LegacyGT.com

Squeaky noise from engine bay

• Moderators

Drove to a meeting today and when I got back in the car I had a slight chirp/squeak from the engine bay. At first I was worried it might be a timing belt idler, but it seems to go away if I turn the AC off--assuming something with that belt. I drove back to the office (about 20 minutes) and it seemed to be completely gone.

Anyone have a good idea of what to check first? Doesn't sound like it's the belt itself, but maybe I'm wrong...

Here's a video:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I was thinking they were on the same belt but that's the ps. Maybe the balancer is worn?

Edit: That is definitely a bearing squeek not belt.

Sounds like the bearing in the ac compressor and when you turn the ac on the clutch engages and puts pressure on it.

• Moderators
I was thinking they were on the same belt but that's the ps. Maybe the balancer is worn?

Edit: That is definitely a bearing squeek not belt.

Sounds like the bearing in the ac compressor and when you turn the ac on the clutch engages and puts pressure on it.

I agree that it's probably not a belt--not that type of noise. AC compressor is a possibility, but wouldn't that only happen each time the AC cuts on / off? It was squeaking a couple times every 5 seconds or so, seems way to often for it to be something that cycles when the AC turns on / off, but I honestly don't know exactly how that system works.

Hard to tell from cell phone video on a cell phone. Try just popping the ac belt off see if it still squeeks. See if there is any play in the pulley wiggle it then spin it as fast as you can with your hand see if it makes noise.

• Moderators

Just started it again and turned the AC to full cold--it squeaked. Turned the AC off and it stopped. So at least it seems that it's definitely something in the AC system. Belts are still turning with the AC off so I guess it's not likely to be one of those pulleys since the squeak only seems present when the AC is actually on.

hmm...

Yea I'd be willing to bet it's definitely an ac compressor. When ac is off the clutch is disengaged and the compressor pulley spins freely like an idler. The compressor crankshaft is still. That's why the outside stays still when off. When the magneto get power it's engages the clutch and spins the outside will visably spin spinning the crankshaft of the compressor. You could have a worn compressor clutch and it's slipping while the compressor is on. I'll have to see if I can dig up specs. You just put a feeler gauge in and check the clearance. Some compressor have washers in to make the correct clearance and if in spec you can remove one or get thinner one to tighten up the clearance.

Try Tightening the AC belt tensioner pulley. Reason it squeaks more when you turned AC on is because it got actual load to cause the belt to slightly slip & squeak.

I actually just did the washer removal form AC clutch on my Forester. Legacy doesn't have the same kind of compressor, legacy one doesn't seem to be as serviceable...

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived