LegacyGT.com

How much is my car worth?

Hey guys. Can I get a few opinions from y'all about what you think I would be able to get for my car selling privately? I'm just trying to get a rough estimate as to what I should be able to get at a minimum. I'll list probably way more stuff than you care to know/read, but I figured the more info the better:

Basics:

'98 Outback Legacy Limited. 286,000 miles. 4EAT.

Good (in no particular order):

- Fresh head gaskets. Recent timing belt. Lots of new oil seals. Engine doesn't really leak oil now!

- New front calipers/brackets with StopTech performance pads.

- New front axles.

- Replaced strut assemblies two years ago on all four corners. All the following parts were replaced with NEW parts:

--- KYB-GR2 struts

--- OEM Outback springs front and rear

--- Moog strut mounts.

--- Bellows and bump-stops

--- Spring perch rubber rings/mounts.

- New muffler (OEM style.)

- New upper/lower radiator hoses.

- Repainted front bumper and hood (and rear bumper, but it now has a scratch in the middle from some jerk that hit and ran).

- Replaced headlights with like-new versions off a junkyard car. They look brand new (I think they had just been replaced on the junk car before it was crashed.)

Other modifications:

- PIAA fog light replacements with driving light lenses and Narva RangePower+50 bulbs.

- Rallitek swaybars front and rear (rear adjustable.)

- 17" Sport Edition A7 wheels with Yokahoma S-Drive tires (4/32" left - so need to be replaced soon.)

- Centric cryo-stop rotors all 4 corners.

- LED turn signal bulbs and interior dome lights.

- All small switch bulbs recently replaced (including HVAC bulbs.)

- Pioneer FH-P8000BT head unit (bluetooth). Alpine speakers and tweeters. Kenwood under-seat subwoofer.

- 5 gallon air tank in trunk, mounted to trunk floor under carpet, with Viair 400C compressor. Air line running into ceiling, out rear of roof rack to Hornblasters Horns. Air tank has quick-disconnect and 25' air line for air tools.

- Front cup holder no longer functional. Repurposed for switches that control stock vs. train horns, FWD mode, Sport mode, and 2.5mm aux input and USB aux for head unit.

- dAmplifier applied to various locations in car - mainly doors for better rattle isolation (makes doors sound much meatier when they are shut.)

RalliArmor mud flaps.

The bad:

- Damage to right rear from me being retarded and just barely grazing a light pole when backing out of a parking space.

- Ticking from driver's side head ever since head gasket was replaced. Appears to be incorrectly adjusted shims on the replacement valve cover, since we replaced the one on that side with one from a junkyard. Most people have told me it's simply a noise, but isn't actually a problem, and I've driven several thousand miles since then without issue.

- Typical 4EAT jolt into 2nd and slight delay into 3rd issue that is present on pretty much EVERY 4EAT with significant mileage. Other than that, it shifts fine and can be very aggressive in sport mode!

- IACV acts up on occasion. Probably should be cleaned or replaced in the near future.

- HVAC blower motor is dead. Easy to replace - only takes 5 minutes to disassemble the glove box and remove it.

- Rear sway bar squeaks in cold weather. I've tried all kinds of grease and I just can't get it to not squeak!

- Right front mud flap does rub slightly on the right front wheel when turned significantly. Could probably be resolved by re-mounting the mud flap, but I never did because it isn't really an issue and since all the mud flaps are installed straight, I didn't want to try my luck at fixing it and end up with a tilted flap. It's been like that for many, MANY thousands of miles. It just barely touches it (I should have been a bit tighter when I installed) but it doesn't do anything to the tire, and basically it's perfectly fine other than the fact that when it's wet from rain it squeaks annoyingly when you have the wheel cranked to the right angle.

- Left mirror isn't heated anymore because the idiot body shop that replaced it didn't replace it with a heated version (car was sideswiped by someone on the driver's side which required that the left front fender be replaced, and two dents be pulled out of the rocker panel, and the door skin be replaced (and the mirror!) No mechanical damage was done to the car.

- Other normal things for an older car.

Overall: Most people are completely surprised when I tell them it has 286k miles. They say it looks - inside and out - like it has half the mileage. If it weren't for the damage to the right rear I'd say it was in pretty great shape, but, alas, I'm an idiot, so it isn't.

Here are some random pics I found in my facebook of some stuff:

942987_10200269685448086_250068485_n.jpg?oh=fd4d1d9f5382d54c99b9602bfb1eb9d4&oe=54C71E70

946241_10200269685168079_710180505_n.jpg?oh=862a118efa13c4e830cfed48857c86cf&oe=54B5B6E0

1001467_10200182660712522_1252809375_n.jpg?oh=0ee2581c91756ac5736f8084b8811b64&oe=54B6734E

75325_4228376990973_656673697_n.jpg?oh=fa37e3ddbf3706d5675c022823fb9063&oe=54B0107F

46523_3796625357452_1248275621_n.jpg?oh=e688d48be37cb15e9826acdf9304ea32&oe=54C6EF84

282346_3796660838339_471825581_n.jpg?oh=5206c1ce8633f9525046025f30410645&oe=54F59D02&__gda__=1422349871_eaf53c0c193e7514c49b68ebf331235e

I can't really say what this car is worth but I did want to comment on the following:

"HVAC blower motor is dead. Easy to replace - only takes 5 minutes to disassemble the glove box and remove it."

As a prospective buyer if a seller said the above to me I'd say "Then why didn't you replace it?".

2500-3000 3500 to the right person. Mileage, body damage, broken parts, poor tires. Plus customization which doesn't always help the value of a car. Just from what I'm seeing on Craigslist in my area. Subarus tend to be cheaper yet around Chicago.

What's your new project

My new project is potentially a brand new BRZ. Completely swinging to the opposite end of the spectrum, I know, lol.

If I could even just get $3,000 for the Outback, I'd be happy. That would cover a 3M Clear Bra install and some snow tires for the BRZ, and still leave me a bit of money left over to either put as a downpayment or just throw at my credit card.

My new project is potentially a brand new BRZ. Completely swinging to the opposite end of the spectrum, I know, lol.

If I could even just get $3,000 for the Outback, I'd be happy. That would cover a 3M Clear Bra install and some snow tires for the BRZ, and still leave me a bit of money left over to either put as a downpayment or just throw at my credit card.

As a point of comparison. A couple of months ago I sold my 1997 2.5, 4EAT with ~178K miles on it for $3,400. It needed nothing. Body had no damage. The following work had been done in the 15 months I owned it:

• Brand new radiator
  • All fluids replaced
  • New fuel pump
  • New brake rotors and pads
  • New water pump
  • New timing belt and associated pulleys
  • New alternator / power steering and air conditioning belts
  • New drivers side rear wheel bearing
  • New bulbs all around

I could probably have gotten a little more for it if I had waited a little longer. But I wanted to sell it given I had two other vehicles.

Archived