LegacyGT.com

A day at the dealer. The list goes on.

firedawgs

So I drop off my car at the dealer today for blown speakers. (here is the thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17076&page=4&pp=10&highlight=blown+speakers)

I had a list to give as well. To go on with the story I have to tell you this story. I recently bought a AVO boost actuator in hopes to keep my boost and get rid of any wastegate flutter. The stock B/A is a 7psi spring, whereas, the AVO is a 15psi spring. With free flow exhaust it is very common to see boost leak/wastegate flutter above 7psi. I bought it from a member of this thread. When I received the B/A I installed it no problem, but the boost was not holding there. I have to make this story short (full story is here AVO boost actuator thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11511&page=2&pp=10&highlight=AVO+boost+actuator

Anyways, I took off the AVO B/A and put back the stocker, but the stocker was done, or broke. It sounded like a bean shacking in a tin can. I drove it right to the dealer and showed them. The service manager comes over and looks and listens and drive the car. Then he starts on the "well any other dealer wouldn't touch this car with that downpipe I see there." I jump back and call B.S that a downpipe has no effect on the turbo or the wastegate. Then he says he will check it out when I bring it in for the speakers. I leave for home knowing that I am not driving around with a broken boost actuator that is causing big time waste gate flutter and can not be safe for the car. So I go home and let the car cool down and install the AVO B/A back in (by now I have it down to less than 10mins). I can not tell you that taking off the stock boost actuator just finished what was starting to fail; I don't know. I do know that this stock actuator was not safe for my car.

Back to the dealer now. I drop off the car today and go directly to the service manager. Oh yeah I forgot to add; on the way to the dealer today my car pulls a CEL. I tell him that today is the test for them, meaning I am going to use them as a dealer or I go on (and I spend much much much money there). So he says how so. I tell him I found the rattle sound in the car. I tell him that I brought it to my friend who owns a STi and he said it was the boost actuator. I told him that my friend let me borrow his STi boost actuator and the rattle went away. The service manager is cool with it, but wants to see the stock boost actuator. I left it at home so I will bring it to him tomorrow. I remind him not to let any of the kids to test ride the car flooring it with the STi actuator on there. The code the dealer pulled was P0244 (turbo waste gate solenoid performance) When I stopped by there tonight they tell me that they might not be able to order just the actuator, but the whole turbo. To add to the list of boost actuator and stock speakers here is what is being replaced:

1) front speakers left and right

2) Drivers side fuse cover (plastic cover on side front dash)

3) Passenger rear outside weather stripping

4) Boost actuator (maybe full turbo)

5) pop rivet for cown (lost when windshield was replaced)

I will post updates on the dealer. Even though I have had up and down with this dealer. I think they believe me now that I know what I am talking about. If this pays off. They still remain my number 1 dealer.

So I drop off my car at the dealer today for blown speakers. (here is the thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17076&page=4&pp=10&highlight=blown+speakers)

I had a list to give as well. To go on with the story I have to tell you this story. I recently bought a AVO boost actuator in hopes to keep my boost through out the RPM band. I bought it from a member of this thread. When I received the B/A I installed it no problem, but the boost was not holding there. I have to make this story short (full story is here AVO boost actuator thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11511&page=2&pp=10&highlight=AVO+boost+actuator

Anyways, I took off the AVO B/A and put back the stocker, but the stocker was done, or broke. It sounded like a bean shacking in a tin can. I drove it right to the dealer and showed them; not telling them about the aftermarket B/A that was once on there. The service manager comes over and looks and listens and drive the car. Then he starts on the "well any other dealer wouldn't touch this car with that downpipe I see there." I jump back and call B.S that a downpipe has no effect on the turbo or the wastegate. Then he says he will check it out when I bring it in for the speakers. I leave for home knowing that I am not driving around with a broken boost actuator that is causing big time waste gate flutter and can not be safe for the car. So I go home and let the car cool down and install the AVO B/A back in (by now I have it down to less than 10mins).

Back to the dealer now. I drop off the car today and go directly to the service manager. Oh yeah I forgot to add; on the way to the dealer today my car pulls a CEL. I tell him that today is the test for them, meaning I am goning to use them as a dealer or I go on (and I spend much much much money there). So he says how so. I tell him I found the rattle sound in the car. I tell him that I brought it to my friend who owns a STi and he said it was the boost actuator. I told him that my friend let me borrow his STi boost actuator and the rattle went away. The service manager is cool with it, but wants to see the stock boost actuator. I left it at home so I will bring it to him tomorrow. I remind him not to let any of the kids to test ride the car flooring it with the STi actuator on there. The code the dealer pulled was P0244 (turbo waste gate solenoid performance) When I stopped by there tonight they tell me that they might not be able to order just the actuator, but the whole turbo. To add to the list of boost actuator and stock speakers here is what is being replaced:

1) front speakers left and right

2) Drivers side fuse cover (plastic cover on side front dash)

3) Passenger rear outside weather stripping

4) Boost actuator (maybe full turbo)

I will post updates on the dealer. Even though I have had up and down with this dealer. I think they believe me now that I know what I am talking about. If this pays off. They still remain my number 1 dealer.

So why is the dealer/SoA responsible for fixing the boost actuator?

I keed I keeed

I'm also failing to see how you can be sure that taking off the boost actuator didn't somehow cause the damage? It did seem to come as surprise to you that it didn't work when you put it back on. If it was damaged when you first took it off, wouldn't you have noticed?

I wouldn't notice it was broken until I put it back in. I don't care if it was broken before or after, the fact is it is broken. There is no tweaking to the unit to take it off, so to say by taking it out broke it, I am a little skeptical (edited so Brady would be happy). Worst case I end up using the aftermarket boost actuator then so be it. The point of my story was not how strong the stock boost actuator is, but how the dealer looks at mods or does not. One reason I wanted to go to a stronger boost actuator was the waste gate flutter problem. STOP BEING SO PESTIMISTIC.

I wouldn't notice it was broken until I put it back in.
If it was broken in the first place, wouldn't you have noticed it before replacing it? I don't get it. So you didn't notice that it was broken before you replaced it and now you noticed it was broken after re-installing? It just seems like maybe you re-installed it incorrectly or something?

With respect to the dealer/SoA replacing it with a new turbo, that is just wrong.

I keed I keeed

Your right a new turbo is wrong. I told them they don't need all that, just the boost actuator. As for the before and after. I noticed waste flutter before but not a bean in a tin can. If it made it worst I don't know. I just want the part replaced. Thanks for concern. I am off to drop off the B/A right now.

Your point is that dealers looks down on mods and then you make a thread about how you modded your car and broke something YOU took off and want them to replace it.. You wonder why they question mods?? I think you answered your own question.

Did you notice waste flutter at stock, stage 1 or stage 2 ?

I really did not notice the flutter until the downpipe and axleback was on (stage 2).

I guess I am going to have to reword the thread. The reason I went to a better boost actuator was two fold. One to hold boost better, and two to get rid of any wastegate flutter. The stock boost actuator is a 7psi spring.

Onto the dealer. I went today to bring them the stock B/A. They said they would warranty it, but it is a one time warranty. So I am going to look into getting a used stock actuator for back up. The aftermarket one is still stronger, safer, and better. Yes the dealer has treated me right for a change. I don't want to get started on how much money I have spent there, and the issues I had with them with my 04 WRX.

I guess if that is how you see it. I see it as a downpipe cant cause a actuator or turbo problems. I am buying a used stock actuator, because I can't say if it is my problem or not. I am a pretty honest guy, but hate when I go to the dealer for other things and they talk to me like I am an idoit. It is not this one thing. The list goes on, and few of the people here know what I am talking about. And few of the people here know about SOA and any mods; if the one part is not even related with the other. Is that good enough for you all??

Your point is that dealers looks down on mods and then you make a thread about how you modded your car and broke something YOU took off and want them to replace it.. You wonder why they question mods?? I think you answered your own question.

Not few, many of us know about Subaru and Mods. Many, if not most, of us come from previous Subarus. We know Subaru mods, we know Subaru issues, we know Subaru dealers, we just plain know Subarus. We also know how to spell ... and yes, there is definitely something "septic"al going on with your uninstall/reinstall/warranty-replacement of your boost actuator.

I really did not notice the flutter until the downpipe and axleback was on (stage 2).

I guess I am going to have to reword the thread. The reason I went to a better boost actuator was two fold. One to hold boost better, and two to get rid of any wastegate flutter. The stock boost actuator is a 7psi spring.

Onto the dealer. I went today to bring them the stock B/A. They said they would warranty it, but it is a one time warranty. So I am going to look into getting a used stock actuator for back up. The aftermarket one is still stronger, safer, and better. Yes the dealer has treated me right for a change. I don't want to get started on how much money I have spent there, and the issues I had with them with my 04 WRX.

Does stage 2 include the Cobb AccessPort Stage 2 map?

I keed I keeed

I am actually on a custom tune.

Thanks for the support there Brady, oh, and the spell correct. My bother-in-law (high school english teacher) would be proud of you. I personally would hope that us fellow subie owners would hear the story and help a bother out, rather than give him a spell correct and put downs. Anyone else have SH!T to talk.

So let me get this straight, you're tuned for more power than stock and you expect the stock boost actuator to hold up? And then you want the dealer/SoA to pay for the stock boost actuator, which has likely been damaged by running a custom tune that is more aggresive than Cobb's Stage 2 tune? Please tell I'm wrong.
I keed I keeed

So let me get this straight, you're tuned for more power than stock and you expect the stock boost actuator to hold up? And then you want the dealer/SoA to pay for the stock boost actuator, which has likely been damaged by running a custom tune that is more aggresive than Cobb's Stage 2 tune? Please tell I'm wrong.

Sounds like what he's saying to me...

Point blank firedawgs is you modded your car and more than likely damaged the BA when you took it out or re-installed it. IMHO SOA shouldn't do a thing for it, but they are, just as they do 95% of the time by bending over backwards for customers they don't have too and yet the 5% they don't bend over backwards for still seem to be the loudest complainers....

No no, it's cool "firedawgs." We heard you wanted to return stock parts to your car before your service so Subaru wouldn't have any ammunition to void your warranty if you blow stuff up. And I can tell from your typing/spelling ability and the use of cool words like "Pimparu" that you're really an intelligent, honest, upstanding guy.

Go sell bullshit somewhere else, we get fresh deliveries daily.

We all know that we have to pay to play, if at all we can get teh dealer to cover something that broke, why the hell not. Most, not all dealers will be quick to say that they not honor a warranty due to aftermarket parts. Did firedawgs break his BA?...probably, but is it worth the try? I'd say never know till you try. Quit busting his aggies.

Rick

doogdog,

Subaru of America is picking up the tab for firedawgs boost actuator and not the dealer. If you condone this behavior, then you wouldn't mind if Subaru included the cost of the false warranty claims into the price of your next Subaru purchase.

But I know with 99% probability that you wouldn't want that, so respectfully SHUT THE EFF UP.

I keed I keeed

doogdog,

But I know with 99% probability that you wouldn't want that, so respectfully SHUT THE EFF UP.

There's no need for that so grow up. I'm not going to start that pissing contest with you. Could he have had a faulty BA, sure. You don't know for a fact what caused it to fail. In all likelyhood it was him but you don't know for sure. I'm all for friendly disagreement but give him a break, if the warranty claim was denied I'm sure he wouldn't have pushed the issue.

Rick

doogdog,

My bad, just read it assuming every letter is lowercase and that should make you feel better.

From firedawg's own words:

I recently bought a AVO boost actuator in hopes to keep my boost and get rid of any wastegate flutter. The stock B/A is a 7psi spring, whereas, the AVO is a 15psi spring. With free flow exhaust it is very common to see boost leak/wastegate flutter above 7psi. I bought it from a member of this thread. When I received the B/A I installed it no problem, but the boost was not holding there. I have to make this story short (full story is here AVO boost actuator thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/show...+boost+actuator

It is obvious that his custom tune+free flowing exhaust is too much for the stock boost actuator, which causes wastegate flutter. If it is causing wastegate flutter, then it means there is enough force to overcome the stock boost actuator spring design limits, which overstresses the boost actuator above stock limits that the boost actuator was designed and tested with. So either his engine setup or his uninstall/reinstallation messed the boost actuator up and both are not a manufacturing defect or a part failure on a stock system.

Plus from firedawgs description, it isn't like he has a bad history with the dealer.

Again, I hope I'm wrong because I always hope that LGT owners are more responsible/mature and wouldn't resort to false warranty claims like many WRX owners do.

I keed I keeed

You guys are right. I would not want to put a false claim in, like I mentioned in a few post back. I am buying a used one from a stock turbo, and plan on having it for a back up. I do understand that you play, you pay. The problem I have experienced some of the things already through SOA is that they were trying to deny legitimate claims. I was merely trying to get my turn back. But I do realize that two wrongs don't make a right. That is why I am doing what I am doing.

And like I said before I can take hits and give them too, but I think we are missing that we are all the same team here. Lets all play grown ups and be intuitive to our fellow LGT. If you seriously have beef with someone use the PM.

Sounds like what he's saying to me...

Point blank firedawgs is you modded your car and more than likely damaged the BA when you took it out or re-installed it. IMHO SOA shouldn't do a thing for it, but they are, just as they do 95% of the time by bending over backwards for customers they don't have too and yet the 5% they don't bend over backwards for still seem to be the loudest complainers....

I couldnt agree more.. I hear people say they have legit claims denied by dealers but never hear what they are. Can someone give an example of a claim denied that shouldnt have been. And again its only the 5% who dont get something covered that you hear about. You never hear the 95% say how Subaru covered something and they were thrilled. Even people with modded cars.

Archived