LegacyGT.com

Brakes less effective with age

Scruit

What 5thelement says. Always check the sliders when doing a brake job. Mine were "okay", but a couple were dragging slightly. I pulled all of them out, cleaned and re-lubed. I'm pretty confident I won't have any brake issues for the next few years.

I've heard some say Subuarus have mushy brakes but that would not appear to always be the case.

• 3 weeks later...

My 04 FXT has amazing brakes compared to the 05 LGT. It's kind of sad actually. I just rebled the system, new Centric Rotors and Stop Tech pads, regreased all caliper pins, rebuilt all of the calipers, New wheel bearings on three sides (reduces rust/runout), and brakes still suck. I even tried to rebed them still no dice, though It might have been a little too cold outside and they never fully warmed up.

Now one part of it is actually the tune, AVCS map specifically. By not having the very first row zeroed out, engine will have less vacuum when throttle is fully closed (due to valve overlap). Which does mean poorer breaking performance at speed. Newer Legacy's switched over to similar kind of maps with first column being zeroed out. Here is what I'm talking about, thanks to throttlehappy for pointing it out in one of the Romraider threads:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/ECU/AVCS/AVCS10DPv2.png~original

Still disappointed in breaking on this car though....

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Indeed, I have a boost/vacuum gauge teed off the stock MAP sensor, which is not too far from the brake booster. Sadly Innovative gauges come with too thin of lines thus they don't read vacuum accurately so I need to upgrade the line first.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived