LegacyGT.com

What size fairing for the Legacy?

direavenger

sounds right, but check the yakima website. it'll tell you what you need for your car
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

What kind of stuff do you plan on carrying? I guess if you want to cut down on your windnoise, a fairing would be good...I like to call them sticker holders. :D I can't believe people actually steal those...so crazy. I know Yakima fairings are secured really well so if you go on a paddling trip or even a nice bike ride, you won't have to worry too much.

What kind of stuff do you plan on carrying?

I will be biking in the spring, summer and fall, snowboarding in the winter. Those places are all pretty far away and I know these racks have a tendancy to create a lot of noise, so I thought it would be a good idea.

...I like to call them sticker holders. :D

I promise, no stickers on this rack :D

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Wow, you're gonna be doing all sorts of stuff...

Yeah, this assumes my job doesn't get in the way. Before my buddy and I just used his truck, but now him and I are in different parts of the country. Since I don't want to lay my bike/snowboard on the leather (and the mother-f*#%ing seats don't fold down), I had no choice.

So the parents were nice enough to get me a Yakima roof mount system for my birthday, but I definately need a fairing. I'm pretty sure that they are 48" crossbars. A 44" Fairing would be appropriate, right?

Wish my parents would buy me stuff for my car. I guess when you 21 that is the cutoff, or maybe it was 25. Either way I am old. My parents have this strange misconception that because I have my own job and life they no longer need to buy me stuff.

Wish my parents would buy me stuff for my car. I guess when you 21 that is the cutoff, or maybe it was 25.

I just started my first "real" job out of college a few weeks ago. Since I haven't gotten a paycheck yet and I'm still technically poor, I guess my parents pitied me. My birthday comes around and BLAM! Bike rack. It's all about timing, man :D

I just started my first "real" job out of college a few weeks ago. Since I haven't gotten a paycheck yet and I'm still technically poor, I guess my parents pitied me. My birthday comes around and BLAM! Bike rack. It's all about timing, man :D

I was the same way. The first 2 years of college I would go home once a month to get soap, shaving cream, toothpaste, boxes of cereal and whatever my mom would let me swipe so I could save cash. I live off $20 a month the frist year I was in college. No car, lived in the dorms, ate at the Dining Facility. What do you need money for. Sure I had no life. But how is that any differant from now :)

But how is that any differant from now :)

Rent, car loan, car insurance (increased), phone bill, utilities, all previously covered by student loans(with the exception of the car, which I didn't have in college either), which are being paid off now too :D

Yup 44''

Scans, did you put those clear oval stickies on the roof of your car to protect it from the fairing? I was thinking that those foam pads that you put on the fairing would be enough. I'm a little leary about puttin' adhesives on my car...

Scans, did you put those clear oval stickies on the roof of your car to protect it from the fairing? I was thinking that those foam pads that you put on the fairing would be enough. I'm a little leary about puttin' adhesives on my car...

Those foam peices go on the plastic fairing rods that go to the roof.....they DO NOT go on the car! If you want pictures of the foam peices on the plastic shootoffs that go from it to the roof let me know.....

I bought one of those cool snowboard fairings for my Thule rack, but the roof rack rails (say that 5 times fast) on my wagon don't go far enough forward to (a) not look stupid, or (b) allow the fairing to mount in front of the sunroof. Now, the rack comes off when I'm not caring any bikes.

CJ

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

I was thinking that those foam pads that you put on the fairing would be enough.

LOL, thats what I said. I know the foam pads go on the fairing, but I didn't know if I had to use the clear protective stickers that are supposed to be attached to the car. They are transparent ovals, the same size as the foam pads (that go on the fairing :D) but are paper-thin. The instructions indicate that you are supposed to stick these clear oval stickers on the car so that they protect it from the foam pads, but I can't see why. I was just asking if you thought that they were necessary. Sorry for the confusion.

I bought one of those cool snowboard fairings for my Thule rack, but the roof rack rails (say that 5 times fast) on my wagon don't go far enough forward to (a) not look stupid, or (b) allow the fairing to mount in front of the sunroof. Now, the rack comes off when I'm not caring any bikes.

CJ

Daaa...I didn't even think of the fairing interfering with the sunroof :mad:. Dammit. I'll see what I can do with my Yakima when I get home tonight.

Scans: do you have a sunroof?

I do have a sun roof.....no interfearance at all the Fairing sits in front of it. in the space between the sunroof and the windshield...

And I didn't use the oval stickers......as the racks go on and off so easily I only put them on when I go to bike,ski blah blah so they are never really on........

I do have a sun roof.....no interfearance at all the Fairing sits in front of it. in the space between the sunroof and the windshield...

And I didn't use the oval stickers......as the racks go on and off so easily I only put them on when I go to bike,ski blah blah so they are never really on........

Sedan, right? I wonder if the roof rails start further back on the wagons? There is a good 12" between the front of the sunroof and the front of the rails (more to the front of where the tower can be placed) on the wagons. You would need a very long extension to move the fairing out far enough.

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

Has anyone compared the Subaru Factory Crossbars with either Yakima or Thule? I was wondering what the major differences are.

For a hundred bucks the factory ones must be "good enough"?

On my WRX I used the factory cross bars for my bike carrier and a thule for snowboards and I just swapped them out with the seasons.

Also, SCANS did you notice a major difference in wind noise with the fairing?

Oh yeah, your car was what made me want a Legacy, I saw your car in the pictures from the WBM.

Thanks,

Iggy

Archived