LegacyGT.com

Dual to single mass problem / Help

TheMonaLisa

Replaced my OEM clutch set up with a Southbend stage 3 daily (FJK1001FW-SS-O) which includes a steel single mass flywheel and a TSK3 on my 2006.

The problem is that the clutch peddle is basically fully depressed before the the throw out bearing makes contact with the pressure plate. I believe this is cause the single mass is skinnier than the dual mass? Can someone please help me. I've searched but can not find the solution.

Sounds like your SB clutch was meant for the DMFW, which is quite a bit thicker.

How close to the floor are you before engagement/disengagement?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Got it working. Removed the master, slave, line and bench bled the system outside the car. For some reason that I don't understand, they both must be perfectly level to be manually bled successful. Read about that in a clutch line install DIY on NASIOC.

So there must have been air in my clutch hydraulics all these years and the slave being turned about during the clutch install must have allowed the air to enter a critical portion of the slave or reach the line... It doesn't exactly seem logical to me but that's the only explanation.

Note - my clutch peddle used to deflate when I parked on hills. Aka the top half of the peddle travel went dead but would regain normal feel after driving for a bit. Must have been a symptom of said air bubble reaching a specific point allowing it to compress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/30/b790a3acfe71ba48618ff79a5a2c48be.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/30/d8b9c5595ecb79558005f780e9a0778b.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/30/514c797a5c781504ce11a43ecfbe91e8.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/30/68c199473994d1fe3e30a4438e68c0e3.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/30/2265711c60baee8df03c1d5653c6498a.jpg

Glad it worked out for you. Presumed that you had already bled the system so my bad for not suggesting that.

And, that's quite the tranny dolly. :)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Took it for a drive today and it's all good. Pedal feel is very similar to stock with a tad more resistance. After parking on a hill it didn't want to go into gear at first on the cold start. Once it warmed up it was good to go. Whatever.

Has a little bit of chatter between 2k-3k which I'm hoping will go away as it breaks in. Revmatch downshifts are absolutely amazing. Also installed Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings today that I will post about with picts.

Wish I saw this thread earlier.

Had same issue with wrx, reinstalled thr clutch about 5 times, thinking it wasn't aligned right.

After about 4 hours of head scratching, I crack the bleeder and so after, it was all normal.

Had to be air in the line like you! Enjoy it now:)

Fluid will seek it's own level. If you raised it higher then the level in the master cylinder, air from the top of the MC will transfer up the hose.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...

hows everything with your Southbend clutch? I have about 1k miles on it and it feels like stock...with the smfw it does seem that i may have to adjust idle as it like to dip pretty fast...maybe its driver mod? glad you got everything squared away...doing a clutch on this car makes me not want to do it again lol

paired with the blast plates...its really great

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

To be perfectly honest I'm not loving it. It's very grabby. I don't have any engine dip but I find the smfy makes the engine quite rev happy. This paired with the organic friction material causes it to smell if I don't watch the RPMs in 1st and reverse. As much as pulling the trans sucks, I'm taking the clutch out again and having South Bend change the friction material to that of the endurance variant which should rid most all of the smell. Props to South Bend for having amazing customer service.

hows everything with your Southbend clutch? I have about 1k miles on it and it feels like stock...with the smfw it does seem that i may have to adjust idle as it like to dip pretty fast...maybe its driver mod? glad you got everything squared away...doing a clutch on this car makes me not want to do it again lol

paired with the blast plates...its really great

Do the blast plates really make a difference?

Effortless and super crisp shifts no doubt...definitely an increase in NVH...hope my 5 speed holds up for a bit...otherwise 6 speed it is...i beleive it does help...i hope it helps lol...

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I have Blast Plates too. 13,000 miles with them. LOVE them. I didn't find an increase in NVH. If you have a LWFW that will increase NVH.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived