LegacyGT.com

Strange clutch pedal feel

baconbits

06 LGT, 5mt, roughly 107k miles

I've got a ClutchMaters FX250 with their TOB, no TSK3, and an 06+ WRX SMFW installed by myself and some friends 12k miles ago.

I'm glad I didn't buy the TSK3 because my trans snot was smooth - could see some lines on it but I couldn't feel them with my finger nail. I greased it up and put the new TOB on.

Anyway, onto the issue. I was out Christmas shopping and running errands with my girlfriend yesterday, and towards the end, I noticed a strange sensation in the clutch pedal while the car was running. Now, I'll say I'd had made 15, 20, and then another 20 mile trip (all mixed city/highway) throughout the day previous to this sensation starting, which was odd. I had parked the car and it sat for 20 minutes while I was in a store and when I started it again is when I first noticed it.

When I was pushing the clutch in or letting it out, it felt like the pedal was stuttering. It wasn't smooth like the brake or gas pedals, but felt like a shudder. The car wasn't shuddering or anything, it was only felt in the clutch pedal. I immediately thought maybe something with the trans snout but couldn't figure out why that would start so abruptly - fine when I shut the car off, starts when I turn it on again - so then I started to think about other things.

Flywheel bolts loose? Pressure plate bolts loose? Did I mess up the flywheel pilot bearing when installing the trans? TOB issue? Clutch fork pivot ball needs grease? Per instructions, I put blue LocTite on the flywheel bolts, torqued to spec with a freshly calibrated torque wrench borrowed from work. Also per instructions, I put blue LocTite on the pressure plate bolts and torqued to spec with a smaller wrench, also freshly calibrated borrowed from work.

A coworker noted an issue on his 04 Legacy where he had a squeak letting the clutch out and found out the shaft that his fork pivot ball was on was loose. He said he ground down a 17mm long wrench and was able to fish it in there and tighten the pivot (I'm assuming into the trans) and said his noise and pedal feel was noticeably better or gone.

To make this more of a mystery, after driving 5 minutes, the strange feel was GONE and the pedal felt normal/perfect for the next 10 minutes of driving until I got home.

Thoughts anyone? :spin:

Welcome to the world of Subaru Legacy GT's... May be just a fluke.

Have you tried side stepping the clutch pedal, with the engine off, see how it feels.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Drove it today for about 40 miles. The feeling was back but more mild today. It almost feels like a spring is binding and then spinning, kind of like coilovers bind and spin on the perches. Is there a spring for the pedal itself or does the pedal return up via the pressure plate spring?

I haven't had a chance to check it out on the left at work. Is it possible to see the plate springs through the hole in the bottom by the flywheel gear?

The feeling is very intermittent.

There is also a randomly occurring squeak while letting the clutch out, ONLY in first gear from a dead stop. It only happens when the pedal is about halfway up (well, halfway through engagement) and only for a split second. And it happens randomly.

:spin:

I can't remember if you can see the PP from the bottom. If that plate can be removed, yes you should be able to look up there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived