LegacyGT.com

Dot 3 vs Dot 4

Hey,

I've been reading that many people have been using Dot 4 brake fluid in our cars. The cap says Dot 3 only, but I've been reading some threads and many have recommended ATE dot 4 fluid. What are the benefits of going to Dot 4 vs Dot 3? Is it safe to replace to Dot 4 with stock brake lines? Thanks for any info!

DOT4 starts off with a higher boiling point but water absorption decreases the boiling point much faster than DOT3 and it cannot hold as much water. If you use DOT4, you should be prepared to replace brake fluid frequently as a regular maintenance item. If you prefer set and forget care, use DOT3.

Only difference is boiling point. You can go up in number but not down as long as you use actual brake fluid. If it's a silicone race fluid the system needs to be flushed you can't mix.

I use dot4 in everything

Just put dot 4 in yesterday. Pedal feels nice and firm. Like they said, just don't mix them. Do a full flush. You will have to do it more often but only once a year under normal driving. It gives you a chance to get a close look at your brakes anyway so that can't hurt.

Otherwise read here

http://www.lelandwest.com/brake-flui...ison-chart.cfm

thanks!! went with dot4. Does that mean if i want to bleed my clutch, i have to go with dot4 for clutch fluid too? Thanks for all the help!

Clutch hydraulics and brake hydraulics are separate systems...unless I've missed something along the way...

Archived