LegacyGT.com

Insurance and totaling the car question...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. I didn't think it worked like that.

I agree with this. It's been my understanding anything attached to the vehicle becomes part of the vehicle. As the OP stated usually the insurance company will increase their payout for aftermarket items which increase the value of the vehicle. I've never heard of a situation where one is able to remove aftermarket items though. Very interesting his insurance company is allowing this.

I agree with this. It's been my understanding anything attached to the vehicle becomes part of the vehicle. As the OP stated usually the insurance company will increase their payout for aftermarket items which increase the value of the vehicle. I've never heard of a situation where one is able to remove aftermarket items though. Very interesting his insurance company is allowing this.

This.

If they valued the vehicle higher due to aftermarket parts, why would they offer you such a high dollar value AND let you take the parts off and sell them?

I was very clear in my questions to them over the phone, and have e mails to back up incase they ever come back. But they said as long as everything is replaced with stock, they don't care what I take off. LIke I said they even offered to pay to tow the car to my house so I can take them off

Not sure I follow you, but ok.

You are the reason your rims got bent right? That means your at fault. If another driver crashed into your car and caused your rims to be bent, then you would not be at fault. This is what MrTris was trying explain.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I'm not going to argue this point any further.

It was dark and rainy in a construction zone and the road had sunk about 8-12" and flooded. It took out about five other cars that evening.

I am not at fault and that is the official stance of the insurance company.

In that case you could plead your case to the City/State to pay you, at which case your insurance company wouldn't pay a dime. If your asking YOUR insurance company to pay YOU for xyz, you are at fault. At which point they will jack up your insurance rate next time you renew because they have to get their money back somehow.

It's never free money :spin:.

I'm also impressed that OP is getting $13k for his LGT, heck I would take that in the heartbeat even with mods...

22 Ascent STOCK

• Moderators

Why are you guys arguing this with compsurge--the REALITY of his situation seems to be that the insurance company made it a "not at fault" incident. Done. No amount of theory is going to change that reality (if I'm reading his posts correctly and that's the case).

Also, insurance companies shouldn't need to raise your rates for every single pay out to "get their money back." In most cases, they should be taking in plenty of premiums where they pay absolutely nothing out, and over the long run these will outweigh any payouts that they are making for accidents, etc.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Actually, it's not uncommon to allow someone to replace parts. The parts you replace have to be functioning and they have to be installed properly though.

Always check your estimate before having them pay for your aftermarket wheels (unless they are high dollar) because often times new OEM replacement wheels cost more than aftermarket wheels. You can have them write you a check for the OEM wheels and order your aftermarket wheels and pocket the difference. A lot of other parts work that way too.

I would only do this if you were not at fault though.

Not sure I follow you, but ok.

What he's saying is that any time you use the collision coverage on your policy you are making a claim against yourself. That means it goes on your insurance record as an at fault claim. So at renewal or if you switch companies they will see that and rate it against you, so you will likely pay a higher premium.

There are subtle nuances that I am not familiar with on the rating side of the business that make deer strikes or damages like yours less severe, but any claim on your policy can cause you to pay higher premiums.

The amount paid out also has an affect. So the higher the payout, the more likely and more severely it will affect your premium.

Has 99,000.

As much was I wanted it fixed orignally, I actually asked them to please total it still. Honestly, $14,500 for my car, I already habe pre sold almost every aftermarket part on the car locally, so no shipping hassle, that's 6k including my motor. Basically getting 20k for my car if you count insurance and mod sales. I'll never get that if I were to sell it later, and I don't want to deal with dimished value from this either.

It allows me to walk away from the car clean and clear of the loan, pay off some credit cards and get something else.

Has 99,000.

As much was I wanted it fixed orignally, I actually asked them to please total it still. Honestly, $14,500 for my car, I already habe pre sold almost every aftermarket part on the car locally, so no shipping hassle, that's 6k including my motor. Basically getting 20k for my car if you count insurance and mod sales. I'll never get that if I were to sell it later, and I don't want to deal with dimished value from this either.

It allows me to walk away from the car clean and clear of the loan, pay off some credit cards and get something else.

Sounds like a win and a solid plan.

Wow.

When I picked up my car it had 87k (now 96k) and it was only worth $10,500.00, and that is a place where premiums are placed on Subarus. $14.5k is unheard of for these cars here- maybe for a STI, but not a LGT......

Lucky....

That's impressive, never seems to amaze me how much more Subaru's are valued on the west coast. I would definitely fight for keeping it totaled, even if it comes down taking less money for the car. Like you said, You'll never get that money on resell and plus it will be less worth due to the collision.

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived