LegacyGT.com

Need help choosing remote start! 5MT

Hello. I want to install a remote start on our 2005 LGT and if it works out well, probably on our 2005 OBXT as well. Both cars are manual transmission. I've been researching units and I cannot figure out what modules/bypass/etc that I'll need and could use some help!

The features that I'd like:

- one remote (no need to carry stock FOB)

- good range (I work on a large campus and would like to be able to start it from inside, say a ten minute walk away)

- I'd like it to be completely safe and use the car running, in neutral, ebrake on, get out and close door and car shuts off type thing so it's always safe to start

- No need to have a spare key in the car all the time

I don't care if the remote has a screen or not. I was looking at the Compustar 901, but not set on anything.

The main thing is, I don't know what I need other than the basic kit to bypass the key ID, work with the manual trans, integrate with the stock system, etc.

Can anyone help!? If you're local, I'd even consider an install. I was quoted $900 from a local place for the 901 system installed with all of my wanted features, but that seems excessive to me. I can do it myself as well.

Thanks!

You do know we don't recommend letting these cars warm up. It's best for the engine to drive it, not let it sit at idle for 10 minutes.

It adds wear to the pistons and cylinders.

The other thing you want is to get the car off the stock MAP, which has a timing flaw that will burn valves.

You also want to remove the filter for mthe banjo bolt on the back of the passenger side head. Which is easy to do while your putting a catless up pipe on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You do know we don't recommend letting these cars warm up. It's best for the engine to drive it, not let it sit at idle for 10 minutes.

It adds wear to the pistons and cylinders.

The other thing you want is to get the car off the stock MAP, which has a timing flaw that will burn valves.

You also want to remove the filter for mthe banjo bolt on the back of the passenger side head. Which is easy to do while your putting a catless up pipe on.

I understand that it can cause more wear over time, but I'd rather get into a warm car and deal with the consequences. Both cars are off of the factory maps and both have catless ups and no banjo filters. Both will be getting VF52s and catless downs and retunes soon as well.

Still looking for advice on remote starts

$5000+ will buy you a pretty nice coat, hat, and gloves. You'll probably even have some left over.

I've always dismissed remote start on a manual transmission vehicle. I'm not willing to give up the extra security of parking in gear with the parking brake.

I know a few people who have put remote start on a manual car.

Once we came outside and the car was trying to start itself against a pole because it was left it gear. Another friend of mine came outside to find his car driving circles in his front yard, also because it was left in gear.

A friend of mine was considering a remote start on his car (manual) but ended up getting a block heater instead. Might be a good compromise. No wasting gas or premature wear, and you should get heat pretty quickly when the block heater is used.

As long as you remember to unplug it before driving off...

Sorry OP, sounds like you've come the wrong place for that question. That's about the only thing no one has done to these cars.

There is a thread about electronics and stuff in the Tech forum's below, may be try there.

Other member who is great with these type questions is frank_ster or may Dave at ESP.

You can find them both in this thread, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/another-5eat-6mt-5mt-swap-questions-05-lgt-thread-132374.html PM one of them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived