LegacyGT.com

Code Reader...

Hi,

I'm looking for a code reader and software for my iPhone and MacBook that are both very good for my 2006 Subaru Legacy GT. If anyone has some experience here with this, I'd appreciate hearing what you've found out.

Thanks,

Bob M.

Hmm, I'm sure there has to be an app out there that reads codes. The only issue is that you'll need a special cable to hook up to OBD2 port.

Why not just buy a regular code reader? I got one for $30 bucks on amazon and it works pretty well. I mean, what else would you be using it for other than reading codes, checking readiness state and perhaps resetting ECU?

OR you could get accessport which doubles as a code reader, but also a full tuning solution. Hahaha. If you're ready to drop $500 bucks then do that. The only thing about Accessport is that it doesn't check readiness.

Get an ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII dongle and download the Torque App for Android. Oh, and get rid of your iPhone and get an Android. I have used this on my friend's VW, my wife's BMW, well as my 2 Subarus. Works awesome!!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/BrainyTrade-ELM327-Bluetooth-CAN-BUS-Diagnostic/dp/B008TL6RT0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1405969302&sr=8-6&keywords=brainytrade]Amazon.com: BrainyTrade Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool: Automotive[/ame]

Get an ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII dongle and download the Torque App for Android. Oh, and get rid of your iPhone and get an Android. I have used this on my friend's VW, my wife's BMW, well as my 2 Subarus. Works awesome!!

Do you just leave it installed in the car?

Hi,

I'm looking for a code reader and software for my iPhone and MacBook that are both very good for my 2006 Subaru Legacy GT. If anyone has some experience here with this, I'd appreciate hearing what you've found out.

Thanks,

Bob M.

1. Turn key to "ON"

2. Light switch to "ON"

3. Press trip/odo 4 times

4. Turn light switch to "OFF"

5. Press trip/obo 4 times

6. Repeat 2-5 two more times

The code displays on your odometer screen.

I have a MacBook i had to resort to VM Fusion running Win7 and using a tactrix 2.0 cable to accomplish this goal.

If all you want is read codes take the OBD2 dongle approach :) or use the built in reader

Amazon.com: BrainyTrade Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool: Automotive

Will this work with my Galaxy Note 3 (4.4.2)? It says smartphone not Android specifically.

Just ordered one $8.17 shipped not too shabby thanks for the heads up I have soem codes from when I fixed a ABS sensor still stored in the ECU want to get that out of there so I dont read it and think I have a problem!

I use the ELM 327 with wifi, and I connect to it with my iphone. I use the dashcommand app for code reading on my iphone.

ELM 327 with wifi

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AOIM2CC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: LYL® WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC: Automotive[/ame]

I would disregard some of the amazon reviews for the reader above. I didn't have to do any special network configurations like some of the reviews say. You plug the device into your obd2 port, look for the wifi network that it broadcasts, connect to it, and then you should be all set.

DashCommand

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8

It doesn't look like dashcommand has a OSX desktop program though, only for windows.

http://www.palmerperformance.com

From what I remember, I believe iphone's need a OBD2 reader with wifi. Other code readers use bluetooth, which I believe only works with android phones.

This is what I have -

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

The bluetooth is awesome. This reader says it is specifically for Android devices. I use it with my Kindle running TouchScan app which is fully customizable and awesome.

Thanks for your replies, iPhone trashing aside,

The reason I got asking about this was I did a long car trip with a friend recently in his very nice (and nice to drive) BMW. He had a code reader, and app on his iPhone that communicated with the code reader via wi-fi. I was amazed by the number features it had and the vast amounts of engine performance data you can access in real time. He spent about 45 mins with the owner's manual inputting in every conceivable piece of data. I was really impressed by what you can do with this. I know a Subaru is not a BMW but I thought there might be something similar for our also very nice cars. He told me the whole operation (reader and software app) was not too expensive, about $20 for both.

Bob M.

Thanks for your replies, iPhone trashing aside,

The reason I got asking about this was I did a long car trip with a friend recently in his very nice (and nice to drive) BMW. He had a code reader, and app on his iPhone that communicated with the code reader via wi-fi. I was amazed by the number features it had and the vast amounts of engine performance data you can access in real time. He spent about 45 mins with the owner's manual inputting in every conceivable piece of data. I was really impressed by what you can do with this. I know a Subaru is not a BMW but I thought there might be something similar for our also very nice cars. He told me the whole operation (reader and software app) was not too expensive, about $20 for both.

Bob M.

My guess is that it's a Bimmer-specific (branded) app.

Look, you can nickel and dime on code readers all day long. But honestly, your money well-spent is in getting an AP - Does all the code-reading you want, plus a safer tune and the ability to go faster and do more.

You car will thank you for it, and so will your (future) bank account.

• 2 weeks later...

I did check with my friend and the app in question is in fact DashCommand. The creator of this app states that it'll work great with a Subaru. They suggested some code readers for me that are very compatible. For those lucky enough to use the iPhone, the code reader should have wifi to communicate with DashCommand but I believe the Android phone is also supported.

Bob M.

Archived