LegacyGT.com

iON Performance Springs Group Buy #3

Mr. T

I contacted KYB and they are coming out with the GR2 line for the LGT and not the AGX line. They could not give me a release date.

Hope they come out soon before my shocks go also! (certainly a cheaper option than upgrading to the KWs). The GR2 are non-adjustible but probably stiffer than the OEM shocks.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best you can expect with the stock struts.

Get some Bilsteins in there and you will change your tune!

I for one liked the springs, it was a handling upgrade from the stock ones, but nowhere near complete. Now I can drive like a complete lunatic over bumps that would make many cars "pogo" and no problems at all, complete control!

Handling stock: 4 out of 10

Handling w/ IONS on stock struts 6 out of 10

Handling w/ IONs and RSB 7 out of 10

Handling w/ IONs, RSB, and Bilsteins 9 out of 10

Handling with all the above and chassis brassis 9.3 out of 10

Soooo.... is the general consensus that the "pogo" effect felt with the Ions is a function of worn struts - not the springs ?

Makes sense from my perspective in that I did not notice the effect until running the Ions for several months. I'm now at 25K on the odometer.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Soooo.... is the general consensus that the "pogo" effect felt with the Ions is a function of worn struts - not the springs ?

Makes sense from my perspective in that I did not notice the effect until running the Ions for several months. I'm now at 25K on the odometer.

The IONs work with the stock struts, but they are on the soft side to properly control the springs. This just gets worse with strut age. It depends on how you drive as to if you will notice or not.

Just make sure you get stiffer dampers when the stock ones are worn enough that they require replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
Just make sure you get stiffer dampers when the stock ones are worn enough that they require replacement.

Would that they could! Right now, it's stock, Bilstein, or coilovers only. Has anyone gotten to the point where they have actually priced stock dampers from Subaru? Are they much less than the Bilsteins?

^^ Little Blue - Do you mean they will have soemthing out that is better than the ones they make already and are stock? Will they be an SPT part? What is your souce?

Thanks!

I haven't been following that closely, I just recall hearing that they were coming out with some dampers for our car. Maybe they have them out already, I don't know, sorry!

^^ Little Blue - Do you mean they will have soemthing out that is better than the ones they make already and are stock? Will they be an SPT part? What is your souce?

Thanks!

I've emailed KYB and they will be producing the GR2 line for the 2005-06 Legacy GT. They cost around $340 for both the front and rear for both the WRX and the 2000-2004 Legacy. I expect the prices to be similar and will buy as soon as they are available.

I've emailed KYB and they will be producing the GR2 line for the 2005-06 Legacy GT. They cost around $340 for both the front and rear for both the WRX and the 2000-2004 Legacy. I expect the prices to be similar and will buy as soon as they are available.

Told ya!

How many total miles on your stock struts and how many with your aftermarket (iON) springs?

I remember when I got my springs from Jack at ION I asked how they would impact the life of the stock struts. I believe he said it would only be 10% or so of the life lost. It all depends on how you drive and the roads you drive on. Someone with ION's driving on the highway all the time are going to have stock struts last longer vs. someone with stock springs/stock struts doing autocross and driving on twisty or rough roads.

Archived