LegacyGT.com

just bought one!

welcome to the legacy family. its all a matter of feel when driving a stick, get all the seat time you can. the move you drive the easier it will become. it might even be helpful to just sit in the car and practice shifting gears and using the clutch.

try not to grind gears to much or drop the clutch. remember its a 30k car, and not some tractor on a farm that can take abuse.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

Yes, it's normal. You'll stall a lot. :lol:

Just don't panic if you stall and somebody's behind you. Restart the car calmly and keep on truckin'...

Congrats on the new car, and welcome!

Let me tell you my newb manual trans story:

I was new with manual driving. I was leaving a mall parking structure, and you guessed it the worst case scenario: on an incline, with cars in front AND behind me. And it was soooo hard getting the car up without stalling. But I did it!

It wasn't until I was out of that area did I realize I was doing it all in 2nd gear. :lol:

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Congrats on your neww car. =) Like these guys said go easy on the transmission and learn things like "rev matching" from the beginning and all will be well. My first car was a 1974 Chevy 1/2 C10 pickup w/ 4 on the column. I stalled alot in that beast too.

Oh, and im sure some troll will say something about "I wish my daddy had bought me a $30k car" or something to that effect. Just ignore them...

No worries learning manual. You will improve with time. Trust me, I still suck.

Backing up should be really easy (at least for me). You just need to have a foot on the clutch and another on the brake. No need to go faster really. All you have to do in reverse is just let the clutch slowly out while having your right foot on the brake. Once it catches and you see the revs drop, it should try move slowly. Here is when you let off the brake slowly. The car will move slowly, but it picks up quicker than in first gear.

-ben

My lack of skills comes when I'm on a really steep incline, going left onto a busy road, going for a small gap in traffic when someone is behind you, right on your ass. Hate that. I learned MT in an hour.

I'm really suprised about how many young people own legacies.

How old are you? Just curious..PM me if you want

In Oz (I assume it still applies) if you did you licence test in an auto you were not licenced to drive a manual. Most people therefore learn and test in a manual.

Actually I have never owned anything but manuals for 20+ years. Even my wife prefers a manula car :redface: !

My MT driving skills are good.... but I am looking to attain some other "skills" like numchuck- skills or bow-hunting skills or computer-hacking skills.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

yeah! remember girls only want guys who have great skillz!! GOSH!!

ha ha ha!!!:lol:

My MT driving skills are good.... but I am looking to attain some other "skills" like numchuck- skills or bow-hunting skills or computer-hacking skills.

alright.. sorry.. back to the topic..

I stalled my first manual car 4 times on the way home from the dealer. I had people waving and laughing at me.

A little trick I do on REALLY steep hills is to use the safety brake. Pull up on the safety brake so the car doesn't roll back, let the clutch out, hit the gas a little bit and when you feel the car trying to pull forward a little release the safety brake. Off you go.

I have driven a few MT cars, but I find the LGT to be more difficult. I dont "feel" the clutch like I did in my other cars.

+1

Yup, me too. Stalled the car a few times when I first got it too. :p

I'm a little bit more aggressive with the gas when threading the clutch into first gear now with the LGT.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Archived