LegacyGT.com

iON Performance Springs Group Buy #3

Mr. T

Just got back from my alignment.. :) I love these springs, LOVE!!! :D

When you pull off the front wheel, you will see 2 bolts on the strut. The top one is the cam adjustment and you simply want to mark where it is. A permanent marker will do just fine, make a line off the bolt onto the strut. Match that up when you re-assemble.

FYI, I had friends help me do this and I had a lift. So...... He did most of the work while I worked on end links and re-torqueing the exhaust on my car.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got back from my alignment.. :) I love these springs, LOVE!!! :D

When you pull off the front wheel, you will see 2 bolts on the strut. The top one is the cam adjustment and you simply want to mark where it is. A permanent marker will do just fine, make a line off the bolt onto the strut. Match that up when you re-assemble. - Thanks for that.

FYI, I had friends help me do this and I had a lift. So...... He did most of the work while I worked on end links and re-torqueing the exhaust on my car.

I need a friend like that.....

Thanks again for the info and the positive feedback on the springs. It is motivation for me to "git er done" :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Alert the media: I finally installed my iONS. Did it myself over a couple of evenings. Thanks to those who have posted the instructions and info on how to do it.

One word: Outstanding. :icon_bigg

Still a compliant ride but what a difference in the handling.

I did add a second set of top hats to the rear set and the car has a nice rake to it and does not look at all like it is to low in the back. Pics eventually (no digital camera) but I am very pleased with the look and the ride. :cool:

over certain little dips in the roadway it feels like the car is on a pogo stick.. it bounces up... these are the same roads i drive everyday to work... in no way am i trying to go out of my way to find problems... i feel like i have to drive like im on egg shells.... i think its probably more the factory struts........ i wonder if im hitting the bumpstops...

Got Torque ?

over certain little dips in the roadway it feels like the car is on a pogo stick.. it bounces up... these are the same roads i drive everyday to work... in no way am i trying to go out of my way to find problems... i feel like i have to drive like im on egg shells.... i think its probably more the factory struts........ i wonder if im hitting the bumpstops...

struts.

I think you would agree that it's a small trade off for the other handling improvements. I personally don't have the "pogo" effect. Are you actually leaving the ground? To me the iONs are a great improvement over the OEM floaty feeling.

i wonder if theres more wagon owners that feel this way... ion gives the wagons stiffer springs cause its a wagon... but some wagons are lighter than sedans.

i asked ion what the rate difference is between the wagons and sedans but they wont answer that question.

im not happy with mine

if im on a perfectly flat surface they feel fine..small bumps and such are ok..i can barely go 25mph over a section i used to do 35-40....

the front defintely feels worse.. over certain road terrain...

Got Torque ?

• 2 weeks later...
i rode in another members car yesterday with Tein stechs on the stock struts and it felt better than the Ions... I also rode in another members car last summer with Pinks on stock struts that felt better than the Ions... Just my .22 cents

Got Torque ?

I've had the Ions for several months now and while I did not notice the "pogo" effect for the first several months, I have noticed this recently (within the last several weeks AND before mudfoot mentioned this; in fact i was surprised to see some confirmation of what I have experienced of late). I was wondering as well if my shocks were worn...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

if im on a perfectly flat surface they feel fine..small bumps and such are ok..i can barely go 25mph over a section i used to do 35-40....

the front defintely feels worse.. over certain road terrain...

Count me in for the pogo effect.

I know I've gone back and forth on whether I'm happy with these springs. I 've had them for several months now and and I really wish I hadn't cheaped out (not that these are cheap!) and had instead gone with coil-overs.

I routinely have a cadillac-like bounce session over dips and humps in the road. Handling has improved, but I don't think I'm happy with the overall package. In general, I'd say this is more of a cosmetic upgrade than a performance enhancement. Still, this might be the best one can expect with the stock struts.

Count me in for the pogo effect.

I know I've gone back and forth on whether I'm happy with these springs. I 've had them for several months now and and I really wish I hadn't cheaped out (not that these are cheap!) and had instead gone with coil-overs.

I routinely have a cadillac-like bounce session over dips and humps in the road. Handling has improved, but I don't think I'm happy with the overall package. In general, I'd say this is more of a cosmetic upgrade than a performance enhancement. Still, this might be the best one can expect with the stock struts.

Best you can expect with the stock struts.

Get some Bilsteins in there and you will change your tune!

I for one liked the springs, it was a handling upgrade from the stock ones, but nowhere near complete. Now I can drive like a complete lunatic over bumps that would make many cars "pogo" and no problems at all, complete control!

Handling stock: 4 out of 10

Handling w/ IONS on stock struts 6 out of 10

Handling w/ IONs and RSB 7 out of 10

Handling w/ IONs, RSB, and Bilsteins 9 out of 10

Handling with all the above and chassis brassis 9.3 out of 10

Best you can expect with the stock struts.

Get some Bilsteins in there and you will change your tune!

I for one liked the springs, it was a handling upgrade from the stock ones, but nowhere near complete. Now I can drive like a complete lunatic over bumps that would make many cars "pogo" and no problems at all, complete control!

Handling stock: 4 out of 10

Handling w/ IONS on stock struts 6 out of 10

Handling w/ IONs and RSB 7 out of 10

Handling w/ IONs, RSB, and Bilsteins 9 out of 10

Handling with all the above and chassis brassis 9.3 out of 10

Where did you purchase the bilsteins? I though you were running the JDM Spec B struts? Did you replace those as well?

i believe he got them from Patagonian Gt.. you can buy new ones from racecompengineering for 1500 for a new set... or buy coilovers like me

This suspension is killing me!!! I was hoping another aftermarket (KYB's) company would come out with replacements. I haven't heard anything yet.

Where did you purchase the bilsteins? I though you were running the JDM Spec B struts? Did you replace those as well?

I got them from PGT. They are the JDM spec-B Bilsteins (Rev-A).

I think the rev-A are about as stiff as I would want, so I would imagine Rev-B, or C or even the USDM spec-B Bilsteins would be a great match for the ION springs, or many other aftermarket springs.

This suspension is killing me!!! I was hoping another aftermarket (KYB's) company would come out with replacements. I haven't heard anything yet.

I contacted KYB and they are coming out with the GR2 line for the LGT and not the AGX line. They could not give me a release date.

I contacted KYB and they are coming out with the GR2 line for the LGT and not the AGX line. They could not give me a release date.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully soon...Sorry for the dumb question but I am not familiar with GR2 line or the AGX line. What is the difference?

Archived