LegacyGT.com

Relocating Fuel Filter Under Hood and Deleting In-Tank Filter.

That 3rd line has to be some kind of emissions vapor line. Don't all car's still use a charcoal canister? If memory serves me correctly any foreign vapor will end up back in the tank vs the atmosphere.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Any thoughts on what the metal piece is that can be seen looking throught the plug hole in the second pic. I thought it strange that they have a wire going to the plug assembly thing, any ideas on that. I feel the need to fully understand the system before I can be confident in redesigning it. I've been contemplating cutting the top open removing the paper element and plastic welding it shut seems plausible and simple if one knew how to weld plastic. I believe the housing is made of nylon plasic

That 3rd line has to be some kind of emissions vapor line. Don't all car's still use a charcoal canister? If memory serves me correctly any foreign vapor will end up back in the tank vs the atmosphere.

Not in this case, the third line is for the jet pump fuel feed, which tees into the fuel return (from fuel rail) and drains into the plastic fuel pump tub.

Charcoal canister has a different line, that feeds fuel vapors from tank to it, and then the vapors/fuel from charcoal canister gets sucked into the turbo inlet.

From what I can tell, maybe Subaru might have wanted to feed the fuel in parallel instead of in serial. Otherwise I don't see why they would have not just molded it shut from the get go.

Any thoughts on what the metal piece is that can be seen looking throught the plug hole in the second pic. I thought it strange that they have a wire going to the plug assembly thing, any ideas on that. I feel the need to fully understand the system before I can be confident in redesigning it. I've been contemplating cutting the top open removing the paper element and plastic welding it shut seems plausible and simple if one knew how to weld plastic. I believe the housing is made of nylon plasic

Here is the metal from the inside, it looks like it pushes against the plastic plug and against the filter. I thought it was there to push the filter down, but it was so flimsy I removed it (in picture I posted earlier)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/General/Fuel%20Pump/CIMG1377.jpg~original

It is nylon, also it looks to be glued/and melted shut the way it is. I don't think you will be able to really put it back together unless you cut it with a saw.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I had the bright idea of looking up other cars that use DW65c 9-652-1008, and low and behold we have the Pontiac GTO. Turns out they have a pretty much identical setup to what we have.

GM part number 92146684, Full post

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/24UGTOinFL/Fuel%20System/IMAG0211.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/24UGTOinFL/Fuel%20System/IMAG0212.jpg

From what I'm reading GM switched to this design a while ago on their trucks. Looks like Subaru decided to get in on that action. This now explains on why there is a secondary connection that is not used by us...

22 Ascent STOCK

Nice work man! I wonder if the Chevy guys already have a bypass method or if any of them would be interested in finding one.

I've been researching plastic welding... I think the most promising method is to carefully cut the top of the filter section open, remove the element and plastic weld the top closed again. Then I gotta figure out a way to pressure test it once it's welded closed again...

Preparing to go on with the intake filter bypass, added an inline engine bay filter.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/General/Fuel%20Filter/CIMG1495.jpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I had the bright idea of looking up other cars that use DW65c 9-652-1008, and low and behold we have the Pontiac GTO. Turns out they have a pretty much identical setup to what we have.

GM part number 92146684, Full post

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/24UGTOinFL/Fuel%20System/IMAG0211.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/24UGTOinFL/Fuel%20System/IMAG0212.jpg

From what I'm reading GM switched to this design a while ago on their trucks. Looks like Subaru decided to get in on that action. This now explains on why there is a secondary connection that is not used by us...

Bumping an old thread, but this might come in handy for someone. The GM/ACdelco filter DOES NOT fit without major modifications. The pump connect, the hoses connect, but the mounts to the rods are just a bit off. First off the spring seat is 30mm high vs 5mm on the Subaru housing so must be cut down. Second the spacing is slightly different for the rods, so you'd have to drill them out for clearance.

It can be made to work in an emergency, but the extra cost of the Subaru one is worth it.

That's for the update, that's good to know! I've seen some Subaru filters go for around $55 on ebay every now and then.

I still like being able to pay $10 per filter though, but that of course didn't come without lots of work. Even then the line I'm using is not sealing perfectly inside the tank :(.

22 Ascent STOCK

• 3 years later...