LegacyGT.com

engine noise, searching gave too many possibilities.

hey guys, I am new to Subaru. I found a 2005 Subaru gt auto that had been sitting behind a car lot for nearly a year right beside my work. I decided to stop in an inquire about it. its a 1 owner with 104000 miles. the salesman said he bought the car with the knowledge it just needed a tune up, but it turned out someone had scraped the nub off the coil pack and broke the connector clip. his mechanic had cut the wires from the clip and plugged them into the coil, but since it was allowing the wires to ark it wasn't drivable, he thought it needed a whole new wiring harness and offered to sell it to me for 3900.00. the car is like brand new under the hood with no oil leaks or any signs of abuse, mint condition on the inside...so I really couldn't pass up on this car after searching and found out I could fix for 15.00 off ebay. the salesman bought me a new battery for the car, a new coil pack, and new spark plugs. but here is where I am getting nervous about completing the purchase "put 2000.00 toward it, which is refundable if I decided I didn't want the car"

after putting in new spark plugs, new coil pack, and wiring up connector I started the car for the first time. it was fairly cold outside "50's" and immediately heard what sounded to me as rod knock. I lightly revved it to around 3k a couple of times "while engine still cold" to see if I could diagnose the sound a lil better...it just became more noticeable but pitch of the sound didn't change. I let it idle for a couple of minutes and eventually the sound went away at idle, so I revved it up again and the same sound and loudness appeared again until I let off, when I let off the sound goes away and car goes back to idle "cold idle around 1100-1200 rpms" and comes back again nearly the whole way through the rpm range "during revving" and goes way again when I let off and while at idle. I was afraid to drive it and cause any more damage. I thought about putting it in drive and putting a load on it while holding the brakes "brake boosting I guess it could be called" but decided to turn it off and play it safe.

after doing some searching on here, and watching almost every youtube video I could with a legacy turbo engine making noise, I have learned that the sound is 1 of 3 things.

1. timing belt tensioner

2. valve tick

3. rod knock/piston slap

the sound this car makes is more identical to a majority of the videos with belt tensioner problems...but really I feel they all sound the same. if its a belt tensioner, im going to become a Subaru owner since the replacement video looked pretty much like a cake job. if its valve issues or piston issues I think i'll probably walk away and buy me another Mitsubishi starion or another rx-8 "which was a fun car to drive". here is where I need help, I am new to the boxer engines...so should I let the car fully warm up to better diagnose the issue, or would these 3 possibilities still exist at operating temp? if they do, is there anything that can be done to eliminate some of the possibilities without taking much apart? like putting some thicker oil in "going to do an oil change immediately if I buy" to see if possible piston slap/ rod knock goes away? would a thicker oil help quiet a valve if that is what's wrong? the car hasn't been started in over 10 months according to the salesman, and it was kind of a chilly day with me turning the car off before it had a chance to reach operating temp.

I would post a video, but I see a lot of ppl already have, and to me it all sounds the same. hoping by describing the problem I could have someone with experience in Subaru's diagnose, or suggest anything to help eliminate other possible causes.

thanks.

ohh, car is also completely 100% stock.

Walk away.

Rod knock.

50F is not a chilly day. its 30F here right now.

If you buy it and can pull the engine yourself, your still looking at 4-5000 to get it right.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

For the $2k they wanted you to put down, you could have bought a new OEM shortblock and gasket kit, shipped to your door.

If you're not prepared for the financial investment these cars (and especially that one in particular) require, then, yes, stay with your DSMs and RXs. (which, how are those cheaper?)

I don't know how much cheaper an rx would be, I didn't own it long enough to find out. however I know they have their own quirks as with any car. the dsm though hasn't been cheap, I just look at it more as a collectible. the biggest expense was swapping to MPI as the stock dual point wasn't very reliable or able to make much power in the long run lol.

the Subaru I listened to today, the sound is deff coming from the front of the motor around the crank pulley making me feel its the tensioner. but if you guys really feel its rod knock ill take the advice and walk away. I did find another in Nashville, its 6-speed and around the same mileage for 6000.00. im not sure what these sell for, this one is red and in really good condition and drove smooth with no weird noises. not sure if color helps value, I know some cars have rare colors. the 2k I put down wasn't required, I just put it toward the price he was asking and an agreement that once I repair the clip ill test drive it and make a decision on paying the rest or walking away. I have the money for up-keep and some minor upgrades like a better turbo and such things ive researched that make it more reliable. Im really just looking for a fun daily driver, with potential. if all I gotta do is replace the timing belt and tensioner, and some other things while im at it, im all in. but if the advice from what was described is possibly buying a new short block at the least "really don't feel like boring out cylinders and all that jazz" ill take the advice and walk away.

thanks for the help guys. sorry to sound annoying. was hoping to become a member of the Subaru family and felt it was a good deal until this sound made me uneasy.

I don't know how much cheaper an rx would be, I didn't own it long enough to find out. however I know they have their own quirks as with any car. the dsm though hasn't been cheap, I just look at it more as a collectible. the biggest expense was swapping to MPI as the stock dual point wasn't very reliable or able to make much power in the long run lol.

the Subaru I listened to today, the sound is deff coming from the front of the motor around the crank pulley making me feel its the tensioner. but if you guys really feel its rod knock ill take the advice and walk away. I did find another in Nashville, its 6-speed and around the same mileage for 6000.00. im not sure what these sell for, this one is red and in really good condition and drove smooth with no weird noises. not sure if color helps value, I know some cars have rare colors. the 2k I put down wasn't required, I just put it toward the price he was asking and an agreement that once I repair the clip ill test drive it and make a decision on paying the rest or walking away. I have the money for up-keep and some minor upgrades like a better turbo and such things ive researched that make it more reliable. Im really just looking for a fun daily driver, with potential. if all I gotta do is replace the timing belt and tensioner, and some other things while im at it, im all in. but if the advice from what was described is possibly buying a new short block at the least "really don't feel like boring out cylinders and all that jazz" ill take the advice and walk away.

thanks for the help guys. sorry to sound annoying. was hoping to become a member of the Subaru family and felt it was a good deal until this sound made me uneasy.

It's never a bad idea to listen to your instincts.

There's a red, six-speed LGT? AFAIK, the only 6MTs are the SpecBs, and, if you found a red one, well, that's stupid rare. Details on this find, please!

my bad 5-speed. has upgraded 16g, cobb intake, perrin downpipe and cross pipe? sound like its worth 6k? I may finance it if so. and burgundy sorry, not red lol.

Definitely worth taking a look, though, I'm always leery of Subarus that have lived in, and been modified in The South --"Y'all" ain't very good at properly moddin' dem imports.

The 6 speed is a much better tranny go for that car.

I doubt it's a Spec B, yet a red Spec B. I think there are only 3 of them.

It's most likely a 5mt that some one swapped in a 6mt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

burgundy legacy was sold by the time I made it up there. Dealer settled for the 2k I already gave since he didn't want to deal with it. Officially a legacy owner. Car is parked in the garage, waiting on the gates timing kit and other goodies to arrive. If I have to break into the motor, I'll probably sell my project and just start from scratch on a legacy engine build. Thanks guys. Hope to catch a meet or something next yr and get to know some of ya.

yeah it drove fine, didn't miss or seem to lack any power.

plan right now is preventative. Timing belt, tensioner, lightweight pulley while I'm there, engine and trans fluid and filter changes, brakes and tires, research some lowering options, up-pipe and other exhaust work, more reliable turbo, tune.

if it turns out to be internal, I'll probably pull the motor and check out some build threads and start there. I have an 02 Audi s4 I bought as a project that jumped time and bent valves. I'll just sell it with the new heads and such to support the legacy build. My wife already drives an 05 Jetta gli, so I don't mind parting with another Audi.

Archived