LegacyGT.com

Replacing LGT w/ F150 EcoBoost or WRX or Another LGT

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a huge fan of the 1/4 ton trucks. If anything I'd lean towards a Tacoma. They seem to be bulletproof. I guess I need to see what the inside of a crew cab 1/4 ton truck feels like but I imagine they feel considerably smaller compared to the 1/2 ton trucks.

I've seen several around (haven't driven one yet) but they look a mite bit bigger than the Tacoma. Kind of a 3/4-size pickup.

Although, if the redesigned Tac comes out before I'm ready to buy, I'll definitely look at it as well.

I've got a 2012 F150 with the 5.0 for work. Currently it's averaging 16.4 mpg combined but it'll jump up to 17 in the summer. The 5.0 has plenty of balls.

If you plan on doing a lot of towing or hauling with the EB, many owners report getting gas mileage below the ratings...more specifically below what 5.0 owners report.

I'd go with the 5.0 just because it's tried and true, whereas the 3.5EB has some issues. The 5.0 sounds badass too.

OP- are you looking at full-size trucks only?

I've been checking out the new Canyon/Colorado to replace my specB in the next year or two and they look like a good way to go (for me anyway...)

I test drove one at the local new car auto show and was really quite impressed with it. The V6 is rated to tow over 7000lbs and gets better MPG than any full size truck at about $15-20k less. I've thought about one to replace my spec.B also and as a tow vehicle for my Miata.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I see a lot of similarities between the new Titan and the F150 and Tundra, just uglier. I don't think that would make my short list.

Jesus that thing is exactly what you said. An ugly f150 front end and tundra side/rear. The 5.0 v8 cummins does sound interesting. But IMO none of the truck manufactures have given me a reason to switch to diesel. Gas is just so much easier to deal with for the average consumer and right now it is quite a bit cheaper to boot which basically throws the gas mileage argument out the window. Cheaper to own and maintain. Less headaches and when the wind chill gets down to -50 I know my gassers will have no issues. Even though modern diesels do better in this temp as well. Unless you tow and tow often I see no benefit.... other than hearing a turbo spool.

I was just down in FL for the weekend and was amazed how many F250/2500, F350/3500 diesel trucks were down there. 1/3 of them had dualies, 1/3 were jacked up w/ swapers, and 1/2 of them had stacks.

I saw maybe 3 WRX's in 4 days.

WI has quite a few of those trucks driving around as well. Probably 50% of them never go offroad or tow/haul anything. They just like to drive jacked up trucks and listen to their turbo spool and dump fuel into the engine to make smoke clouds. Which means they get 8mpg while doing 0 things a truck is supposed to be used for. They are known as douchebags.

I see the new Titan as a possible good option in the very used pre-owned market. Just look at which trucks are priced lower than the rest in the 80k miles category and it's usually the Nissan and the Ram.

Rams seem to be the cheapest to begin with as well. I see the express for 27k brand new all the time. The express has 4x4 the 5.7 liter, the mid size back doors with the 6.5 ft bed and the tow package. I usually don't see 4 door fords, tundras or GMs for that price with the mid level engine.

Some of the newer Hemis have been developing a loud ticking at 50-60k+ miles. Dodge dealers seem to be stating that it isn't a really issue just an annoying noise. I have heard it first hand on two trucks now, a 2010 and 2012... sounds like shit. They had a few with rear end issues... think they did a recall on it. I just hope dodge fixed their rust problems. 8 out of 10 rams around here that are 7+ years old seem to have huge rust spots on the bed above the rear tires.

Some of the newer Hemis have been developing a loud ticking at 50-60k+ miles. Dodge dealers seem to be stating that it isn't a really issue just an annoying noise. I have heard it first hand on two trucks now, a 2010 and 2012... sounds like shit. They had a few with rear end issues... think they did a recall on it. I just hope dodge fixed their rust problems. 8 out of 10 rams around here that are 7+ years old seem to have huge rust spots on the bed above the rear tires.

Are you sure it's not 4 out of 5?

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Lol I see a lot of rams with rusted through beds around here. We get snow and use salt so that doesn't help and you do see it on other trucks as well but no where near as common as it seems to be on dodges. All of them seem to get it on the rockers.

My SIL bought a fully-loaded $55K, 2014 FX4 F150 EcoBoost which I drove several times during our trip out to SoCal.

Pluses: Nicely appointed, heated/AC'd seats, infotainment system was well-balanced, the 4 full-sized doors were nice, and once on the boil, it accelerated nicely. Ride was pretty cushy, IMO, for a 4x4 truck, but you still knew it was a truck.

Cons: 12mpg around town and 16mpg on the highway, never felt like the torque was there, and if it were required, you'd be pretty much into the floorboard to get to it. I can only imagine what towing with it would be like in terms of off-the-line performance and fuel economy. Quad cab means short rear bed ~6.5', which isn't a "truck bed" IMO.

By comparison, the 2003 Dodge 5.9L 24V Cummins Quad-Cab LB truck that we made the trip with was averaging 18mpg in town and easily 24mpg unloaded. We towed ~5500 lbs of dual axle 7x14 cargo trailer back to SoCar and our average mpg on the return trip was still 19mpg on a drivetrain that had 164K on it. The off-the-line torque was amazing and even the SIL commented several times how much easier it was to get it moving than his FX4. And the 8' bed, even behind the full quad cab, was really nice when it came time to load building materials and haul it back to their house. He didn't want to "mess-up" the bed in his truck, and we would have had to make two trips to haul everything. The Dodge took it all in stride in one load. I'm confident that the Dodge would have pulled the ass-end off the Ford every day of the week and twice on Sunday, likely even if the Ford were in 4WD.

Bottom line, I'd save my funds on a new(er) anything and find a good used Dodge Cummins Diesel truck, that's been taken care of and not been modded to death. Some really good deals on CL for these, and 200K mileage on these is nothing, especially if they've been well maintained.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

200k is nothing for the engine. That doesn't mean the rest of the truck won't need parts.

6.5 is the standard for truck beds so yes it really is a "truck bed" He either had the 5.8ft bed because he has the crew cab or he had the Super Crew Cab option which is the crew cab and 6.5ft bed in the f150, which tehy just started offering. It used to be if you want a crew cab and 6.5-8ft bed you had to buy a 250/2500 or bigger.

I have said a few times buying a diesel is a waste of money unless you tow/haul often. They are no faster than a v8 gasser, slower than some actually in stock form. Cost more to buy, own and maintain. At the moment with gas vs diesel prices they don't save you anything at the pump. Also if you buy a truck based on gas mileage you are buying the wrong vehicle.

Archived