LegacyGT.com

bov on non turbo

A blow-off valve releases excess pressure when you shift or let off during acceleration. It's only for forced induction engines such as turbocharged or supercharged.

For reference, there are a few types of valves that do this function. They can either vent completely to atmostphere, partially to atmosphere, or complete recirculation as the Subaru stock recirculation system ducts excess pressure back into the turbo inlet pipe just before the compressor inlet.

does it work, does it make ANY sense?

For all the guys that are missing the real answer and all the guys who are making fun of your intellect, I will give you a straight answer and educate you.

You can have a BOV with a turbo, a supercharger, or any other type of set up that create pressure more than 14.7 psi (normal atmospheric pressure at sea level). When a turbo car makes 14 psi of boost, it's "boosting" the atmospheric pressure to simulate 28.7 psi. The BOV is designed to release pressure at a certain psi to prevent the turbo or supercharger (or any type of compressor) from backpressure.

So in your case, a car without a supercharger, turbo, or any other compressor type set up does not need a BOV because it's not making additional boost to break the compressor (you can not break something if you never had a compressor in the car in the first place).

I have heard some really silly people weld a BOV on the exhuast track and block up the exhaust (dumb to begin with since you want a very clear exhaust flow to make power) but they just wanted a whistling or blow-off sound. The only place where the exhaust vents out is through the BOV.

If you want a BOV for a normal aspirated car, you get yourself a speaker and a silly amp that plays the BOV sound which hooks up to your throttle cable and every time you let off the gas, the sound goes off.

Please use http://www.howstuffworks.com for more info and learn about how turbo works, how superchargers work and all that sort.

Edit: 14.7 psi = 1 atm, my bad.

Keefe

"You can have a BOV with a turbo, a supercharger, or

any other type of set up that create pressure more than

14.3 psi (normal atmospheric pressure at sea level)."

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

QUICK!!! SLOW DOWN AND ROLL DOWN THE WINDOWS!!!

DO IT BEFORE YOU PASS OUT FROM CEREBRAL ANOXIA!!!!

I am not familiar with the conditions on your planet, but here on Earth 1

atmosphere at sea level is defined to be exactly 101.325 kilopascals, or

approximately 14.6959 psia. The latter value is commonly abbreviated as

14.7 lbf/in^2. For sufficiently small values of 7 a 3 may be substituted, but

that alteration should NEVER be shown to a mathematician or a physicist

or you risk being pummeled.

We now return you to your regular scheduled program.

Archived