LegacyGT.com

Hissing sound on cold start when pressing in clutch

After doing some minor DIY mods this past weekend, I noticed my car starts to make a minor hissing/squealing sound on a cold start when I press in the clutch pedal. I'm due for a clutch change but never heard this sound before and it goes away when my car warms up.

It sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the engine bay and the hiss sounds like what my SPT intake makes when driving but a little more "squealy". It only happens when I press in the clutch. Not sure if it's a coincidence or I messed something up when doing some mods in the garage last weekend but I did install a heat shield and had to remove some bolts off of the intercooler to wiggle it in. Otherwise the only other things I touched in the engine bay were the turn signal bulbs.

Any ideas what this sound is?

Throw Out Bearing. Buy a TSK3 kit when doing your clutch.

Ah that makes sense. So it seems to be just a coincidence with the timing along with doing some DIY mods. I read that cold weather tends to make the squeal more noticeable and it calms down when it gets warm.

Its the TOB and if you neglect this issue you will need a TSK3 kit. Replace it along with your clutch and PP.

Should I just get a TSK3 kit installed as a preventative measure? New clutch kit and flywheel are on its way but was thinking of adding this just in case.

Also, does the TSK3 sleeve kit come with a bearing or do I need to order that separately?

Archived