LegacyGT.com

What Engine fits '05 Legacy Limited 2.5i?

I know this is a GT forum but I don't know where else to go.

My oil level got low faster than I predicted and now I have rod knock. I figured it would be best to just do an engine swap myself. The problem is I have no clue what engine I can fit in there. I see things advertising EGR valve/no valve and various models. I'm really trying to keep everything under 1500 and figured I'd do the headgasket before I put it in and swap over my timing belt setup I just did.

Any suggestions where to find the correct engine? I know mine is an EJ253 but just can't find anything that would make me confident in purchasing. Ebay has been my go to thus far. Also does anyone know a good engine swap tutorial for this car? I really want my car back!

Thank you!

The 05 is the odd year 253 as opposed to the 06-09 253. There is a thread on here where a owner tried to put together a older block and newer heads and had issues. If you dont mind the down time I would have your engine bored, honed and decked. Reassemble that and go about your way, as finding the 05 in a salvage yard at this point will mean buying a 10 year old engine in an unknown state which you will want to preform the same tear down and rebuild to ensure you get something that will last for many many miles.

Location etc?

Rebuilding is one option, but you can check online dealers for prices on short blocks. Subarupartsforyou for instance sells a reman sb for $1857. maybe you can get your local dealer to match or come close since they'd save you the shipping.

O.

Archived