LegacyGT.com

Replacing LGT w/ F150 EcoBoost or WRX or Another LGT

Ladies and Gents,

Back in August my 05 LGT was laid to rest by a tractor trailer truck. click here to see part my out thread. :). When the LGT got nailed it was loaded to the gills with camping gear, I immediately went and rented a 2014 F150 XLT Ecoboost Super Crew Cab truck to haul all our stuff up to the camp. Insurance was paying for my 3 week test drive, and it was nice, very nice having a truck :wub:. For the past 3 months I've puttering around in my 2000 Toyota Celica GT that that was primarily used as an Auto-X car for the past 6 years. Winter just getting started and I'm really missing the Subaru, but I also find myself combing the internet for 4x4 EcoBoost trucks.

Here's my options:

1) Save money, suck it up & drive the Celica until it shits the bed or hits a deep enough pot hole to damage a vertebrae

2) Take insurance and part out money and buy a '08 or '09 LGT w/ moderate to low mileage

3) Dip into the piggy bank and and buy a 2011 or newer unmolested WRX

4) Finance up to $35k for a low millage '11-'14 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Super Crew w/ all the fixings.

01.jpg.b0bab305837d14335b273deabe40fe0b.jpg

18.jpg.87138380e3baae395c9cc1ae5ab147a6.jpg

1909981_503057022950_7177_n.jpg.a6ccaad8932c7ff2b33de291aea04543.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went from a 2005 LGT to a 2007 Toyota Tundra back in 2007. I will never willingly be without a truck again. They are too useful.

You can always add a fun to drive car later, but you know and I know that having a truck is pretty much mandatory once you've had one. Keep it maintained, and you'll have it for a long long time.

If I could afford a truck right now, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I've owned an 01 Celica GTS. Owned an LGT both wagon and sedan. Owned a ton of other cars and the one I miss the most is my 04 Ford F150.

If money is tight, why not look at the 5.0 v8? It's probably a more reliable engine than the EcoBoost and has very similar power with the added rumble sound of the 5.0L. FX4's look nice, but again, if money is tight look at other options.

I think my next truck will be a Tundra though. Can't beat Toyota reliability.

As long as they fixed their frame issues. I know they had massive frame recalls. My buddies truck had almost 150k and it and is getting a new frame. They are going to have his truck for 2 months. I like the tundra but I have seen and been in dozens of Dodge, Ford and GM trucks that have 150k+ on the drivetrain. They all seem reliable with each having their own little issues. Like dodge/fords transmissions for certain time period, or GM/Fords rear ends for a certain time period or Toyotas frame issues for a certain time period.

What was the frame issue? What year Tundras? I know the suspension in the rear end wasn't as good as the F150's, but haven't heard anything about the frame.

I wanna say the frame recalls were on tundras up to 05 or 06. I think my friends was a 03/04. I have heard about some smaller issues with them and the new gens as well. But they were small for the most part like interior squeaks and rattles. I know toyota extended their warranty on the air injection pumps as those were going out like hotcakes even on the latest gen before the new 2014 body style. My firend who has a 09 got a card from Toyota telling him about the extension. So they seem to be good at eventually doing something about common issues.

I have been researching new vehicles as it is about time for me to buy something. I have been looking at trucks mainly but I also have the Suburban/Yukon on my radar as we have 2 kids with a 3rd on the way. But I love having a bed and theoretically I can fit 3 kids in the back seat of a truck.... so I am torn.

I wasn't expecting the overwhelmingly truck biased opinion so far, interesting. I do like the utility that trucks provide. With home ownership also on the horizon part of me feels like a truck is almost a necessity.

I landed on the F150 Eco b/c I like the fuel economy it gets compared to the 5.0L V8, yet it still has balls. I was very impressed by it while I had the rental. I probably wouldn't do much heavy duty towing so the MPG are more important to me. I haven't necessarily ruled out the Tundra yet, but the FX4 interior trim line of the Ford's really trumps the SR5.

I've been trolling on the EcoBoost forums lately and there are some things I've found that make me hesitate.

1) Intercooler issues have plagued the EcoBoost. Back in 2011 they were noticing that condensation was building up in the intercooler and causing hesitation/misfiring under throttle pressure. Ford kicked around a number of TSB's to remedy the issue and I get the sense that the forum community believe Ford still doesn't know how to properly fix the issue properly.

2) Ford issued another TSB for similar hesitation/misfiring which changes the specified spark plugs. Forum members also say the EcoBoost needs new plugs way more regularly than most cars/trucks.

3) Timing chain issues are now cropping up. Again, another Ford TSB for diagnosing "stretched" timing chains in the EcoBoost. This seems like a scary one, like if your timing chain jumps a sprocket that could mean big time engine problems.

Now, I haven't researched 5.0L engine issues, so there may be just as many. I also know that Ford sells thousands upon thousands of these trucks, and the majority of them may be perfectly fine, but with the internet everyone has a voice which may be making the issue seem larger. Who knows, just makes me stop and think... Heck, everyone on here know the EJ255 has it's own set of engine quirks (VF40 reliability, banjo bolts, ring lands, etc.)

I wouldn't say I'm totally against Dodge, Chevy/GMC, but those trucks just don't give me the warm and fuzzies even though I'm sure they have a loyal following of owners.

As for the newer WRX option. I do like that it would be essentially the same platform I'm used to with the LGT. I also think they hold their value better than a truck would. I say the MPG is close to a wash considering with my LGT I would only get 20-21 MPG and it drinks premium gas (EcoBoost does not).

FWIW, I work next to a Toyota dealership, and it seems like every time I drive by I see two or three sets of frame rails for what look like a truck outside, now I know why I guess...

I have been researching new vehicles as it is about time for me to buy something. I have been looking at trucks mainly but I also have the Suburban/Yukon on my radar as we have 2 kids with a 3rd on the way. But I love having a bed and theoretically I can fit 3 kids in the back seat of a truck.... so I am torn.

I fit three kids across in my F150 no problem. One in rear facing, one in front facing and last in a booster.

I bought some tires from a previous LGT owner today, and he's now driving a new Explorer EcoBoost.

I said I was a big fan of the styling and asked how he liked it. He said it was ok, but it had early issues (power steering?) and he didn't seem that crazy about it. Also said he was tempted to get it tuned (coming from a stg3 automatic LGT).

Plus there is also the 2015 F-150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost to consider.

If I were in the market for a new truck (I'm not and I'll get to that in a minute), I'd look at all of the current trucks on the market and pick the one I liked best. In the 1/2 ton world my short list would include:

1.) New F-150 with either of the EcoBoost V6's.

2.) Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

3.) Chevrolet Silverado with the 6.2L V8.

4.) Nissan Titan 5.0L Cummins V8 once it is released.

Thankfully I am not in the market for a new truck, and even though there are newer fancier, more powerful, more capable trucks on the market than my now almost 8 year old truck I still don't feel the need to upgrade. That's the nice thing about a truck for me, I'm a car guy at heart and where cars are concerned I used to like to upgrade with some frequency for the latest greatest car that I could afford. Not so with the truck. It's a solid reliable tool, and until it becomes unreliable for some reason I see no need to replace it.

Depends on the vehicle. Trucks are pretty heavily discounted.

For example I can get a loaded up Silverado with the good motor, and all the options I care about for $47,288 normal MSRP is $52,715. While it is possible to get a better deal than that if you are willing to do a lot of work negotiating, it's an easy option for me.

I seem to recall similar discounts on Ford trucks.

Maybe i still have the modification addiction, but i like the idea of a boosted truck. My buddy has a supercharged Harley Davidson, the thing is a beast. Maybe I should be looking at turbo diesel's...

The ecoboost is a cool engine. When working properly I can tell you they feel great. They will never match the trq of a slightly modded lighting or harley davidson edition supercharged truck. Those things with a small pulley and tune can crank out 490wtrq. That makes them "feel" pretty awesome. Diesel is not cheap.... in any way. Plus it costs 1 dollar more per gallon right now. You can forget those people who say you get better mpg because you really don't. When you are hauling a heavy trailer long distances then yo uget better mpg but just driving around not so much. They cost more to buy and more to own. Unless you pull 10,000+lbs trailers regularly there is no need for a diesel... at least not the big diesels. Maybe that dodge.

I fit three kids across in my F150 no problem. One in rear facing, one in front facing and last in a booster.

Yes you can. The issue for me though is a 3rd row going to make my life easier? We are basically at the limit my truck can handle with 5 people when we all ride together.

No. You'll use a truck bed a lot more than drive other people around? How old are the kids? It helps that my 7 year old can climb in the back of our minivan himself and put on his own seat belt. Until then, he had to sit in the second row so that we can snap everyone in. Third row went unused.

7, 3 and a due date of June 27th.

I do use my truck bed a lot. No argument there. A lot of it could also be hauled in a Suburban's rear cargo area. Some of it thought like dead animals, dirt bike etc probably shouldn't be put in the back of a suburban. But they sell cargo racks in the hitch that can carry those things.

My latest idea is to keep my truck and let their mother get a vehicle with 3rd row.

Archived