LegacyGT.com

08 legacy gt throwout/tsk?

Yucky08GT

$6k transmission swap on a car worth only a few thousand more isn't necessarily the smartest money decision.

Under $5k is achievable. And while definitely not necessarily economical, it's a huge improvement.

EDIT... changed above. I'm not convinced, on a 2008 LGT, that sourcing 5MT halves (if it comes to that) is a better option than finding the right source for a 6MT. While I'm sure there's an abundance of stranded 5MT transmissions out there--mine, with 45k miles on it, disappeared from a pallet last year sometime--going through the time & effort of transplanting gear sets just to end up with the same shitty transmission doesn't seem worthwhile.

Tits mcgee

• 3 weeks later...
OK I ordered the TSK3, as I had said after communicating with Joel at PDM, he told me after seeing the pictures that it will work for me, no problem. I'm planning on putting everything together the day after thanksgiving, I'll post my results here as soon as it's done. Crossing my fingers that everything goes smoothly, I'm also doing an inventory for exhaust gaskets and a couple broken exhaust bolts to try to make sure I have everything I will need before I start. And yes, I know that never seems to work, I just want to at least make an effort to minimize parts runs.

OK So it's done. Everything went together over the weekend. The TSK worked beautifully, the pedal action is smooth as butter, and the pedal effort is at least half what it used to be with the TOB dragging across the old scored snout. The kit is simple and straightforward, it's only held onto the tranny snout with four little allen head set screws, so I was very generous with the red loctite for good measure. I've only done a short test drive so far but everything seems to be A-OK. The only drawback I have experienced at this point is that with the lighter flywheel the engine isn't exactly rock solid when falling back to idle. It drops to about 500 RPM or maybe a little less and struggles a bit to come back to idle. I knew that was going to happen, wondering if the learning ability of the ECU is going to be enough to overcome that. If I have to spring for a tuner my wife is going to s*** kittens...

Also, I would like to meet the person who decided that the Torx Plus 50 flywheel bolts were a good idea. Then I would like to slap them. There's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned hex head bolt in this application. That's what I put back on the car when I put it back together, and made sure they were a high enough grade that I don't have to worry about them breaking. Other than having to grind the heads off 5 out of the 8 bolts (yes I had an actual T50 PLUS cosked adapter and an impact gun) it went pretty smoothly.

• 3 weeks later...
Those of with idol issues, are using the southbound stage 3 (16LB) flywheel?

I really torn between the stg2 endo w/ oem smfw and the stage 3 with lwfw

Do not put a LWFW in these cars. hind sight 20/20 I should have replaced mine with a steel one when I did the ej257.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do not put a LWFW in these cars. hind sight 20/20 I should have replaced mine with a steel one when I did the ej257.

Well I ended up ordering the southbend stage 3 daily kit which includes a 16lb flywheel. I'm a little nervous but there's no turning back now as it was already delivered. Will install it this weekend.

Pros:

1) Heaviest non-OEM flywheel I could find

2) Only 7 lbs lighter than wrx smfw

3) Using oem crank pulley

Archived