes Blitz, which I'm assuming is an intake or something of the sort. If those numbers were achieved without any sort of a tune, that is hugely out of line for the baseline

I am not sure how accurate that baseline is . When I took the car to XS all of the mods were done already so they had to flash a stock map and tweak it to even get it to run.

Just as an FYI, I found a dyno graph for a stock Saabaru 9-2x at XS Engineering:

http://europeancarweb.com/projectcars/0506ec_proj92x12_z.jpg

201 hp for what is basically a stock WRX is pretty high. 200+ hp is what most LGT's dyno at Harman Motive. I believe that most WRX's pull around 170-175 on the HM dyno. That should provide some "calibration" to the raw numbers.

OK, I see he added the injectors and fuel pump to the mods list...thanks!

The 380 run was actually on 100 octane. I've been following the thread on NASIOC. The 400+ run was with alky in addition to the 100 octane. Still impressive nonetheless.

You may be right about the 400+ being 100oct. I did talk to the owner (of the STI) at HM, and it put down mid 370s on 91. The other dyno posted was ~390, and that was the 100 run w/o alky...

More questions on the I/C - was it off the shelf except for mounting tabs and the 'snorkel', or was it a total custom job? If it was off the shelf, which fitment: WRX, STI, or Forester?

Just as an FYI, I found a dyno graph for a stock Saabaru 9-2x at XS Engineering:

201 hp for what is basically a stock WRX is pretty high. 200+ hp is what most LGT's dyno at Harman Motive. I believe that most WRX's pull around 170-175 on the HM dyno. That should provide some "calibration" to the raw numbers.

Or could it be that Eric is just the best tuner in OC??? :rolleyes:

Or could it be that Eric is just the best tuner in OC??? :rolleyes:

Actually the graph I posted would suggest otherwise. He has nothing to do with a STOCK WRX/9-2X putting down 201 hp. In fact, the second run on the graph with just a tune (basically Cobb Stage 1) only netted 15 hp/4(!) tq. While Cobb gets 25hp/29tq:

http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/images%5Cae-stage1-dyno.jpg

Sad part is that it was a custom tune, which should have been able to easily outdo the off-the-shelf Cobb map. Also in reading the article, the tune cost $1295 (double ouch!)

Really though, the only reason I posted the 9-2x dyno, was to put in perspective the numbers from Mycotopian with those generated on other dynos by similar cars. You just can't compare the raw numbers from one dyno to the next.

OK, I see he added the injectors and fuel pump to the mods list...thanks!

You may be right about the 400+ being 100oct. I did talk to the owner (of the STI) at HM, and it put down mid 370s on 91. The other dyno posted was ~390, and that was the 100 run w/o alky...

I think you might be confusing 2 different cars that HM tuned. There is one SZ55 car that was tuned only on 91 octane. It made around 375hp. The other car with a slightly smaller SZ49 turbo was tuned only on 100 octane. Without alky injection it made 390hp, with alky it made just under 420hp.

Here's what Dan said on NASIOC:

"It's an 05 STI.

AutoX.drf is 100 octane (1.6kpa), 100_Alky_Drag.drf is 100 octane + alky (1.9kpa)."

Actually the graph I posted would suggest otherwise. He has nothing to do with a STOCK WRX/9-2X putting down 201 hp. In fact, the second run on the graph with just a tune (basically Cobb Stage 1) only netted 15 hp/4(!) tq. While Cobb gets 25hp/29tq:

Sad part is that it was a custom tune, which should have been able to easily outdo the off-the-shelf Cobb map. Also in reading the article, the tune cost $1295 (double ouch!)

Really though, the only reason I posted the 9-2x dyno, was to put in perspective the numbers from Mycotopian with those generated on other dynos by similar cars. You just can't compare the raw numbers from one dyno to the next.

Well I have a few loose ends to tie up. Gauges, short shifter etc. Once it's buttoned up maybe Harman will host a dyno day and we'll get some answers.

Harman are you up for it?

I think you might be confusing 2 different cars that HM tuned. There is one SZ55 car that was tuned only on 91 octane. It made around 375hp. The other car with a slightly smaller SZ49 turbo was tuned only on 100 octane. Without alky injection it made 390hp, with alky it made just under 420hp.

Here's what Dan said on NASIOC:

"It's an 05 STI.

AutoX.drf is 100 octane (1.6kpa), 100_Alky_Drag.drf is 100 octane + alky (1.9kpa)."

STiLLWILL's car (IWSTi)

375whp/383wtq on pump 91

Protuned SZ55 with FMIC.

He actually drove 4 hours each way to do it...

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Archived