LegacyGT.com

Smoke and rough idle

U can also do what I called the puf puf test where u take the oil cap off while idling and see if u see vapor pulsating in phase with the rpm. If u only see some vapor at first and no pulsating afterwards u should be OK ringland wise. But if it pulsates in phase with the rpm, then it's no good :(

It goes in phase with the rpm.. im deciding if I want to do a used ej255 block for like $500 or ej22e with the 255 heads

The other thing is to remove the pistons but not too keen because I've only taken one motor apart and it was just a learning session. . My biggest fear is getting the wrist pins back in place

Don't bother with either- pay the $1800 to Heuberger for a complete stock short block delivered to your door. Then you won't have to mess with building the block- just tearing the motor out and sending your heads in for a refresh. There will be other incidentals- when my shop tore mine out they had to replace the intercooler to IM coupler, valve cover cross pipe (hard line), and a bunch of other misc. rubber lines.

If you go with the used options, you will only be putting a temporary band aid on the situation- especially since either way you are going to have to take your motor out and dismantle it.....

I got around to changing the OCV today.. note to others don't pry on the body of the OCV and the bracket.. ended up snapping the part that sticks in the part for the oil.. I ended up just using some vice grips to break off that stupid zip tie on the hose to the valve cover.

Anyways rough idle is still a little rough but I noticed my dipstick has not popped up in the last two drives.

I was also told to wait and measure the pistons before just going and buying the piston rings? No one seems to know what size the stock pistons are..

Don't bother with either- pay the $1800 to Heuberger for a complete stock short block delivered to your door. Then you won't have to mess with building the block- just tearing the motor out and sending your heads in for a refresh. There will be other incidentals- when my shop tore mine out they had to replace the intercooler to IM coupler, valve cover cross pipe (hard line), and a bunch of other misc. rubber lines.

If you go with the used options, you will only be putting a temporary band aid on the situation- especially since either way you are going to have to take your motor out and dismantle it.....

It's $1810 from subaru parts for you how big is the box the short block comes in? If I go this way I know for sure it wont be until late or early feb before I can start this..

I can measure the box when I get home but it's not that big. I had the entire long block in the trunk of my 98 Buick when I drove from dealer to hole in the wall shop trying to get the cam gear bolts off.

I can't speak on shipping as it just so happen to be sitting in the dealership. The parts guy always had 1 or 2 in stock as he was rebuilding another 05 that blew up shortly after trade in.

lol I know the shortblock would fit but I don't want to have to take it out of the box to make it fit until I get to the location of the work being done.

i'm not going to ship since the dealer internet location is only 30 miles away

Archived